• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Angus1

Angus1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

Fisrt of all, hi, this is my first post, and first step into the world of pyro, so sory if i ask some stupid questions :blush:
So, ive got a ball mill, but no media, im after some lead media, but i cant find any online in the uk,, i think i must be serching for the wrong thing as i dont know all the terminolagy yet. So the question, whats a cheap place to get lead balls online

Thanks,
Angus
Thanks,
Angus

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:29 PM

That depends! Especially on where you are.

If you are in the UK there are lots of suppliers to be found on here and ebay. First do some (more) reading about milling media -5% of the forum seems to be mill or media related!

If you have a small weedy rock tumbler then ceramic media may suit you. If you mill is more robust the lead media will give better milling and shorter times. If you overload the drum then you will kill the motor and the mill.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 Angus1

Angus1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:09 PM

That depends! Especially on where you are.

If you are in the UK there are lots of suppliers to be found on here and ebay. First do some (more) reading about milling media -5% of the forum seems to be mill or media related!

If you have a small weedy rock tumbler then ceramic media may suit you. If you mill is more robust the lead media will give better milling and shorter times. If you overload the drum then you will kill the motor and the mill.

Thanks, im in the uk. I thought ceramic media sparked? Yes, it is a rock tumbler, and a old one at that, probably about 30 years old, but some WD40 fixed the rusted up rollers :) Ill have a look on ebay...
Thanks,
Angus

#4 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

I thought ceramic media sparked?

Some does, some doesn't. The ceramic media from Inoxia is perfect for a rock tumbler, Cooperman can supply lead media. There are other options, you could buy a length of brass bar and chop it into short lengths or you could cast your own media. They don't have to be round you could just drill some holes in a plank of wood and pour in molten lead.
Phew that was close.

#5 Angus1

Angus1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

Some does, some doesn't. The ceramic media from Inoxia is perfect for a rock tumbler, Cooperman can supply lead media. There are other options, you could buy a length of brass bar and chop it into short lengths or you could cast your own media. They don't have to be round you could just drill some holes in a plank of wood and pour in molten lead.

Ok, thanks, i think ill order some ceramic media today, parents wont let me melt lead, and we havnt got any brass rods...
Thanks,
Angus

#6 Angus1

Angus1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

Out of interest, would brass nuts, or cut up brass bolts be ok even though they dont have a smooth surface?
Thanks,
Angus

#7 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

Roughness retains material which is contamination for the next mill load (unless it's "same again" ) So smooth easy clean media is best.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#8 Angus1

Angus1

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Roughness retains material which is contamination for the next mill load (unless it's "same again" ) So smooth easy clean media is best.

Thanks,
Angus

#9 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:01 AM

If this media will be used to make black powder or other "safe to ball mill" explosives, then contamination should not be an issue, as the media should not be used to mill such materials as metal powders, chlorates and perchlorates which could lead to an exploding mill, regardless of the smoothness of the surface. It is of my opinion, that as long as the brass nuts have not already picked up contaminants, they are perfectly safe, but due to your weak motor, the lighter ceramic will be able to fill the jar optimally with less strain on the motor.

If the media is not going to be used to mill black powder and other similar mixes, then spark proof media is not needed.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#10 AdmiralDonSnider

AdmiralDonSnider

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

If you wanna cast your own media (which is a good choice because it´s cheap and you can add antimony), I saw that there are fishery suppliers that sell forms to cast multiple round sinkers in one operation. They are quite cheap. have a look

#11 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

AdmiralDonSnider pipped me to the post on this one!

I've just discovered sinker moulds as well. I've always cast my own media, but as I made the mould by machining aluminium bar with a ball nosed end mill (which most people don't have the equipment for) I never bothered to write it up.

The sinker moulds come in several sizes, the only snag is that the there is a horizontal hole through the mould (to take the line I guess), but you could easyly block this at the ends with a bit of wood or fireclay - I'll probably screw a bit of metal bar in.

Experiments in progress, write-up on the greenman to follow soon...

PS here is the ebay shop I got mine from - I got the 44g size which come out about 3/4 inch

Sinker Moulds

Edited by phildunford, 17 January 2009 - 09:37 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#12 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:02 AM

I also sell them from stock guys. 17, 21, 24 and 27mm all available ready made.

#13 Fred

Fred

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

A tutorial how to cast your own lead media
(in german, but several pictures):
http://1click.pyrosz...geltutorial.pdf

#14 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Now have a page up about casting lead media using sinker moulds:

thegreenman

If you care to have a peek...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#15 spanner

spanner

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

That's a fine tutorial there, phildunford!

You might give hardening the media by heat treating a try:

Heat Treating Cast Bullets For Better Performance
http://www.surplusri...dness/index.asp

Obviously, this info had reloaders in mind, but no reason not to borrow from it, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users