#1 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 03:32 PM

Hi
How many members of this forum who come from the UK actually make really good fireworks?.Are there any webpages around who have video clips of there handmade fireworks in action..Im just starting off in pyro and want to know how good the fireworks can get..
My main intrest will be in arial shells and rockets,comets etc....will i be able to make shells that look as good as the ones you see at large public displays..thats my goal is this too optimistic...
Cheers
sasman

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 04:45 PM

If you have access to the good knowledge sources such as passfire, and mandatory reading, then I see no reason why you can't produce a display firework of good quality. Recently I tested 3/4" titanium gerbs of my own construction and the results were very impressive. I've also successfully made cracker strings as well as both types of star shell.

Always aim higher is my advice! If you keep trying to get the effect you want then I'm sure you will get there.

#3 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 05:17 PM

Hi
How many members of this forum who come from the UK actually make really good fireworks?.Are there any webpages around who have video clips of there handmade fireworks in action..Im just starting off in pyro and want to know how good the fireworks can get..
            My main intrest will be in arial shells and rockets,comets etc....will i be able to make shells that look as good as the ones you see at large public displays..thats my goal is this too optimistic...
Cheers
sasman

Yes, some of us made fireworks that can compete with any professional made firework. If you log into Passfire you will see in the last issue pictures of the last Florida show. Some of the fireworks made by people who come from Europe - and they are bigger and many times better then any you will see on an average show.

Of course - the availability of raw materials and the law make it difficult to work in the UK, so at least some work in different countries.

BigG

Edited by BigG, 13 November 2003 - 05:17 PM.

#4 brightonben

brightonben

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:42 PM

With a few years of reading and lots of experimenting you can make anything. I’ve just started working on my first 8” shell. However I need to obtain a mortar tube to fire it once it’s finished, any ideas? Also, what is this Passfire thing?

#5 robert johnson

robert johnson

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 09:51 PM

Good to see sombody working with shells, I hope that you have had lots of success with your 3's,4's, and 5's etc and for your 8" are you using paper.plastic hemis or double moulded hemis. I hope you get it right fairly quickly as 800/1000 gms of pyro is a lot per shell to throw up in the sky and get it wrong.

#6 brightonben

brightonben

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 11:10 PM

I've had many years of success with all sorts of shells ranging from 2” to 6” ball and cylinder shells. I do find ball shells far superior but the time it takes me to make the hemispheres I tend to veer towards the cylindrical these days. However the 8” I’m working on is a ball shell. I figured its going to be safer on the initial launch to have a round bottom, due to a larger surface area which the lift will push on, that’s if I can find an 8” mortar tube, hint, hint… How many people in this forum make shells? Any good achievements?

#7 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 11:44 PM

I make lil' ity bitty ones. Tommorow however my mate and I are getting together and making a few 2.5" shells, amongst other things.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#8 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 04:56 PM

I've made small colour shells (3"), mainly cylindrical ones. Next project is a large willow shell of some description as I think willows look brilliant. Really nice long hang time etc.

#9 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 06:39 PM

Made my first shells for 5th November.

About 2 1/2" cylinder shells with lampblack willow stars. Worked really well with a nice drop and hang (if you know what I mean!)

Not very huge yet I know, but a good place to start.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#10 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 07:42 PM

Made my first rocket that went up, it reached 3 meters, then it spiralled back and forth out of control multiple times in a fraction of a second before dropping to the ground. It could have gone anywhere, but fortunately it was only plastic.
I think i'll use a mortar with ammonpulver to launch payloads instead.
Where are the matches?

#11 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:31 PM

Hey Panmaster,

Can you please give some more information about the rocket you constructed?

I've got a fair amount of experience regarding rockets so maybe I can help you.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#12 zanes

zanes

The pimply youth of pyro!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 12:36 PM

while I was searching for remains of cat 3 rockets I set off last week, I noticed all of the had a plastic tube, open at one end and with a small hole in the other, inside cardboard tube.
:Message Delivered By Zanes:

All your base are belong to us

:/Message delivered by Zanes:

#13 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:12 PM

I suppose most members are to busy to post video clips of there fireworks.Or is it because most members dont make much pyro?...or don't bother filming it ?..

There are quite a few Non UK members who have posted some really nice video clips the last one posted by Yugen biki is very tasty..Karlfoxman and chemical wazi are the only UK ones who have posted some video clips recently.

I am intrested to know how many other members make "GOOD" fireworks?..

I first asked this question in November 2003 so i thought i would ask it again :) ..

I think filming your pyro creations is very important..when i set off a firework i have an adrenilin rush that fogs out my memory.. without it captured on video i have problems recalling the height, burst size, symmetry, how many stars blown blind etc...

Please post some clips of your "Best fireworks"

I have not made any pyro sofar this year but hopefully in the next few months orso i will be posting quite a few clips...

#14 minalth

minalth

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:00 PM

Most of the fireworks that I set off , I try to photo or video them. Although you don't get the same effect on video, it really helps you remember the effect and how well it worked out. I think it would be great if more members photographed or video their fireworks for the rest of us to see. I love looking at everyone else's work.

I recently set off a 30mm comet as this was the first one I had made, I was unsure about the amount of lift that was required. So I used 10 g. I now know that it was a bit excessive :P.
However , it did make a very nice mine.

Comet Video

I'm looking forward to see other people's videos.

Edited by minalth, 23 September 2005 - 12:55 PM.

If you must argue, remember that it is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

#15 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:07 PM

I suppose most members are to busy to post video clips of there fireworks.Or is it because most members dont make much pyro?...or don't bother filming it ?..

There are quite a few Non UK members who have posted some really nice video clips the last one posted by Yugen biki is very tasty..Karlfoxman and chemical wazi are the only UK ones who have posted some video clips recently.

I am intrested to know how many other members make "GOOD" fireworks?..

I first asked this question in November 2003 so i thought i would ask it again :) ..

I think filming your pyro creations is very important..when i set off a firework i have an adrenilin rush that fogs out my memory.. without it captured on video i have problems recalling the height, burst size, symmetry, how many stars blown blind etc...

Please post some clips of your "Best fireworks"

I have not made any pyro sofar this year but hopefully in the next few months orso i will be posting quite a few clips...

Hey sasman, well you better believe i will be filming my stuff. I have the willow star test to try tonight as i didnt lastnight because was a bit merry after Sunday dinner. Safety first!! I will be working on lots of pyro from now on, i will film as much as i can. Wazi and i will be testing more shells and so long as he TAKES LENS CAP OFF then we will be ok, good job i have my fathers modded webcam rolling too! :D I will post all my vids, maybe get a section on 'BEST FIREWORKS' on the roll here?

Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users