#31 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

Thanks Rich.
Yeah I haven't any other problems apart from that one, although just noticed that 'View New Content' comes up with old content. I bet it's p***ing you off sorting the bugs out mate, rather you than me :P

For others; I'm on IE7 and haven't had any real problems. The new look is starting to grow on me
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#32 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:15 AM

I think it was Phil Dunford that asked if it is possible to install new skins on here. Is it possible to have a new skin that looks like the old layout because I really am not getting on with this one?
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#33 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

I think it was Phil Dunford that asked if it is possible to install new skins on here. Is it possible to have a new skin that looks like the old layout because I really am not getting on with this one?

Was not actually me, but I did like the old look better - I'm sure I'll get used to this one.

Arthur - to get at your messages click on your user name at the top right of the screen. Some browsers don't make it obvious that this is a drop down menu.

On looking around at other boards using this software, Invision does not attempt to support IE6. I think this is very short sighted of them, but it's Invision's fault and not Richards... IE6 is not all that old in computer terms and is still in use on alot of sytems. IPboard is the first piece of commercial software I've seen that seriously fails to support this older browser. The result is that if you use IE6, alot of the functions of the board are very cranky/ don't work. I've not upgraded past IE6 on my main home computer, as I don't like tabbed browsing and the irritating additional 'security' features of IE7.

I hope there will be some real advantage in the future to the board upgrade (some new functionality perhaps) but at the moment, I can't see any.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#34 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

It would be very foolish not to upgrade in the long term. Potentially it would get to a stage where you are locked into a particular version of the software and there is no way to upgrade as it has become hopelessly out of date. As a full time web developer, I would say IE6's market share is very much in decline. It is still used by a lot of corporates, but it won't last forever. Really the problem is not with Invision choosing to ignore supporting IE6, the problem is IE6 not supporting well established web standards. Unfortunately upto this point, many developers have deliberately had to produce separate stylesheets and markup (hacks in effect!) that are backwards compatible with that browser. Unfortunately it is a case again of the world versus Microsoft.

There is a rapidly growing trend not to support IE6 these days. The issue we face is educating users of the benefits of using a browser that supports web standards, and that in itself will subsequently allow for richer content to be delivered. IE6 is nothing but a major pain, and in my opinion, the sooner it is gone, the better.

One word... Firefox :D

#35 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

While it's obviously a good idea to keep up-to-date with the software, I'm really not getting on with this new 'view new content' button... Not atall bothered by the new look, but the browsing experience has gone from very smooth to extremely clunky and annoying...

I get thousands of topics, no 'view last post' button so to read the last post I have to manually skip to the last page of the thread. Any ideas how to get back some of the functionality of the last version?

#36 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

The new sofware doesn't know what you have looked at before, so it shows all as unread. Look at the bottom for "mark forum as read" button. Once you have done a visual VNP by date hit the Mark forum as read button and VNP is then only new posts.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#37 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

Odd thing is that if I create a post and then do 'view new content' my post does not appear, though it does if I look at 'today's active content'.

Maybe it thinks it's not new if I created it - It's not how the old system worked though...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#38 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:31 PM

that's correct as you will have already viewed it when you posted it.

The old site was technically incorrect for showing you it though the orange box wasn't there to say it had new content remember?

#39 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

that's correct as you will have already viewed it when you posted it.

hmmm - liked it better the other way...
Posted Imagethegreenman

#40 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:03 PM

I there's a"reputation" bar on my profile, now im not a bad joiner.. but i dont think thats the kind of reputation its asking for ^_^ , so whats it for? its set at zero at the moment .

#41 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:35 PM

its so people can rate you and their experiences with you to give others a general overview of your reputation on the forum.

Its anonymous and averages out the scores of all the people who have rated you.

BE AFRAID!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users