A big thank you to Kimbolton Fireworks

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

well im back home now from the factory tour and would like to say a big thank you to Kimbolton Fireworks and UKPS for organising the event.

For me it was a big eye opener, And learnt a few new things from the manufacturing side of things (like using metal washers in fountain chokes).

Ron Lancaster was a pleasure to meet and gave a interesting tour of his factory.

I have a load of pictures I can upload but ill wait to see if I have permission from Richard since I don't know if Kimbolton would mind.

Edited by PyroPDC, 19 June 2009 - 11:39 PM.

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

Yes once again Many thanks to Richard and Rev R Lancaster and Kimbolton Fireworks for a fantastic meeting and factory tour.

Also great to meet people over dinner afterwards.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

Very interesrting!! thanks Richard thanks Ron (i hope your knee holds out)
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#4 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

Glad you all enjoyed the visit. I certainly did and it was nice to see so many faces! I look forward to seeing some pictures and video from the tour.

#5 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, BIG thanks to Richard, Ron Lancaster and Kimbolton. What a great (and funny) guy he is, loved his stories :) Was like meeting a celeb for me :rolleyes:

Can't wait for the pic/vids, I'll upload what I got later
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#6 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

Thanks Richard, and anyone else involved in organising the trip to Kimbolton,.............The Reverend Ron Lancaster was most accomodating and interesting,....although I was wondering if there was a little professional envy regarding he`s comments on Brock`s firework!,....which I though was quite funny!

#7 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

Cannot wait to see the pictures :) Wish I could have come along :(. What did he mention about Brocks, Crystal Palace Fireworks? Wouldn't using metal washers for chokes in fountains be dangerous as the washer would act like a bullet if the firework CATO'd whereas a clay plug should shatter?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#8 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

Wouldn't using metal washers for chokes in fountains be dangerous as the washer would act like a bullet if the firework CATO'd whereas a clay plug should shatter?

You would think so, but it works!!! The ID was 75mm with a choke of 12mm?.....What a burn-time ;)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#9 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:04 PM

Cannot wait to see the pictures :) Wish I could have come along :( . What did he mention about Brocks, Crystal Palace Fireworks? Wouldn't using metal washers for chokes in fountains be dangerous as the washer would act like a bullet if the firework CATO'd whereas a clay plug should shatter?

Yeah, can`t wait for the pics myself,.........shame you couldn`t make it pyrotechnist (I did ask where you were), Im sure you would have found it very interesting to see the manufacturing set-up!

On one occasion, I think the reverend was talking about the finer aspects of other companies like Wilders & Pains in respect of process/ingredients etc of compositions,.........he said something along the lines of `bucket loads` where Brocks were concerned,.........along with being in the right place at the right time when fireworks were at there most popular in the golden days,...............perhaps the reverend has some personal experience or contacts with others at Standard when they bought out Brock`s in its last days?

I did ask him about the 2012 games,.......and whether his company had been approach to do the display,...........he`s reply was NO!,........but he hope they would (being a british company that does some manufacturing),..........his son is an MP,.......so they might have some influence!

I think the metal washer chokes would be fine,....... given most large display fountains are pointing upwards, and providing they are bunged/compressed/crimped under high pressure in there casings professionally,...........did anyone see the actual process in action?

I could have spent days interviewing him on his knowledge and set-up,....he probably would have been sick of me after 10 minutes, LOL! :rolleyes:

#10 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

ok here's part one of my photos

1st we met the one and only Ron Lancaster
Posted Image

we were then taken to see there manufacturing huts. one of the huts a man was making gerbs, quite surprising they place a washer inside the clay when it is compressed, the washer strengthen the choke and inside the choke was curved so all pressure didn't hit a flat surface therefore less chance of the choke failure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A picture of the press at 2000PSI
Posted Image

a finished produt
Posted Image

a demonstration of the gerb.
Posted Image

we then got showed a hut where they roll stars all motors were outside for safety.

Posted Image

close-up of the stars
Posted Image

next hut they were pressing stars, all presses had a lexan shield that came down the protect the operator.
finished product waiting to go to the dry room
Posted Image

part 2 in a bit

Edited by PyroPDC, 20 June 2009 - 06:37 PM.

#11 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

we got showed into a storage hut what looked like cat 3 cakes, selection boxes, and rockets
Posted Image

rockets :D
Posted Image

next hut was the boxing room where they boxed up all the fireworks ready for shipping.
Posted Image

ron demonstrating a old tube crimper to make chokes

Posted Image

Posted Image

part 3 in a bit...

Edited by PyroPDC, 20 June 2009 - 06:48 PM.

#12 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:55 PM

A big thank you to all concerned,it was fantastic to meet Rev Lancaster and to see how to factory opperates.

Its a shame i could not join you all after for a pint etc,but as it was it took me five and a half hours to get home,(nightmare on the M25),i still got back in time to see the Wurzels!

Also i thought Patrick Scotland deserves a pat on the back for traveling down from Edinborough,top man.

Edited by starseeker, 20 June 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#13 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:42 AM

Wow thank you for the images up to now, cannot wait to see more :). Looks like an impressive factory, I hope to come on the next one Crystal Palace Fireworks and will meet you there :). Them fountains are some huge buggers aren't they... pffft wouldn't like to stand near one of them going off. So what fireworks do they make at Kimbolton now?

It is a shame that we couldn't obtain the Brocks formula list, did he mention if they where still good fireworks in the last days at all? It must have been weird having a Brock family member see his factory. The Brocks factory would have been an impressive site being the size it was though the original factories are long gone but we still have one left behind in Sanquhar waiting to be explored :).

#14 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

Wow thank you for the images up to now, cannot wait to see more :) . Looks like an impressive factory, I hope to come on the next one Crystal Palace Fireworks and will meet you there :) . Them fountains are some huge buggers aren't they... pffft wouldn't like to stand near one of them going off. So what fireworks do they make at Kimbolton now?

It is a shame that we couldn't obtain the Brocks formula list, did he mention if they where still good fireworks in the last days at all? It must have been weird having a Brock family member see his factory. The Brocks factory would have been an impressive site being the size it was though the original factories are long gone but we still have one left behind in Sanquhar waiting to be explored :) .

As far as I could tell,..... other than large gerbs, they were mostly large shells and some lancework.

Ron Lancaster himself said he would have liked to obtain Pains formula`s, but unfortunately no one had found the personal private papers or published them in book (as far as I know).

Its difficult to know for sure, whether the reverend was refering to Brock`s retail fireworks or not in last days of Brock`s without asking him directly,..............trying to listen to others ask him questions (and take it in) and visually checking out the sheds etc was frustrating, and thats without talking to others along the way and trying to get close to him was almost impossible at times.

Im not even sure there is a complete brock formula list!

Thinking about it, I think we missed a trick (unless someone knows more),.............we should have miked-him up for the duration of the tour and recorded his words for posterity and historical reasons!

Was it weird for me to see his factory?,....answer;- definately No,..... just very exciting to see a small firework factory in working motion, and to listen to the man himself.

Sanquhar;- If Richard H and the commitee are interested (and have the time),...........Im sure they could enquire/organise a long weekend trip (providing we get permission from the management company `Brock`s Explosives ltd`to enter for a guided tour).

#15 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

What a shame someone must have the formulas but arnt giving them away :(. I assume Brocks Fireworks would have been the best at the time though I dont know. It is great that we have a select few factories left like Kimbolton though I hope soon we have more and maybe the economic down turn will open new windows to be exploited by removing some of the major Chinese imports. What was the factory layout of Kimbolton?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users