• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

There were some recent posts regarding a shop called XS Stock selling Bright Star stuff. I tracked it down and they sent me a brochure and it appears that amongst some other old favourites they have the Proton Bomb 16 Shot Twin Burst Barrage and the 56 Shot Flashing Thunder. Could it be I have stumbled upon some old spec items ?
I am aware of some naughty companies keeping the old spec wrappers / performance descriptions on new spec gear so I am assuming the worst. We really need to get this stamped out Posted Image

However could someone perhaps tell me if they have used a "new spec" Proton Bomb or Flashing Thunder and if so what was its performance is like ?

This shop is about 60 miles away but I would be happy to make the journey if I thought they were stocking some old spec big boys and perhaps unaware they are doing so - hmmm......

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

To be honest, unless you actually see the stock itself, its impossible to say. There is a "Proton Bomb" in the 2009 catalogue, but equally there may be stocks of the old Proton bomb around.

If its date stamped "6" on the back panel, then thats going to be old spec... otherwise, I guess the only way is to buy one and try one.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:15 PM

There were some recent posts regarding a shop called XS Stock selling Bright Star stuff. I tracked it down and they sent me a brochure and it appears that amongst some other old favourites they have the Proton Bomb 16 Shot Twin Burst Barrage and the 56 Shot Flashing Thunder. Could it be I have stumbled upon some old spec items ?
I am aware of some naughty companies keeping the old spec wrappers / performance descriptions on new spec gear so I am assuming the worst. We really need to get this stamped out Posted Image

However could someone perhaps tell me if they have used a "new spec" Proton Bomb or Flashing Thunder and if so what was its performance is like ?

This shop is about 60 miles away but I would be happy to make the journey if I thought they were stocking some old spec big boys and perhaps unaware they are doing so - hmmm......

ive used a new spec proton bomb - it was fairly loud - not as loud as the single shot ones.
as for flashing thunder....i was going to buy 2 of them today, new spec....but am holding off.

any chance you could send me a link to the brochure....might pop through myself !

#4 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:16 PM

ive used a new spec proton bomb - it was fairly loud - not as loud as the single shot ones.

whats the effect- presumably it does more than just bang?

Or perhaps it's a new-spec airbomb effect?

#5 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:18 PM

i think this is the new version

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=edC-9PdnpPI

and the old 16 shot

Edited by wjames, 28 October 2009 - 11:22 PM.

#6 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:18 PM

To be honest, unless you actually see the stock itself, its impossible to say. There is a "Proton Bomb" in the 2009 catalogue, but equally there may be stocks of the old Proton bomb around.

If its date stamped "6" on the back panel, then thats going to be old spec... otherwise, I guess the only way is to buy one and try one.

I asked the chap about the year on the label and explained about the reg changes but so far no respone. Its a bit of a drive for a crackle and pop !
Nobody else out there fired a new spec Proton Bomb (if it exists) ?

#7 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:23 PM

as for flashing thunder....i was going to buy 2 of them today, new spec....but am holding off.

any chance you could send me a link to the brochure....might pop through myself !

Oops missed the boat a bit with my last post.
Thanks for the comments chaps.

WJames - I'll try and PM it to you.

#8 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:25 PM

i think this is the new version

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=edC-9PdnpPI

That effect looks to me very very much like an old reg flashpowder burst effect.

#9 dark-sky76

dark-sky76

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:50 PM

there is a new range of "Proton Bomb" 16shot ive seen it myself instore they have just changed the wrapping on it..

#10 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

there is a new range of "Proton Bomb" 16shot ive seen it myself instore they have just changed the wrapping on it..

So whats it like performance wise ?

#11 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:56 PM

Whats changed? Is it new colours etc?

#12 dark-sky76

dark-sky76

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:00 AM

Whats changed? Is it new colours etc?

Still same but with 3 star burst at the end... very loud!

#13 ad_the_man

ad_the_man

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

Still same but with 3 star burst at the end... very loud!

Picked up a Nightstar 16 shot proton bomb (rebadged Bright Star) and will give it a go. Very unlikely to be like the days of the old 2 shots proton bombs that crack prison walls, but should still be good for £7.

#14 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

If you go ask them to show you a live cake if they will or to bring one or two out before you buy it, check the back and there should be a little number in the bottom corner, if it's 6 thats old spec I think.

#15 chris_hefty

chris_hefty

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

I asked the chap about the year on the label and explained about the reg changes but so far no respone. Its a bit of a drive for a crackle and pop !
Nobody else out there fired a new spec Proton Bomb (if it exists) ?

Sorry man that me you must be talking about, i looked on the back of the proton bomb and its had a black number 8 but if you can give me a pic on where exactly to look. i will have another look when i get back from college. This prob wont help but on the cover of the firework it says double burst or something along those lines.. sorry if this is no help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users