hexamine

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

Does hexamine need to powdered for use in colour formulas? if so can it be ball milled? also does it absorb moisture from air?
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#2 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

As far as I know it's not hygroscopic. According to a few MSDSs though, it is 'sensitive to humidity' whatever that means...

As far as storage/usage goes I store mine in airtight plastic and haven't had any problems with it. It does tend to cake and I don't fancy trying to ball mill it (it's quite waxy so not sure how well that'd work) so I give it a quick whizz in a coffee grinder before using it. You certainly want it to be finely powdered for use in colour formulas.

Making some blues are we? :D

#3 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

As far as I know it's not hygroscopic. According to a few MSDSs though, it is 'sensitive to humidity' whatever that means...

As far as storage/usage goes I store mine in airtight plastic and haven't had any problems with it. It does tend to cake and I don't fancy trying to ball mill it (it's quite waxy so not sure how well that'd work) so I give it a quick whizz in a coffee grinder before using it. You certainly want it to be finely powdered for use in colour formulas.

Making some blues are we? :D

#4 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

Still at it hopefully persistence will pay off :rolleyes:

#5 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

The "sensitive to moisture" means that it very slowly hydrolyses, thus the smell.

#6 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

that explains why the smell went when i heated it in the oven prior to ball milling :rolleyes:

#7 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:28 AM

Nothing like the smell of fresh fish is there ;) lol
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#8 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

I have been looking for some hexamine for a blue comp and all i have come across are hexamine fuel tablets and was wondering are these pure hexamine?

#9 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Have a look on ebay,somebody was listing hexamine already powdered,200g a go at reasonable money,tablets really are for cooking stoves and a bit of a pain to grind or mill and probably dearer than already prepared stuff.

#10 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:48 PM

I will be getting a big delivery of hexamine in about two weeks time. I will able to do abaout a kilo for the price of the 200g on ebay!
Phew that was close.

#11 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

Ill wait out until then digger for my chemical order as I think I will be adding that to it :>

#12 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

I will be getting a big delivery of hexamine in about two weeks time. I will able to do abaout a kilo for the price of the 200g on ebay!

Smashing digger,i was going to place a order for a few bits so i will just hang on a bit longer.

#13 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

I've never understood the use of hexamine in blue compositions. Surely you are trying to lower the flame temperature, whereas hexamine has an extremely high heat output when compared to other organic fuels?

I've used it successfully in reds for this very reason as I was making bengal matches - I was worried that a metallic fuel may spit sparks in close proximity to the users hand.

Edited by pyromaniac303, 04 April 2010 - 03:20 PM.

You can never have a long enough fuse...

#14 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

I have made dodgy strobing comps using hexamine that seems to work pretty darn well. I think hexamine is a whole new world to explore which has not yet been explored. I also thought hexamine was not dangerous to handle?

#15 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:50 PM

I've never understood the use of hexamine in blue compositions. Surely you are trying to lower the flame temperature, whereas hexamine has an extremely high heat output when compared to other organic fuels?

I've used it successfully in reds for this very reason as I was making bengal matches - I was worried that a metallic fuel may spit sparks in close proximity to the users hand.

The reason for the use of hexamine is that it dramatically increases the size of the flame envelope. Thus it has two functions, to increase the size of the light source and to reduce the temperature as the heat is spread over a larger volume.

It does work, my best blue to date had hexamine in it.

Edited by digger, 04 April 2010 - 05:51 PM.

Phew that was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users