Interesting article

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

Take a look at this and don't forget to read the readers comments, quite interesting;

http://tinyurl.com/yhs5ej4

May the force be with Karl.
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#2 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:43 AM

interesting read, i cant see if no charges where brought against him, why was all his chemicals ect confiscated??

where does the average person stand if the local plod come knocking on your door.

this sadly seems to be coming up more and more often. but why are the authorities giving the full force of the law, if they don't understand it themselves.

i really hope the UKPS can get the 100g rule cleared up. so at least we can have something on paper to prove to the authorities.

it just goes to show if your going to do this hobby, don't p*ss of your neighbours as they can cause a lot of inconvenience

Edited by PyroPDC, 24 October 2009 - 12:53 AM.

#3 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

According to the readers comments no charges, but it's unclear about weather they have given him his chemicals back yet.
Perhaps someone(who's involved in talks with the HSE) from the UKPS could write a comment it would certainly show were on the ball,and let the readers of a Oxford local paper know that we exist :rolleyes:

Edited by fruitfulsteve, 24 October 2009 - 10:07 AM.

Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#4 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:02 PM

I've added my few penny's worth to the thread, mentioning UKPS (although I managed to call us 'association' instead of 'society - Posted Image ).

Will be interested to see what else happens to the guy - new member?
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#5 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

Hmmm... Didcot is a bit 'close to home' for me.

It only takes one cantankerous neighbour to cause problems. I had a complaint tidying up and tripping over a recycle box one night - apparently this was a 'prowler on the loose'...

It's inconceivable to these people that we actually do things with our evenings, rather than vegetating in front of the 'idiot box' as all good consumers should.

Good luck to Karl.

Edited by BrightStar, 24 October 2009 - 03:09 PM.

#6 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

My favourite comment on the article:

I've received an anonymous tip off that a network of cells of fireworks experts across England are planning to launch a co-ordinated series of displays in the near future.
I can't say too much at this stage, but keep away from large fields containing bonfires and avoid suspicious characters selling hot soup and jacket potatoes around the 5th of November.

:lol:

#7 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

Here is a quote from Wikepedia ;

"Technically, it is not illegal for a firework to be set off at less than the minimum safely viewable distance; however, in the event of any injury to a spectator, the firer who did so would be personally liable for the unsafe use of explosives. (If an injury occurred to a spectator when a firework was set off at the proper safety distance, the firework manufacturer would be liable. "

Rather than purchase the whole BS7114 document I was wondering if someone can confirm if this statement accurately ties in with BS7114 and if the same could be considered of the required 20m or is it 50m fallout radius ?

On the matter of fallout radius I thought we only really had to be carefull with larger rockets ? Cakes / Barrages etc dont normally create a debris issue - not the one's I've fired anyway.

#8 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

Here is a quote from Wikepedia ;

"Technically, it is not illegal for a firework to be set off at less than the minimum safely viewable distance; however, in the event of any injury to a spectator, the firer who did so would be personally liable for the unsafe use of explosives. (If an injury occurred to a spectator when a firework was set off at the proper safety distance, the firework manufacturer would be liable. "

Rather than purchase the whole BS7114 document I was wondering if someone can confirm if this statement accurately ties in with BS7114 and if the same could be considered of the required 20m or is it 50m fallout radius ?

On the matter of fallout radius I thought we only really had to be carefull with larger rockets ? Cakes / Barrages etc dont normally create a debris issue - not the one's I've fired anyway.

I have only got access to BS7114 part 1, calssification of fireworks, the only reference I can find to distances are contained within the following quote:

B.1 Category 1

When used according to the instructions, these fireworks should not cause injury to people standing 1 m or more away and should not cause damage to property. In the case of hand-held fireworks, the person holding them should not be injured.

B.2 Category 2

When used according to the instructions, these fireworks should not cause injury to people standing 5 m or more away. In the case of hand-held sparklers, the person holding them should not be injured by the dropping of hot slag or the ejection of sparks. The fuse fitted to the fireworks should enable the person lighting the firework to retire safely to a distance of at least 5 m.

B.3 Category 3

When used according to the instructions, these fireworks should not cause injury to people standing 25 m or more away. People firing these fireworks would be expected to wear suitable personal protection.

Appendix C Information and guidance on the classification and marking of category 4 fireworks

C.1 Classification

The fireworks are divided into types as described in Table 4.

C.2 Marking

It is recommended that the fireworks are marked with the warning THIS DEVICE MUST NOT BE SOLD TO, OR USED BY A MEMBER OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC.” A reference to any Part of BS 7114 should not be marked on or in relation to a category 4 firework.

Also, as with all BS's it also states that it is essentially not a legal document:

Compliance with a British Standard does not of itself confer immunity from legal obligations. In particular, attention is drawn to the Explosives Act 1875 and Order in Council 15, the Explosives Act 1923, the Fireworks Act 1951, the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and the Consumer Protection Act 1987.

I dont know if this helps, if you want any more info from section 1 of BS7114 let me know.

cheers

James

#9 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the information James.

#10 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:20 PM

this is a constant worry. i have had comments from neighbours saying "this cant possibly be legal", i don't think you should be allow to do this" , "i think i should ask the police to see what you are allowed to do, just incase your doing something you shouldn't".

these comments where made after testing a smoke screen.

these neighbours haven't even made the effort to know me by name.
just busy bodies that have nothing better to do.

the neighbours who have bothered to know me don't have a problem, know my back ground and look forward to fireworks night.

#11 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:23 PM

I personally dont think if you are making anything that you should be testing it near their homes anyway.

#12 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:23 PM

one last comment, how does it fall legally if a amateur was to make there own firework and this fell in x category and the appropriate distances were taken. is this then legal for this amateur to let them off, int he same way as a factory manufactured product.

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:32 PM

I personally dont think if you are making anything that you should be testing it near their homes anyway.

Thats good advice.

However, with regards to consumer fireworks, if you have 1.3G included in a stash over 5KG NEC you actually can only store it at the location on which you are using it.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#14 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

one last comment, how does it fall legally if a amateur was to make there own firework and this fell in x category and the appropriate distances were taken. is this then legal for this amateur to let them off, int he same way as a factory manufactured product.

I think if the product is home made, then its Cat 4 by default. Unless its been tested and passed to BS or the new Euro regualtions, then it's not Cat 2 or 3.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#15 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

Unfortunately as the law stands, it's very simple, if you make a firework outside a registered factory it's a criminal offence, does not matter what it is, what size it is or anything else.

We are working as a society to change this, but as it stands, it's that simple...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users