24 replies to this topic

#1 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

We have a seasonal outlet or two that open up close to us for a month, sometimes three to cover Oct to Dec and they sell items at Half Price.

Now, I know that in other retail sectors to claim something is genuinely half price they have to have sold the item for X consecutive weeks at the full price prior to this half price reduction, does the same not apply to fireworks??

#2 The Legendary Graham

The Legendary Graham

If it goes bang its ace.

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

It is supposed, to we have a garden centre near here that sells fireworks at double retail claiming them to be half price, i gave the guy some greif over it and he threatened me with legal action :D

Never buy fireworks from here
We dont do girly shows.!!!

#3 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

I think the regulations vary. "buy one get one free" can be used on pretty much anything, as the retailer isn't making any claims that the price of "one" is discount.

As such, a shop could literally double the price, then offer a second item on a "buy one get one free" "deal." Indeed, thats is exactly what one online seller (a big company) appears to have done.

However, a shop can't claim an item is "on sale" or "discounted" or "was £X" unless it was on sale for the higher price, I think for 28 days within the last year. There is a useful link, I'll look that up.

Regarding the claim "half price" it's a bit more of a grey area. Is it half of an "RRP"? If it's half of a catalogue price, then it seems OK to claim half price, but if it's half a price plucked from thin air, maybe it isn't. Also, I don't think they can claim "half price SALE."
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#4 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

Graham. What legal action did he threaten? Or did he just use the phrase, "I'll take legal action against you?".

What brand range was he selling too? I'd be interested to look at his website when the fireworks come in.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:17 PM

It is supposed, to we have a garden centre near here that sells fireworks at double retail claiming them to be half price, i gave the guy some greif over it and he threatened me with legal action :D

Easier to give them to the local trading standards who will administer the grief for you.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

Here is a link to a PDF file with more information: BEER , I mean BERR file.

#7 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

Wholesalers who sell to retailers do not have to have an annual licence or have to wait until 15/10. However, if a wholesaler is selling to non-bonafide retailers (ie consumers) without an annual licence then they are breaking the law. Responsible wholesalers without an annual licence would normally ask for proof of registration to store.

Maybe someone should check JTF's position on this.........

#8 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

possibly replied to the wrong thread there Mr Chimp :)

#9 The Legendary Graham

The Legendary Graham

If it goes bang its ace.

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

Graham. What legal action did he threaten? Or did he just use the phrase, "I'll take legal action against you?".

What brand range was he selling too? I'd be interested to look at his website when the fireworks come in.

He was selling mostly menshun. And now thinking back i have this wrong he was selling them at normal retail price ie £12 for a darkness invader whilst having labels on them saying that that particular cake had an rrp of £19.99.
When i emailed him claiming he was a rip off merchant he threatened me with legal action claiming there was a business law stating he could advertise them like that so long as they had been on sale something like 6 weeks prior at the higher price, it was a few years ago so i cant remember too much however they still do the same. Hehe they even did the cheeky thing on a demo night of firing 3 of the same cake together, they did state this was the case but to me if your selling and showing off a particular cake firing 3 together still gives the wrong impression.

Edited by The Legandary Graham, 27 September 2009 - 07:00 PM.

#10 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

claiming there was a business law stating he could advertise them like that so long as they had been on sale something like 6 weeks prior at the higher price

If he did actually do that- have them up for sale at the higher price for 6 weeks, then he is in his rights to claim the price IS a reduced price.

The problem, of course, is that it would be hard to prove that he didn't have them for sale at that previously higher price.

Edited by David, 27 September 2009 - 07:24 PM.

#11 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

no David, he cant claim the item has an RRP higher that the actual RRP :)

the link you posted to the pdf had some good information that I can use if similar happens again this year :)

Edited by Starsky72, 27 September 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#12 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

no David, he cant claim the item has an RRP higher that the actual RRP :)

the link you posted to the pdf had some good information that I can use if similar happens again this year :)

From what's been said, I assume he wasn't actually claiming £19.99 was, in exact words the "RRP." He presumably was claiming "WAS" £19.99.

I remember when this was first mention.

#13 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

he was selling them at normal retail price ie £12 for a darkness invader whilst having labels on them saying that that particular cake had an rrp of £19.99.

I just went on what had been posted, that it had a label on saying an rrp of £19.99 :)

#14 The Legendary Graham

The Legendary Graham

If it goes bang its ace.

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

I just went on what had been posted, that it had a label on saying an rrp of £19.99 :)

that is the price he claimed they were supposed to be this is why i got on his case £19.99 was not the rrp for those cakes, and there was not a catalogue or official price list in sight so he could hide this.

#15 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

I do understand your point. I think, in this instance, unless there is clear proof that this shop was in breech of regualtions, its better to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Its possible he said "reduced from" or similar.. rather than RRP

Edited by David, 27 September 2009 - 07:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users