16 replies to this topic

#1 Green_as_my_powder

Green_as_my_powder

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

Fellow pyros,

I'm looking for cheap sources of the more common chemicals. My budget is getting a little tight.

I'm in the US (I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I've just found this forum very helpful). I have ordered most of my chemicals from skylighter.com and American Pyrotechnics supply.

I guess what I'm most interested in is non-pyro sources for chemicals. For example, I found out (during a meeting at my local pyrotechnics art guild) that you can sometimes get potasium nitrate from greenhouses as a fertilizer, and sulfer from tire manufacturing companies. Any other suggestions along these lines?
And the priest shall take from the cereal offering its memorial portion and burn this on the altar, an offering by fire, a pleasing odor to the LORD.
(Lev 2:9)

--seems to me that if God likes the odor of burnt cereal, He's just gotta love gunpowder...

#2 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Google is your friend. I also find Wikipedia usefull for studying to find general uses and sources but be wary of all the information contained withinn.

The problem you have mostly is that some things are dedicated pyro materials so you may not be able to get them outside the regular chanels and the other stuff is usually sold in 25kg (or large amounts anyway) minimum packs.

Thats why I started selling off the extra stuff I bought in the first place

Edited by cooperman435, 26 January 2009 - 10:32 PM.

#3 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

if you live reasonably close to a farming area, have a look at the agricultural supply places ( Farm supplys ) i go there and yes they only sell in 25kg + bags but its cheap and 1 bag may give you enough to not worry about getting more for a year, ( i re crystalised 100 grams and got back 98 grams , whatever the other 2 grams were must have disipated )

also i got my Atomic sulphur ( Ultra fine ) in 25kg bags ( 1 bag cost $7 a kilo, 2 bags cost $3.60 a kilo, go figure ) so i bought 2, enough for 10 years, from a company called "Orica", but i did have to do some quick talking ) ( they are world wide and probably near you )

#4 spanner

spanner

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:41 PM

Pottery shops online sell oxides and sulfides, binders and some oxidizers- sometimes for much less than pyro dealers. Google pottery supply, pottery clay.

Edited by spanner, 26 January 2009 - 11:43 PM.

#5 electronic firing system

electronic firing system

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

Hello,

We are a fireworks factory in Liuyang of China.
We specializing indoor pyrotechnics and also suppy all kinds of chemicals.
If you are still interested to buy, pls feel free to contact me.

Regards

Angel

Fellow pyros,

I'm looking for cheap sources of the more common chemicals. My budget is getting a little tight.

I'm in the US (I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I've just found this forum very helpful). I have ordered most of my chemicals from skylighter.com and American Pyrotechnics supply.

I guess what I'm most interested in is non-pyro sources for chemicals. For example, I found out (during a meeting at my local pyrotechnics art guild) that you can sometimes get potasium nitrate from greenhouses as a fertilizer, and sulfer from tire manufacturing companies. Any other suggestions along these lines?

#6 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

electronic firing system's post says all. China is the place to buy many of these chemicals for very little money. You will probably end up buying a lot at a time in order to get it at a viable price. Selling at an inflated price is another matter.

#7 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:05 PM

I think you will find that you will have to buy in Tonnes/Container loads if you purchase from China...

I would love to be proved wrong, but I know of no one who has suceeded in importing 'retail' quantities in this way. If there is a willing supplier in China who could legally ship bag (~25Kg) quantities of useful pyro chemicals at reasonable prices, I would love to know their name...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#8 kcnkickthecat

kcnkickthecat

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

If there is a willing supplier in China who could legally ship bag (~25Kg) quantities of useful pyro chemicals at reasonable prices, I would love to know their name...

You can add my name to that request :D
"If at first you don't succeed...

...You haven't used enough black powder!!!"

#9 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

Buying direct from China WILL be cheap. However the parcel will attract attention and import duty and VAT. Also prices quoted may be ex factory meaning that you have also to pay for freight handling and insurance en route.

Buying devices from China will mean that You are the legal importer and responsible for getting each item legally shipped and classified before they may be called fireworks or stage pyro in Europe or the UK.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#10 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

Buying devices from China will mean that You are the legal importer and responsible for getting each item legally shipped and classified before they may be called fireworks or stage pyro in Europe or the UK.

Think we are mostly talking about chems here Arthur...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

Yes I realise that! trying to slip a tonne of perc past customs is going to be a challenge, buying 100g by post from China will be cheap plus postage round the world.

My para 2 above largely refers to "electronic firing system"'s offer to sell stage effects. They need classifying before import, which is a big job even for major importers familiar with the processes of the HSE.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

As I understand it, if you're importing small amounts (10s to a few 100Kg) of chems, the new regs won't apply. However you'll still need to satisfy customs etc., get it delivered by an ADR qualified carrier in the UK, and the shipping will be an expensive excercise - it's not easy to get a good shipping deal on "medium" quantities (i.e. more than a small parcel but less than a container) on normal goods, never mind chems. The ideal would be a firework importer who could get their factory to slip a few drums in a container, but I don't know of anyone who would do that!
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#13 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:37 PM

As I understand it, if you're importing small amounts (10s to a few 100Kg) of chems, the new regs won't apply. However you'll still need to satisfy customs etc., get it delivered by an ADR qualified carrier in the UK, and the shipping will be an expensive excercise - it's not easy to get a good shipping deal on "medium" quantities (i.e. more than a small parcel but less than a container) on normal goods, never mind chems. The ideal would be a firework importer who could get their factory to slip a few drums in a container, but I don't know of anyone who would do that!

I assume you are referring to REACH. I believe as it stands it will only apply to chemicals supplied in quantities larger than 1 tonne per annum. It does not apply to pharma or products of natural origin and the usual prohibitions apply with regard to banned / controlled substances.

I get a feeling due to reach it will make it more difficult to import small amounts of chems outside of Europe. I believe that the intention is for reach to become a worldwide standard, which will make things a bit easier although a very long way off.

I have already checked out the reach list and just about every pyro chemical has been pre-registered.
Phew that was close.

#14 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

Chlorates and perchlorates were sold from a Chinese company to an extremely low price. The problem was that you'd have to purchase 25 metric tonnes of it for a deal...

Edited by Pyroswede, 17 February 2009 - 02:36 PM.

"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#15 spanner

spanner

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:02 PM

I have used Continental Clay to obtain most all of my oxides and carbonates. Good prices and packaging. Ships world wide.

Clay Art Center has red lead, CuSO4, sodium silicate, potassium dichromate, etc. I do not know for sure if they ship WW, but I will contact them and edit this post to reflect their policy.

I have no affiliation with either company except as a satisfied customer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users