• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#1 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

'Illuminate consult' will in principle run their excellent CAT 4 course just for the UKPS (and forum) members.

This has previously been available through different routes and has been run twice. I think everyone that attended learned a lot. If you pass the course (not a forgone conclusion) you will also have a direct route to insurance and supplies (provided you can find some storage).

It may be that everyone who is interested has already attended, however we would like to gauge interest for another run of the course.

Cost - about £100.
You have to be 18 or over - not our rules, it's the law...
Date and location - to be decided (depending on attendees)
Duration - 1 day
Prerequisites: You must have proper PPE
The course needs about 10 people to run

If you are interested, please add to this post, or PM Phil Dunford. If we get enough responses, we will firm up details.

Would be nice to run such a course in the the name of UKPS - would show that we mean business!

Edited by phildunford, 31 March 2009 - 07:38 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

Put me down. Worth it for a good primer on ADR etc!

#3 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

Count me in if it’s not too far to travel, is there an exam involved :unsure:
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

Very good course. Does not cover ADR but does show how to lawfully work UP TO the ADR limits.

The cost of the previous instances of this course were minimised by having a seriously cheap venue, with cheap refreshments. A better venue with good catering would be nice, and would be more expensive.

ALL serious UK based firers should consider doing this (or a like) course, it demonstrates that you care to work safely.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 Rick

Rick

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

“If you pass the course (not a forgone conclusion) you will also have a direct route to insurance and supplies (provided you can find some storage).”

Neither the Illuminate Consult course nor being awarded the BPA L1 / L2 entitles a person to purchase Category 4 fireworks.

Suppliers have a duty of care to ensure that they supply only professionals – usually taken as a company with 365 day insurance cover with adequate licensed storage (not a registration).

Anyone can get insurance - the only skill needed is being able to sign a cheque.

Training shows commitment to learn/improve and is a way in which a company can demonstrate that their employees are safe and competent.

Arthur’s comment “it demonstrates that you care to work safely” highlights the benefit, to a private individual, of attending a firework course.

I am not on a downer or questioning the quality of courses available, I just think it is important to stress that there are no courses that give a person the right to buy category 4 fireworks.

#6 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

“If you pass the course (not a forgone conclusion) you will also have a direct route to insurance and supplies (provided you can find some storage).”

Neither the Illuminate Consult course nor being awarded the BPA L1 / L2 entitles a person to purchase Category 4 fireworks.

Suppliers have a duty of care to ensure that they supply only professionals – usually taken as a company with 365 day insurance cover with adequate licensed storage (not a registration).

Anyone can get insurance - the only skill needed is being able to sign a cheque.

Training shows commitment to learn/improve and is a way in which a company can demonstrate that their employees are safe and competent.

Arthur’s comment “it demonstrates that you care to work safely” highlights the benefit, to a private individual, of attending a firework course.

I am not on a downer or questioning the quality of courses available, I just think it is important to stress that there are no courses that give a person the right to buy category 4 fireworks.

However apparently this course holds quite some weight with one of the insurers.

So it would certainly help any of those who are hoping to start their own professional company. It will even show a level of competence for those who wish to become firers for other companies. It would certainly help you stand above those who have not had training.

Hey it is even worth £100 just for the information and the experience!

Edited by digger, 01 April 2009 - 04:41 PM.

Phew that was close.

#7 johndee

johndee

UKPS Secretary

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hey it is even worth £100 just for the information and the experience!

I'll second that.

#8 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

I don't want this thread to get off course, it's about this particular training course and if we can get enough people to go on it.

However, as far as I know, there is no proper definition (in the UK) of what constitutes a 'professional' who can buy CAT 4 fireworks. What sellers want is to see is your insurance and something that shows them you have registered storage. It's then up to them whether or not they will sell you CAT 4...

If people want to pursue this question, can I ask that someone starts a new thread please.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#9 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

This course is a great day out with some fireworks to fire, and if well booked it is sensibly priced.

ALL residents of Great Britain will get a huge amount of firework safety knowledge and legal compliance knowledge, enabling you to fire fireworks of any category with an appreciation of the hazards and ways of reducing the risks. The extra legal info relating to Northern Ireland, the IOM and the Channel Islands may be covered on advance request.

Passing the course demonstrates that you care to do fireworks safely, it smooths the way to insurance. The course is a good step towards legal access to cat4 stock BUT is not the only step!

Every GB based member of this forum should consider wisdom and training essential and this course is particularly good. Members from other countries will gain less as there is a significant legal compliance element, and this is directed at compliance with the law of Great Britain.

#10 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

well i might be interested depending on location,

i must admit I made my 1st 4" shell the other day after successfully making quite a few 2" shells over the last 4 months without any problems and it suddenly hit me is the size / weight difference a couple of inches does, and the then made me think if one flower potted or failed what sort of things i could do to minimise a disaster.
that's when i thought of doing a basic course purely for the safety side of things in setting up and firing. (who can put a price on safety after all)

just a couple of questions

Is the course on cat 3 and 4 fireworks ?

could you maybe tell us what sort of things the course covers ect

lastly (sorry for all the questions) what sort of test is it.

many thanks

Edited by PyroPDC, 02 April 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:06 AM

The course is specifically on Cat4 fireworks, exactly what makes a firework which category is discussed on the course. However the course content is also applicable to cat 2 & 3 fireworks.

The exam is in two parts, there is a practical exercise which is supervised, and a multichoice tick box paper of about 40 questions. NO prior knowledge is assumed all the necessary content is covered on the day.

#12 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

Arthur says it all...

No one should be too worried about the exam.

If you listen to the instructors (& it's all interesting stuff, well delivered) you should have no trouble. It's mostly comon sense.

Although aimed at CAT4 it's just as applicable to any fireworks.

Some of the headings from my manual (just a flavour):
Firework Class and Types
Firework Terms
Legislation and Regulations
Emergency Instructions in Writing
Risk Assessment on a Display Site
Method StatementStarting a Display
Injury Avoidance
Transport

And of course you get to set up and fire some CAT 4!
Here I am on my course:

phil.jpg

If you want to look at what goes on at the course, take a look at my flickr photoset here

Edited by phildunford, 02 April 2009 - 08:46 AM.

Posted Imagethegreenman

#13 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

thanks for the info and photos, would certainly be interested as long as it not to far.

#14 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

can I just add that Steve Illidge, one of the course tutors, is a very knowledgeable and experienced fireworks professional and I would have no hesitation is recommending a course designed by Steve to anyone who wants to know more about Cat4 fireworks, legislation and safe handling :)

regards

Stu

#15 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

Kind of put me off, that last post! Illidge:( iil keep using the BPA.

Edited by shell shooter man, 04 April 2009 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users