• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 king lerock

king lerock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

hey do any of you remeber the tiny paper bangers you could get as a kid, they were about the size of a pea and where filled with a cource powder, sif you do remember them do you know how to make them or there proper name so i could by some on-line

#2 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

They would be 'snap pops' I think...

http://www.pintonove...php?imageid=157

http://www.pyrounive...howtheywork.htm

Good luck trying to find them online, I did a quick search and couldn't find any.

EDIT: forgot to mention you probably shouldn't attempt to make them :lol:

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 13 March 2009 - 12:13 AM.

#3 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

Those are now banned in the UK and other countries. They are still widely available in the united states. They contained varying amounts of silver fulminate which is an extremely sensitive high explosive. There are other ways you can make throwable bangers but again it requires a lot of risk taking.

Edited by MDH, 13 March 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#4 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

hey do any of you remeber the tiny paper bangers you could get as a kid, they were about the size of a pea and where filled with a cource powder, sif you do remember them do you know how to make them or there proper name so i could by some on-line

they're still widely available here in Au, in the $2 shop, but have changed from little paper cylinders to twisted up tissue paper,

they used to be called...throw downs or snappers
they sell them here.. http://www.rawspace....duct.cfm?id=147 Australia

they also sell them here http://www.epartyunl...m/snappers.html, but its in the us,

Edited by phill 63, 13 March 2009 - 12:08 PM.

#5 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:13 PM

MDH are you sure there banned in the UK as I still see them all over the place here?

#6 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

Those tiny paper throwdowns are still available, the clay 'torpedo' types are banned though, which were much more powerful and could probably do some damage if set off in the hand.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#7 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

Whatever the law says, both types are available in the UK, the 'snap pops' much more readily than torpedos though...

#8 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

Yup, in my area they were called "POPPITS",and much fun and probably irritation they were,most shops on the sea front sold them during the holiday season,my school chemistry teacher told me the crystals inside the little paper wraps were iodine crystals soaked in bleach and called ammonia iodide,he must have seen the brain cells go into overdrive and quickly pointed out that all the time the mixture was damp it was stable but soon as it was dry leave well alone,as the teacher was a mad professor type i never got round to trying it out to see if he was bulls####ing me

#9 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

Snaps, throwdowns, or torpedoes, are I think classed as childrens fireworks in the UK. They seem to occur more in toyshops and newsagents than in firework shops.

Basically a paper twist with a little gravel and a very tiny amount of a very sensitive primary explosive. If the grains of gravel bang together then the compound will fire. Definitely NOT for attempts at manufacture.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#10 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

Damn annoying things. My son went thro a stage of using all his pocket money buying them, that was after going through the stage of hitting cap rolls with a lump hammer, the throw downs still make me jump.

And me supposed to be a cool pyro dad and all
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#11 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Yup, in my area they were called "POPPITS",and much fun and probably irritation they were,most shops on the sea front sold them during the holiday season,my school chemistry teacher told me the crystals inside the little paper wraps were iodine crystals soaked in bleach and called ammonia iodide,he must have seen the brain cells go into overdrive and quickly pointed out that all the time the mixture was damp it was stable but soon as it was dry leave well alone,as the teacher was a mad professor type i never got round to trying it out to see if he was bulls####ing me

He was bull*****ing you, if that was ammonium iodide it would have gone off as soon it was dried and dispatched from the manufacturer to the shop you bought it from, which i'll add, it's not commercialy manufacured because of it sensitivity.
" iirc the correct name is Ammonium triiodide,
legend has it, "" if you put some under a small piece of meat and placed a cake screen cover over it until it dried then removed the screen, as soon as a fly lands on it it would go off "

they actually contain silver fulminate as already said by MDH

#12 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

Actually if u look higher up this thread you will see its actually Silver fulminate not iodine tri-iodide which would leave a cloud of vapour after use

Edited by cooperman435, 13 March 2009 - 11:20 PM.

#13 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, they are very often sold in markets and the like. I wouldn't bother trying to make your own though, I wonder how they do it commercially?

The other compound everyone is thinking of is nitrogen triiodide. Although it is prepared with ammonia and iodine, the final product itself doesn't actually have ammonia inside

#14 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

The method of manufacture is alluded to in several texts, however ALL of them infer that the process is too dangerous to detail, even when they have detailed other primary explosives.

Count your fingers and keep it that way! Please don't mess with these. When properly made and packed they are a retail commodity, badly made and they will kill or just blow bits of you off.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#15 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

I remember them as 'Devil Bangers', the twisted paper type and came in a box of about 20 IIRC. Not seen them since I was a kid though.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users