Map of Users

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

just an idea, Could the forum have a customized google map where users (if they wanted to) could add a pin on the map (only city sort of thing) so everyone can see where everyone is from. its funny being a newbie and talking to other members i have no idea whether they could be very close by or maybe the other side of the world.

even the next training locations / events could be added.

anyway only an idea, but bad / good comments welcome.

#2 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

Actually such a thing does exist, but it's not been updated lately and general users have not been granted access to it, as postcodes are embedded in it and there was some concern about data protection.

I don't personally think this is a problem, and if it was an 'opt in' system there could not possibly be any objection.

I'll run it past the management committee at the next meeting (Wednesday) and see what they think. Personally I think it would be a very useful tool.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#3 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

Actually such a thing does exist, but it's not been updated lately and general users have not been granted access to it, as postcodes are embedded in it and there was some concern about data protection.

I don't personally think this is a problem, and if it was an 'opt in' system there could not possibly be any objection.

I'll run it past the management committee at the next meeting (Wednesday) and see what they think. Personally I think it would be a very useful tool.

not sure if your map is google but if it helps i know google maps will let you put in only the 1st part of the postcode so like i can put pe3 and it would still show up around the area but keep my exact area privet.

Edited by PyroPDC, 06 April 2009 - 04:49 PM.

#4 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

A good idea. I will look into this and report back.

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

Not all members would give correct details if there was a risk of being outed to the neighbours.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

The outer postcode (the first part) is generally wide enough to maintain privacy. I am going on the assumption that it will only be possible to tell the forum the first part of your postcode and not the second.

#7 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:07 PM

OK boys and girls! I am pleased to announce the Beta version of... drum roll... The Forum Members Map

The map is powered by the Google Maps API.

http://www.pyrosocie...ystem/forum/map

Visit the link above and follow the instructions to appear on the map. Basically in your forum profile, find and amend: My Controls > Edit Profile Information > Members Map Location.

You can provide just about any recognised place name such as a town, a city, or the first part of your postcode. Visitors from outside the UK, zoom out on the map to view members in your part of the world. Roll over a marker with the mouse to see the forum member's username as it is publicly displayed.

To protect privacy, please don't add your full address or postcode.

I will be adding more whistles and bells soon, but for now, have a bit of fun and add yourself to the map!

#8 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:31 PM

very nice i like how its linked to our personal profile on this forum. maybe a link up on the top of the forum near the Calendar button for quick access to the map.

chears

Edited by PyroPDC, 08 April 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#9 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:35 PM

Hi Rich,

I've added mine, but it's not come up yet...

Looking in the HTML, there are about about 5 entries, but only you and PDC come up for me - maybe a delay in the geolocates...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#10 johndee

johndee

UKPS Secretary

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hi Rich,

Looking in the HTML, there are about about 5 entries, but only you and PDC come up for me - maybe a delay in the geolocates...

Mine works when I put in London, but does not work when I use my postcode.

#11 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hi Rich,

my was stright away i just added my 1st part of my post code in the Members Map Location box and worked 1st time.

#12 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

It does seem to be a nuance of the geocoding that Google uses. Phil, and others, try entering something like 'Battersea, London' or 'Broughton, North Yorkshire'. The more detail and context you provide, the more accurate it seems.

#13 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

ahh i can see you phildunford it shows in north america is that right ??

Edited by PyroPDC, 08 April 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#14 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

Lol Phil, there is a Battersea near Los Angeles. When did you move over there then mate? :lol: Definately worth adding context to place names I reckon! Battersea, London works as expected.

#15 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

Lol Phil, there is a Battersea near Los Angeles. When did you move over there then mate? :lol: Definately worth adding context to place names I reckon! Battersea, London works as expected.

Yanks! They have even nicked Battersea!

OK when I put in SW11, it did not seem to display. When I put in London, it displayed, but John Dee dissapeared. Battersea moved me to America, but Battersea, London seems to do it OK...

Good stuff Rich, but Google's Geolocate does seem a little eccentric!
Posted Imagethegreenman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users