#1 defective

defective

NO VICE :(

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:37 AM

can anyone help with a wiring problem?

i have two motors that i could use for my ball mill, but unfortunately dont know how to wire them to a plug safely.

if possible from the picture/s can anyone help or point me in the right direction without telling me to get a professional to have a look, thanks.
" baarweep granaar veep ninibon "

#2 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Where is the motor from? I'm sure we can help if you have a picture(s)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

http://www.mancheste...g_Machines.html

Is a whole page of useful info based on a rock tumbler company. The cheapest offer on the page will get you a simple mill and drum for under £60 -that is certainly cheaper than you can buy the bits.

If you must make something be very careful you will meed to leave the machine running for 5 - 12 hours at a time so it must run safely unattended.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

http://www.mancheste...g_Machines.html

Is a whole page of useful info based on a rock tumbler company. The cheapest offer on the page will get you a simple mill and drum for under £60 -that is certainly cheaper than you can buy the bits.

If you must make something be very careful you will meed to leave the machine running for 5 - 12 hours at a time so it must run safely unattended.

They are cheap, but they are pretty low powered items. I am not sure how they stand up to very heavy jars full of lead crashing about.

I built my mill for £30 and it will easily turn 40Kg which is great when I need to mill chemicals to a fine powder as I can stick a few jars on at once, it even has a variable speed motor controller! (OK I have a bit more workshop kit than most).

With a bit of ingenuity and a few hours in the shed it should be possible to make one even more cheaply, think second hand pillar drill and you have a motor along with pulleys for changing the speed of your mill, you even get a zero volt release switch with that!
Phew that was close.

#5 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

if possible from the picture/s can anyone help or point me in the right direction without telling me to get a professional to have a look, thanks.

Show us the pics Defective...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#6 defective

defective

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

sorry, could think of a website to upload them from, but im not at my house to access the pics now so ill do it some time tomorrow.

the motor is off a tumble dryer and has three wires coming from it, i know i need the capacitor for it but my friend still has that, the wires are red black and white.

other than showing you a picture this is the only useful information i can provide.

#7 defective

defective

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N07/3369265496/

is this any help?

Edited by defective, 19 March 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#8 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

http://www.flickr.co...N07/3369265496/

is this any help?

Although I highly doubt it you could have a 3 phase motor with no ground. Do you know the voltage? It could be a 2 speed motor (with one speed using the red and white and the other speed using the black and white). It is possible the motor is reversible (bonus) with the wiring combos the same as for dual speeds. Otherwise the white might be a ground...
I'd try wiring the black and white from the motor to the black and white on your plug and see what happens. Then try the red and white. Lastly, try black to black, red to white the white from the motor to the green on your plug.

#9 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

Do you have a multimeter to hand??? If so, measure the resistance between the different wires and I can probably work out what's what.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#10 defective

defective

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

thanks for trying tohelp guys, but ive managed to find some pulleys that may be able to be used with my 1/4 hp motor.

its speed is 1450rpm , but i just need to know the size of the pulleys to get the rpm to about 70 or 80.

#11 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

thanks for trying tohelp guys, but ive managed to find some pulleys that may be able to be used with my 1/4 hp motor.

its speed is 1450rpm , but i just need to know the size of the pulleys to get the rpm to about 70 or 80.

Keep in mind that the RPM you want is on the jar. So your speed would depend on drive roller size and jar size. If your drive roller is 1" for example, turning a 6" jar, you already have 6:1 speed reduction.
I use a 1050 rpm motor, my pulley ratio is ~5:1, turning my 1.25" drive roller at ~210rpm (IIRC). This rotates a 4" jar ~65rpm......I think. My numbers might be way out but you get the idea.

#12 Greenman

Greenman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Ive got kinda the same problem only my motor has six wires. Any one can help me and tell me to wire what to what. I also got the capacitator for the job. It all comes from a washing machine. Any help is appreciated:)

Here are som pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

At a guess I would say the 4 wires coming out of the main bit of the motor are the 2 windings and the cable from the bit at the back is some kind of rotation sensor. Do you have a meter to measure the resistance between the wires? that would help decide it.

Edited by pyrotrev, 18 April 2009 - 12:03 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#14 Greenman

Greenman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

At a guess I would say the 4 wires coming out of the main bit of the motor are the 2 windings and the cable from the bit at the back is some kind of rotation sensor. Do you have a meter to measure the resistance between the wires? that would help decide it.

Ok, i just did some test with ohm meter. The brown and red are connecting, if i put electricity. The black and grey are connecting too. The white ones, are not connecting.
Brown and black, and red and grey aren't connecting niether.

I also noticed that the black and grey were connected to brushes, with a piece of graphite touching the motor.

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

#15 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

As a brush motor it is a VERY poor choice for a mill because there will always be dust by the mill, and the brushes will often spark -especially if there is dust present.

Washing machine motors have their own specific needs. Bi direction slow rotation for the wash cycle, then fixed direction fast rotation for the spin cycle. The controller board will be in control of the motor speed and direction. The motor may be AC or DC and the field winding will likely be across the supply. The armature winding could well be fed with a (simply) controlled voltage so that the shaft runs at the intended speed. The part at the end of the motor shaft could even be some kind of tacho transducer.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users