• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 hornet

hornet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

I have been requested to arrange a firework display for my kids local primary school (boy was i pleased to be asked Posted Image spending someones elses money instead of mine)

I have been given a budget initially of £500 but dependant on ticket sales that might go up to £600. The audience is expected to be around the 300 mark made up of a mixture of under 11's and their parents. I will be buying stakes, cling film etc which will not be coming out of the firework budget so i get to spend the full £500. Everything to do with the event itself is being taken care of by the school i.e notifying police/fire services and insurance. I am tasked with the selection/purchasing of the fireworks and the setting up and firing on the night.

I have been doing lots of research visiting various firework websites and forums and my excitement is building, as is my confussion.

I attended the Firework Crazy display evening last weekend - which gave me an indication of the pleasure fireworks can give kids (and grown ups too). The kids around us loved it. And it was great to hear the oohs and aahs they gave as the fireworks exploded. I was surprised that the kids loved the cat 2 as much as they loved the bigger cat 3 stuff.

Right now on to my questions and hopefully where you lovely people can help me.

Is it possible to have an impressive display for 20 minutes within my budget limitations?

Would it be a good idea to split my display and have some cat 2 fireworks for the first 5/10 minutes or so specifically for the little 'uns attending and then build up to the bigger more impressive stuff?

Do I buy one of the readily available 'display' packs available from numerous firework websites? These display packs seem to offer better value than buying singularly and most come with set up plans and firing orders. Most offer free P&P and will deliver closer to the event so storage doesn't become an issue. Epic have one called Big Ben which suits my budget (but does it suits my requirements?).

Or would I be better taking the more long winded and time consuming (although much more fun) method of visiting a retailer but getting the advantage of picking exactly what I want?

Ideally I would love a visit to Epic but I am not sure I can justify a 6 hour round trip and approx £70 on petrol/food etc. there are nearer retailers but not with the selection and prices that Epic offer.

Decisions decisions - what do I do ? Thank you in advance for any replies.

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:47 PM

£500 over 20 minutes would give you a very nice display. How much space do you have? To be honest, if you can use Cat 3 then that is probably better than "warming up" with a bit of cat 2.

At an average of £20 a minute, though, you are probably looking at a relaxed, rather than manic pace throughout.

Are you happy with gaps in the firing, or are you looking for one continuous show?
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 hornet

hornet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

£500 over 20 minutes would give you a very nice display. How much space do you have? To be honest, if you can use Cat 3 then that is probably better than "warming up" with a bit of cat 2.

At an average of £20 a minute, though, you are probably looking at a relaxed, rather than manic pace throughout.

Are you happy with gaps in the firing, or are you looking for one continuous show?

Thanks for the reply David.

We have loads of space. The crowd will be kept on the tarmac playground and we (2 of us) will be firing the fireworks approx 30m away and another 20m away for rockets. This giving us another 50m behind us for any fallout. We will have designated marshalling and the area will be cordoned off.

My thinking behind using some cat2 stuff first was really 2 fold. Firstly because its a primary school display it's a way to get the younger ones used to the fireworks so the big stuff doesn't frighten them. And secondly (maybe misguided) it will be cheaper than cat3 stuff so I can save the bulk of the money for the bigger stuff. I am quite happy to have 10 minutes of the quiet pretty stuff followed by 10 minutes of the big loud stuff I like.

The original idea given to me was to have a very leisurely hour long display literally firing one firework and then once spent swopping it for another one stored in a wheelie bin for safe keeping. However I have managed to persuade the school that by doing this everyone will be either freezing or bored stupid by the end. So we met somewhere in the middle and decided for a 20 minute display.

What I am aiming for is certainly not a manic display. I know my budget will not allow one to last as long as the school wants it to - although I could have a brilliant 5 minutes for £500 I don't think the school would be too happy Posted Image .

Do you think the 'display' packs offered on numerous sites (such as the Epic one I mentioned) give good value for money and just as importantly will give a display matching my requirements?

#4 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the reply David.

We have loads of space. The crowd will be kept on the tarmac playground and we (2 of us) will be firing the fireworks approx 30m away and another 20m away for rockets. This giving us another 50m behind us for any fallout. We will have designated marshalling and the area will be cordoned off.

My thinking behind using some cat2 stuff first was really 2 fold. Firstly because its a primary school display it's a way to get the younger ones used to the fireworks so the big stuff doesn't frighten them. And secondly (maybe misguided) it will be cheaper than cat3 stuff so I can save the bulk of the money for the bigger stuff. I am quite happy to have 10 minutes of the quiet pretty stuff followed by 10 minutes of the big loud stuff I like.

The original idea given to me was to have a very leisurely hour long display literally firing one firework and then once spent swopping it for another one stored in a wheelie bin for safe keeping. However I have managed to persuade the school that by doing this everyone will be either freezing or bored stupid by the end. So we met somewhere in the middle and decided for a 20 minute display.

What I am aiming for is certainly not a manic display. I know my budget will not allow one to last as long as the school wants it to - although I could have a brilliant 5 minutes for £500 I don't think the school would be too happy Posted Image .

Do you think the 'display' packs offered on numerous sites (such as the Epic one I mentioned) give good value for money and just as importantly will give a display matching my requirements?

Hornet,

I think a mostly Cat 2 display with a bit of cat 3 will be fine,........I would try and work with the teachers to get the kids involved in some way,... perhaps getting the kids to build a guy to burn on a bonfire/oil drum mounted on a bit of 2 be 2 wood with sparklers lit in each hand with a red flare placed inside the drum (for effect) before the actual burn.
Set pieces and lancework - water fall would look good and will not frighten them!.

I personally think 20 mins is too long to hold there attention span if its solely a display only........10 mins is fine!

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 02 October 2009 - 02:01 AM.

#5 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:43 AM

Cat 2 is good for what it is- fireworks that are safe to be used 5m or 8m away, but by their nature they aren't display fireworks.
At the safety distance you mention, 30m, Cat 2 runs the risk of being too far away- and most cat 2 cakes are short in duration. And you ARE better keeping that safety distance throughout your show.
There are some nice cheap and pretty Cat 3 cakes around, which don't make too much noise. You could aim to start with them.

As for the bigger packs some may well be good value. However, it does tend to limit your choice slightly- often big pack include things in pairs, for example, so you might be getting 6 pairs for what is marginally less than the cost of 12 individual items. some display packs may also contain items that are nice, but there are better items in the shops range for the same price.

Over 20 minutes, you would have to stretch thing out a bit you could aim to plan at £20 a minute for the first 15, then have a £200 5 minutes finale.

The pack you mention, Epic's Big Ben, could work for you, perhaps lighting on average one cake a minute, with a rocket in between each, picking up the pace with cakes and rockets for the finale.

There are a lot of quality fireworks there- that certainly would give a nice display.

The other thing, could you suppliment the cost of the show with a bit of your own cash?

To add- if you are buying multipack deals, I'd suggest getting in touch before hand to check stuff is still in stock. Items that sell out will, of course, be replaced in the pack- but it never hurtsto ask in advance, as if something is sold out the shop might allow you to pick a replacement, which gives you a bit more choice, and allows you to choose the most suitable replacement to suit your display. Eg, if Wild Horses was sold out, then Screaming Spiders would be a much more suitable replacement than "The Beast" for your display.

Edited by David, 02 October 2009 - 03:37 AM.

#6 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:20 AM

There are lots of cakes lasting 20 - 40 seconds on the FireworksCrazy www that will add up to a nice display. You should easily be able to get a good display for 20 minutes AND come in under budget. Start with smaller cat 2 stuff, add some specials -fans wheels rockets etc then add some cat3 stuff like bigger cakes and rockets. The cheaper cakes can be fired in pairs or in rows of three spaced out to make things look bigger. The final minute or 90 seconds can be 10 - 30% of budget so that the show finishes on an exiting high.

The Howling Wolves cake attracted a LOT of interest at FC's demo night, fun noisy!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#7 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hi Hornet

Glad you enjoyed the evening, why not drop me a call or an email and I can put a pack together for you with the items you liked from Saturday, Don't worry you will be getting far more than your £500 worth!
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#8 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

Hi Hornet

Glad you enjoyed the evening, why not drop me a call or an email and I can put a pack together for you with the items you liked from Saturday, Don't worry you will be getting far more than your £500 worth!

I would take advantage of some of those Astra bogofs if I were you Hornet. If you buy wisely you can pick up some decent deals.

#9 hornet

hornet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

Wow thanks for all the replies.

crystal palace fireworks - I have been specifically forbidden to have any form of Bonfire or to allow the kids anywhere near sparklers. Something to do with the insurance the school holds I am told. The school definately want 20 minutes worth. They intend to make some money out of it and don't want it all over in a flash.

David - I think I will go and visit a retailer and build myself a display. Its more fun that way. Both before the event with all the planning and fingers crossed during the event. If it wasnt for the school asking me we wouldn't be having any fireworks in our household this year so supplementing the show with my own cash is no go.

Arthur Brown - "come in under budget" - i dont think so !! They have given me a budget and I intend to spend every penny of it Posted Image . There was loads of fireworks at FC display that interested me and I know would look good. My particular favourite was Cheeky Cherries and such a bargain too.

Firework Crazy - I will drop you an email. And thanks for your offer.

Thank you all once again. If anyone wants to add other answer please do so. The more help I can get the better.

#10 hornet

hornet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

I would take advantage of some of those Astra bogofs if I were you Hornet. If you buy wisely you can pick up some decent deals.

Thanks Chimp.
Already have a couple of them on my provisional list Posted Image .

Liked Golden Star, Jitter Bugs in particular. The wife liked Star Lazer.

Edited by hornet, 02 October 2009 - 12:41 PM.

#11 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

Don't discount Cat2, that would b a big mistake in my opinion - there are some great items out there that work really well (Glittering Gemstone fountains raised up on poles for instance)

We regularly use Cat2 items on our school displays and they go down really well, party because you can get that little bit closer to the audience with them, different items require different safety distances (as I am sure you are aware) - I would make use of those differences and make use of the great Cat2 thats out there (Kimbolton 16 shot cakes are definitely worth a look)

#12 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Under budget meaning £499 rather than £520! is better because you don't have to fund the difference yourself! And really there are enough options to enable you to get the cost right.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:27 PM

David - I think I will go and visit a retailer and build myself a display. Its more fun that way. Both before the event with all the planning and fingers crossed during the event. If it wasnt for the school asking me we wouldn't be having any fireworks in our household this year so supplementing the show with my own cash is no go.

Yeah- "pick and mixing" is always great fun! It also gives you a bit more flexibility.

My suggestion, too, would be to stick to all year round fireworks shops they can probably offer you a bona fide better deal, and in the rare case thata firework doesn't function, they will still be around to replace it.

#14 hornet

hornet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

Yeah- "pick and mixing" is always great fun! It also gives you a bit more flexibility.

My suggestion, too, would be to stick to all year round fireworks shops they can probably offer you a bona fide better deal, and in the rare case thata firework doesn't function, they will still be around to replace it.

David

I love the pick and mix aspect - except I keep seeing something new I haven't considered and it mucks up my budget Posted Image

I will definately be purchasing from a year round establishment don't worry about that.

I have learnt my lessons in years passed and know the year round sellers offer the best value and just as important the best advice and service.

#15 hornet

hornet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

Don't discount Cat2, that would b a big mistake in my opinion - there are some great items out there that work really well (Glittering Gemstone fountains raised up on poles for instance)

We regularly use Cat2 items on our school displays and they go down really well, party because you can get that little bit closer to the audience with them, different items require different safety distances (as I am sure you are aware) - I would make use of those differences and make use of the great Cat2 thats out there (Kimbolton 16 shot cakes are definitely worth a look)

Thanks Starsky.

I think I have settled on the 2 tier approach. Starting with some good Cat2 which like you say might be better closer to the crowd and then move back up the field to the Cat3 for the end. Can you recommend any other cat2 for me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users