• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

The site and forum were taken briefly offline this evening following a denial-of-service attack. Our web host was quick to respond and we are now back online. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

#2 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

Thanks Richard, I wondered what was happening and it's great to see the site online again.

I'd like you to know that I really appreciate the effort you put into this place, and the firework community at large. The same goes to the rest of the team. You all maintain an excellent service and it does not go above our heads even if you get thanked far too rarely for what you do.

Cheers!
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#3 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

I had a bit of a panic attack. I did not know what to do while the misses was watching Eastenders.
Phew that was close.

#4 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

I had a bit of a panic attack. I did not know what to do while the misses was watching Eastenders.

:lol:.....Missed the outage, Hollyoaks and a takeaway curry incident but know what you mean :rolleyes:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#5 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

Apologies for the recent outage of the site and forum. I have been away and today it was brought to my attention that there were issues. I have restarted the webserver and this has rectified the problem. I am still looking into the cause. It would appear to a DDoS attack at this stage.

#6 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

The site was running real slow last night and this morning pages not fully loading and all that.

Why do people do DOS attacks, I suppose it's mostly just pure vandalism.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#7 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

Good to see the site back online. I thought our server might have been washed away by the floods!

Why do people do DOS attacks, I suppose it's mostly just pure vandalism.

It can be deliberate sabotage, a brute force attack to gain passwords and inject malware code, or sometimes just an over-keen web crawler building its index. My company built one once with only 20 nodes and if we weren't careful it could significantly slow even fairly major sites.

The core of the web is still much like the Wild West - you open up a public host and you can never quite predict who or what is going to walk in...

#8 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

good job for sorting it but it looks like they were doing again this morning for about 3hrs.

god they need to get a life.

#9 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

I've had computer problems "at my end" for over a f--ing month now- so I just assumed that it was my computer not getting Pyro Society.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#10 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

Have we had some more outage, or is it Just me?
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#11 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

pass, i' struggled to get in all day and its still slow to load now!

#12 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

Been out for a day... Told Richard yesterday, but he was not near the internet to fix it.

He says it was probably a DDOS attack, but we do seem to get alot of them. I run about 10 websites and I've never had one anywhere else - maybe someone has got it in for us!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#13 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

maybe someone has got it in for us!

its the government i tell you, it a conspiracy.

god someone get this virgin hacker a girlfriend and get a life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users