• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

Know it seems early, but we need to be thinking about the 2010 AGM. Guess this will happen some time around Easter.

The first one was at Stafford, the second at Heckington and the third in London. I could probably get the London venue again, but my gut feeling is that we should move it around a bit. Geographically the next area would appear somewhere to the West, Reading/ Oxford or maybe as far as the West Country.

Does anyone have access to a venue that would be able to stage it? Preferably free, although I imagine some funds would be available if required. You would also need to be willing to do the local organisation/ liason, although obviously lots of people will be available on the day.

Please put your thinking caps on...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

The dry formal AGM is a short affair! The interesting bit that attracts people is the rest of the event! Does anyone have an idea who would make a good speaker after the AGM, preferably someone we could afford.

London has some advantages as all transport seems to converge there.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Know it seems early, but we need to be thinking about the 2010 AGM. Guess this will happen some time around Easter.

And I thought I was premature, thinking about Bonfire Night! :P
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#4 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:29 PM

Phil, there's a good chance I can offer to host the next AGM here in Oxford.

I'll get in touch over the weekend to discuss.

Edited by BrightStar, 24 July 2009 - 11:42 PM.

#5 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Arthur: Yes, I know the strict AGM business is a dry affair, that's why we always arrange so many other exciting things to happen at the same time, as in this year's one in London - 3 talks + star rolling + films + show and tell + firework display if you recall...

David: Know it seems way in advance, but in my opinion, if we have any pretentions to being a professional organisation, major events should be published perhaps six months in advance, probably in Spark, then members have no excuse for not coming!

Brightstar: Thanks, could be ideal! Let me know your thoughts and I will pass them on to the committee next week.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#6 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

Which is why I PM'ed you the phone number of an interesting speaker.

#7 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

David: Know it seems way in advance, but in my opinion, if we have any pretentions to being a professional organisation, major events should be published perhaps six months in advance, probably in Spark, then members have no excuse for not coming!

Yeah, I know what you mean- and I do agree that planning in advance is good!

That said, personally I can't think past bonfire night! B)

#8 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

The first one was at Stafford, the second at Heckington and the third in London. I could probably get the London venue again, but my gut feeling is that we should move it around a bit. Geographically the next area would appear somewhere to the West, Reading/ Oxford or maybe as far as the West Country.

Does anyone have access to a venue that would be able to stage it? Preferably free, although I imagine some funds would be available if required. You would also need to be willing to do the local organisation/ liason, although obviously lots of people will be available on the day.

Please put your thinking caps on...

I also have a venue which would perfect for the talks etc,with the added bonus of a very large sports field right next to it.

#9 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

Thanks to both Brightstar and Staseeker. Maybe you could PM me with a few details. It's good to have more than one option...
Posted Imagethegreenman

#10 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

Having just watched the Loiseaux family take down a rocket launch tower what about one of them as a speaker? I wonder if their international travels will come our way at AGM time.

#11 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

How about a northern venue this time it seems to be getting stuck in what I would call the south.
Phew that was close.

#12 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

Have you a place in mind?

#13 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:54 AM

Im trying to source a venue as we speak gents.

#14 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:00 AM

How about a northern venue this time it seems to be getting stuck in what I would call the south.

Yeah, I see what you mean- Staffordshire, Lincolnshire, and London are all to the south of the "British equator" , so to speak.

#15 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:24 AM

The AGMs so far have been at places where the Society can find a venue that is firework friendly, and as cheap as possible.

If you want the AGM to be held in your area then offer a venue!

Room for the meeting, with conference facilities, then firing site with 100m safety distance for a display. Arrange good access to national transport hubs rail, coach, air, road, and if you can get it for free.

At a commercial price a venue like this would be thousands of pounds which the society doesn't have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users