23 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

Is anyone stocking Standard this year? I know it used to be a Supermarket's brand, but I think they might be changing suppliers this year.

It's not a range I see around much any more at all, I just wonder if the brand name is soon going to be gone altogether. I know it's no longer the company it once was (now being a brand name owned by Black Cat) but still, it would be a bit of a shame if it went altogether.

That said, their website does have a decent selection of fireworks, although perhaps last years range.

So yeah- any thoughts on Standard?
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

They were in supermarkets last year thats all I had seen of them, didn't see them in any other shops I went to.

#3 cpfireworks

cpfireworks

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

I know of a couple of shops selling them in south yorks. Doncaster and Rotherham. Both have an extensive range of BC and standard as well as other brands. PM me for the details else I will no doubt be accused of advertising for some friends or something like that.

#4 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

I know of a couple of shops selling them in south yorks. Doncaster and Rotherham. Both have an extensive range of BC and standard as well as other brands. PM me for the details else I will no doubt be accused of advertising for some friends or something like that.

Sorry- I realise my opening post was somewhat ambigious. I was asking "Is anyone stocking Standard this year" in a more open or rhetorical manner, more along the lines of - "Is this still a brand that some shops might be selling." "Is it still popular" etc.

It wasn't a request for information about or direct links to specific sellers.

Edited by David, 14 September 2009 - 04:36 PM.

#5 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

Posted Image

#6 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

Posted Image

I can see his point, the opening post sounded like an invitation to link to websites, which could go aganst forum rules.

#7 Cosmic-16

Cosmic-16

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

well, well, well, found some standard and Black Caton my travels, poped in to have a look not bad really i did buy black cat rockets 10 ring shell rockets £4.99

#8 Epic Fireworks

Epic Fireworks

Pyro Grand Master

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

Check out these Black Cat bargains....

http://www.epicfirew...-cat-fireworks/

Epic Fireworks
Wentworth Business Park
Maple Road
Tankersley
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S75 3DL

Tel - 01226 749 587
Fax - 01226 361 858

#9 cpfireworks

cpfireworks

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

well well well.... I decided to source some of this mega discounted standard / blackcat stuff that is years old. So old in fact that some of it isnt even on the eicad (which officially makes it 1.1G but thats another story which I will go into later.) I was warned that this stuff had done the rounds , shop returns etc. But like anyone else I cannot resist a bargain (or was it) (seeing as I had to source another store and pay for another registration purely for 1.3g items) anyway

I fired the following tonight.
  • Standard Magic flight rockets. verdict quite good value all ok (although a few heads were misshaped , cracked or slightly crushed. all performed good
  • Standard Mini star mines - really good beautiful colours nice fountain start as well!
  • Standard 15 shot cake selection - Oh dear! ! 3 catastrophic failures two exploded through the bottom the 3rd was devastation exploding all at once.
  • Standard Cosmic flowers - another failure fired perfect until the last 3 shots that didnt get off the ground once again the bottom had blown out
  • standard Kaleidoscope - was ok and performed as expected
  • Standard War on mars - oh dear! another failure again bottom blowing out followed by a complete flash over and shots in every direction
  • Black cat 19 shot selection - small bore cakes all performed perfectly and behaved.
  • Standard typhoon twister - really nice cake that performed well
luckily we had loads of room and note all this stuff was carefully staked etc

The high % of failure rates here as really worried me and I would love to know the geographic history of these pieces they may seem a bargain but I have my reservations of their all round safety. I have advised my nephew who owns a shop to not sell these lines or at least do some more product testing. we will fire them all again and let you know the outcome. Better still why not join me 14 Oct silverwood miners welfare thrybergh we will be firing a shed load of pyro for fun. Huge field and I want a big fix Posted Image lets call it pyrofix5 lolPosted Image

BTW different authorities are treating the regulations in different ways my fire officer as said that comsumer items not on eicad will be classed in their eyes as 1.3g (BTW in my case its a small pin wheel) but in the eyes of the law it should be 1.1g. You would be surprised as to how many fireworks fall into this category that are still easily available.

#10 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

Slightly off topic, but the under 5kg NEC storage rule, I think includes 1.1G. :)

So for the small time enthusiast, there is nothing wrong with having (eg) an old Proton Bomb cake at home in storage.

Edited by David, 27 September 2009 - 09:53 PM.

#11 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

you sure about that David...

#12 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, I think so. The 2005 storage regulations say make an exception of less than 5KG NEC from this 1991 SCHEDULE 1

It lists fireworks by UN number, including 0333 , which is 1.1G.

There may, of course, be other laws regarding professional fireworks.

#13 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

plenty of licensing authorities are working to the rule that it's only HT4 that you can store for an unlimited time (under 5kg) so always best to check with whomever may be legally enforcing in your area :)

#14 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

plenty of licensing authorities are working to the rule that it's only HT4 that you can store for an unlimited time (under 5kg) so always best to check with whomever may be legally enforcing in your area Posted Image

I think David's interpretation is correct on this one.

However, LA's will often take differing views - so Stu's advice is well to be considered.

#15 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

as an example

West Yorkshire

HSE (look at the table on page 26)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users