Mortar Rack Design

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

ok i have a load of mortar tubes to rack up and rather than re-inventing the wheel, id like to know a good and means tested way of a good rack design that is safe and strong enough to withstand a possible mortar failure.

i have 2", 3" 4" and 6" to build
though iv seen seen some 6" racks, are they safe at such size in a rack.

iv seen so many designs my head is spinning lol, some with spacing between tubes some without ?

personal i don't mind what design i do, i just want a good safe design.

i did do a lot of searching but after 20 pages and still nothing im assuming it hasn't been talked about much.

can anyone help ??

Edited by PyroPDC, 13 May 2009 - 02:12 PM.

#2 Greenman

Greenman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

i have 2", 3" 4" and 6" to build
though iv seen seen some 6" racks, are they safe at such size in a rack.

i did do a lot of searching but after 20 pages and still nothing im assuming it hasn't been talked about much.

can anyone help ??

All depends on the effects you wish to achieve. You could go for a very stable and safe normal finale rack. Its basicaly just a woodbox, with two, four, six etc. mortars supporting on each other, and held together by the side of the box.
Or, if you wish to cover more of the skies under a show, you should get an angeled rack. Traditionally the tubes are held together by a box, and the mortars are angeled through the top piece of the box.
If build right, all types of racks are safe!

Its all up to you. Keep in mind that angeled racks are more time consuming adn difficult to make, then stanard finale racks.

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

If build right, all types of racks are safe!

Depends what you mean by safe! A 3" flowerpot will throw out lethal fragments from a standard wooden rack, up to 30M! I've seen films of the tests...

Current thinking tends toward a rack made from welded steel box section that will tend to stay intact under nearly all failure conditions. Not something most of us can home construct though...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#4 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

Current thinking tends toward a rack made from welded steel box section that will tend to stay intact under nearly all failure conditions. Not something most of us can home construct though...

Or lift without a crane.

Edited by Mortartube, 13 May 2009 - 03:12 PM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#5 Greenman

Greenman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

I meant safe in the term that the rack doesnt get knocked down when the lift goes off. A flowerpot is never safe, even though the casulties gets considerably less important using a steelbox. However, i dont see myself draging around steelboxes when preparing for a show.

#6 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

i do like a steal design but as pointed out i would need to find someone who knows about welding ect but iv seen a few large company's use them and swear by them, the biggest problem im worried about is a shell flower potting which in effect damages the whole rack and mortars thrown out of the rack and direct a shell toward the audience.

#7 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

If you are intending to do the Cat4 course, then WAIT til the course and ask the questions of the tutors! They are among the top professionals in setting up to minimise error, hazard and risk.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#8 mlepyro

mlepyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

We use steel for our racks. ERW tube that varies in thickness depending on where and what the material is doing.

Welding wise, it is a very labour intensive process - every seam, every side is welded fully.

We've tested our 6" racks extensively by firing shells inside the tubes. Some companies like space between tubes but we have found if they are touching it is safer.

Mat
MLE Pyrotechnics Limited
www.mlepyro.co.uk www.firebywire.co.uk

#9 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

The racks we use in shows are mostly steel, but there are a few old wooden ones around. The wooden ones are for 2" and 3" only and are simply made with 1" plywood top and bottom with holes for the mortars to go through and 2 x 4 sides IIRC. The steel racks are one sided frames with the mortars spaced apart and held in place by steel bands. The steel bands always face away from the shooter.I've seen salute CATOs with no damage to the rack.

However you decide to build your racks, just make sure you have legs running along the ground long enough so the rack won't fall over. You can also stake them into the ground.

#10 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:13 PM

However you decide to build your racks, just make sure you have legs running along the ground long enough so the rack won't fall over. You can also stake them into the ground.

Know this seems basic, but it's more important than anything else (almost). I suspect more accidents have happened through tubes falling over than from catos...

BTW steel racks are not as heavy as you might think - anyway, not compared to some super-strong wooden ones I've seen!
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#11 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

steal is sounding more and more tempting to use, does anyone know any company's in uk that sell steal racks, or who I could approach to have them made ? though i have no idea how much iver would cost it sounds like steal rack would last longer and be safer to use.

#12 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

steal is sounding more and more tempting to use, does anyone know any company's in uk that sell steal racks, or who I could approach to have them made ? though i have no idea how much iver would cost it sounds like steal rack would last longer and be safer to use.

Not sure about sellers, but you could contact a local welding shop. A steel rack should last forever if well built.

#13 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

I'm afraid I can't quite understand all of your post (spelling!!! - when do we get a spellchecker Rich??), but suffice it to say I'm looking into getting metal racks produced in volume and there might be a few for sale - by the time they've been galvanised though expect a price of at least £40..50
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#14 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

I'm afraid I can't quite understand all of your post (spelling!!! - when do we get a spellchecker Rich??), but suffice it to say I'm looking into getting metal racks produced in volume and there might be a few for sale - by the time they've been galvanised though expect a price of at least £40..50

:rolleyes: I agree spelling may not be one of my strong points, But it seems the spell checker on firefox also can't spell as it says it's ok lol. So i have no hope in getting it right :lol:

I'm just asking around at the moment getting some quotes. So I might be interested depending on what I find.

Edited by PyroPDC, 15 May 2009 - 05:51 PM.

#15 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

:rolleyes: I agree spelling may not be one of my strong points, But it seems the spell checker on firefox also can't spell as it says it's ok lol. So i have no hope in getting it right :lol:

I'm just asking around at the moment getting some quotes. So I might be interested depending on what I find.

Problem is a number of your words are wrong but with the correct spelling. Steel Steal companies company's
Phew that was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users