16 replies to this topic

#1 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Whats your views on our society partly sharing a working museum/heritage site that already exists to showcase our UK fireworks history?

Would it not be a good idea to transfer one or two of the old huts etc at the old Wells factory (dartford) and refurbish them to show exhibits etc?, plus occasionally put on a display to raise money and awareness for our society (membership numbers etc) and the site owners?,........obviously we would have to get permission from various owners first!

Are there any members who have a waste carriers license or asbestos removal training?

Would anyone be willing to help out at weekends on ocassion?,...I guess we would need at least 6 of us to make it worthwhile!

http://www.amberleym....uk/index2.html

#2 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:15 PM

Hi Keith,

Well on the face of it, this looks a brilliant idea.

The Amberly site is fabulous. I have been there many times.

Such a hut would be a unique industrial building - which is what Amberly is all about. Obviously we would need to get their agreement etc.

I'd certainly be willing to put some hours into it.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#3 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

Hi Keith,

Well on the face of it, this looks a brilliant idea.

The Amberly site is fabulous. I have been there many times.

Such a hut would be a unique industrial building - which is what Amberly is all about. Obviously we would need to get their agreement etc.

I'd certainly be willing to put some hours into it.

Thanks Phil,

Thats two of us!,......I could definately spend one whole day (every other weekend) helping to dismantle & re-build the hut for a few months if need be to complete it,.....would be great to deck it out with a bench, tools, mannequin in original working clothes (madam tussuades might like to donate), repaint the roof in red oxide, have a gas lantern perched outside the hut window for lighting (as it use to be in the early victorian period),...one of the great aspects of Amberley is we may be able to use other onsite workshops/props to help create originality!

Eventually (in a few years) I would love to see that large nissan hut (old wells factory) dismantled and put to use as a mini firework exhibition centre to house firework adverts, enlarged sepia photo`s, engraved pictures (ILN), cut-away displays, rolling firework film (pathe news) you have, guy fawkes stuff - penny for the guy/gunpowder plot, dummy set piece displays, re-create a 1/12 model of newsagent shop selling fireworks or life size edwardian/victorian news counter/firework display cabinet etc.

Im wondering if we should ask bonfire societies (sussex) to collaborate with us?,..perhaps the BPA? (financial donation) or ask the guys down at the on-line virtual museum site based in plymouth to donate something?

Phil,..Ive not visited Amberly heritage museum myself,.....but I guess its the sort of place Id enjoy immensely!

Come on guys,.....this will be fun, rewarding, interesting, and not too difficult to achieve (providing we get permission), plus it could launch our membership numbers given the number of visitors it gets = more credibility when campainging against the "ban the sale of fireworks brigade" or dealing with other authorities/legislation that affects our hobby!

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 03 October 2009 - 11:49 PM.

#4 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:44 AM

Well Keith, not exactly been bowled over with enthusiasm from other members.

However, I will bring this up at the management meeting this week. It's a brilliant, high profile project and one that I believe would be achievable under the society banner. I would be surprised if the committee was not interested in principle, but how much physical help/ man hours we would be likely to get remains to be seen...

It would of course hinge on Amberly being interested. I would be happy to put together some sort of proposal to them as an initial contact to test the waters. I know the place quite well and what their aims and ethos are, so hopefully I could put the right slant on it.

Do you have any photographs of the building you are thinking about? Also dimensions and type of construction.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#5 concept

concept

Complies with BS7114: Part 2 1988...Not

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

Don't worry Phil I have plenty of enthusiasm for a project like this, dismantling of one of the old Wells huts would be fantastic. Just don't leave it to long otherwise the huts will have dismantled them selves! Getting Amberly on board is of course paramount, I hope they agree to help us with such an important project.

Thanks Doug

#6 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:17 PM

Cheers Phil,....yes Concept (Doug) knows the site better than most of us (just look at his photos of wells on youtube)

Thanks Doug ( I knew you would be interested), thats three of us!,.....we just need another few more members (preferably from the southeast) in terms of traveling issues,...although anyone from around the country is of course welcome to give some of there time.

Phil,..do you think its wise or acceptable to send a personal message to others on this forum (in case they have not read this topic)?.

#7 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:57 PM

Do you have any photographs of the building you are thinking about? Also dimensions and type of construction.
[/quote]

Phil,........In my recent research Ive come across some info on the Brock`s factory in South Norwood that gives an insight on the pryo sheds from around the 1860s.

Take a look at the link below (starts on page 104 or page 86 on the original document).

http://www.archive.o...e/n104/mode/1up

#8 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Wow interesting stuff in that archive doc CPF :). Does anyone know if any (accept the Sanquhar factory) of Brocks factories still exist as deserted buildings or working military pyrotechnic companies etc? I really like the idea of pulling down some of the buildings and re-constructing them, though some of the sheds are made from brick for the looks of it and the weaker ones from metal though they corrugated iron sheeting on a lot of the buildings is coming apart or merely being held together by the vast amount of shrubs and trees surrounding them The best hope for that site would be a complete brand new rebuild of each building to the original specifications which I have here and design. I did have a bit of a plan for this site in the upcoming years, preferably the next 1 or 2 years and hope I can still achieve it though Brocks fireworks in Sanquhar is highly on my list due to the buildings being in a much better condition (though somewhat damp and varied in condition). I would help out if I lived close by though I could help out in other ways if possible.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#9 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

Phil,..do you think its wise or acceptable to send a personal message to others on this forum (in case they have not read this topic)?.

I'm sure it's fine to send PMs to any members you think might be interested...
Posted Imagethegreenman

#10 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for your interest pyrotechist,

My research into Brocks factories/other history etc is ongoing (when I get the time),........apart from what you have mentioned, its unlikely that any brocks factories currently exist as derilict buildings or land.

I will visit the Essex records offices soon to do some extensive research for Brocks Harold Wood factory near me.

There is `Brocks Explosives Ltd` but I have not attempted contact.

Im hoping that some of the sheds at Wells are of mainly wood/corregated metal construction (easy to dismantal/transport),....I think the brick built buildings will have to wait awhile (they are not forgotten).

Pyrotechnist; Did you say you had original plans?...please explain!,.........if you can physically help out on the odd occasion, that would be great!,...Im sure one of us will let you kip down for night (considering your distance).

Thats four of us!.......only another three to go, then we will have the magnificent seven!

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 06 October 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#11 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

Here are the shed dimensions for a standard workshop at wells Clicky would be happy to try my best to help in any way possible. The majority of the buildings are merely sheds plated with corrugated iron that was painted or tarnished red. Here is another pick of a good example of a standard workshop on the site Clicky
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#12 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:18 PM

Here are the shed dimensions for a standard workshop at wells Clicky would be happy to try my best to help in any way possible. The majority of the buildings are merely sheds plated with corrugated iron that was painted or tarnished red. Here is another pick of a good example of a standard workshop on the site Clicky

Excellent,..that would look brilliant at somewhere like Amberly,.......the paint colours can easily be re-created, along with some gravel paths/lawn leading upto it, 1875 Explosive Act signs etc.

I wonder if those particular huts had any services to them?

Also I think it would be a good idea to erect a small brass plate listing its history with names of individuals who helped re-build it!

#13 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

They look perfectly ok to me,just cut the grass and open for business public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif
But seriously if you want a hand (albeit a clumsy one) i'd be happy to help,but i do live the other side of London so my input maybe limited.
Aren't wells based in Swindon ?
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#14 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:43 PM

Stupid smiley face don't work :o(
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#15 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

They look perfectly ok to me,just cut the grass and open for business public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif
But seriously if you want a hand (albeit a clumsy one) i'd be happy to help,but i do live the other side of London so my input maybe limited.
Aren't wells based in Swindon ?

Thanks Fruitfulsteve,........any help is most appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users