19 replies to this topic

#1 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

are friends across the pond call them stinger missiles, we know then as spin stabilized rockets, does anybody own the tooling to make them? im interested in the spindle height, width for 1 lb and 3 lb motors

#2 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

are friends across the pond call them stinger missiles, we know then as spin stabilized rockets, does anybody own the tooling to make them? im interested in the spindle height, width for 1 lb and 3 lb motors

That ever useful tool rocket sketcher! - http://www.flashnet.dk/rts/ . Just change rocket type to stinger & adjust tube ID (1lb = 3/4")
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

I made a set up a while ago. Pretty successful, though a bit unpredictable!. Think I made them to specs on Dan William's website. I'll look them out and have a measure.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#4 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

I got the 1lb Chris, I could measure it tomorrow if you like?? I think the spindle is about 1 1/4" high and 6mm at its widest part (just from memory)

Maxman

#5 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

I have a set for 3/4" stingers, 3" long. What does 1lb motor stand for? That it is capable of lifting 1lb?

The spindle height for 3/4" is exactly 30 mm. The bottom width is 5 mm and the top width is 3 mm.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#6 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

lovely !, many thanx guys ^_^ very helpful indeed
maxman , yes please,throw a tape measure over your tooling, ta
im going to be cheeky now and ask for a picture or two of your tooling chaps,is there a simple jig for the hole in the side of the casing?

#7 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:34 AM

I actually don't have a jig but simply fix the tube in a vice and drill on free-hand. Works most of the times.

Though I have yet failed to successfully give the rockets a payload. For some reason they explode.

But I'm still a newbie at rockets.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#8 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:36 AM

There is a picture on Wolter pyro - at least I think this is what you mean.
Here

#9 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:58 AM

lovely !, many thanx guys Posted Image very helpful indeed
maxman , yes please,throw a tape measure over your tooling, ta
im going to be cheeky now and ask for a picture or two of your tooling chaps,is there a simple jig for the hole in the side of the casing?

I think you will find this helpful - http://pyrotechnics....kets%20book.pdf (Spin Stabilized Rockets - a definitive study)
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#10 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

Will measure my tooling tonight & put up a picture, but for the time being, here is a link to Dan Williams' instructions:

Stingers
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#11 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

Ok I measured my spindle and the spindle length is 35mm with the lower part being 6.25mm and the top is 4mm. This is for a 1lb rocket. My big mistake when I first made these was to use too much clay for the nozzle thinking it should be the same ID as the tube 19mm but it only flew the height of a small tree :blush: Use about a teaspoon of clay so when rammed it makes about 6mm depth, then use the fastest meal you can get your hands on. If you use TI in it go easy as 1-2% is more than enough as otherwise it slows it down to much. The next thing to know is that when you launch them (I use a 4" nail that is 4mm in diameter) make sure the nail isn't to thin or the spin wobble also slows it down and makes flight eratic.

These things fly vertical on the same principle as a bullet. Mine are to fast for me to film

As for 3lb ones I can't help but do know you're more likely to get a cato so slow the fuel down a bit

Maxman

#12 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

IMG_6646.JPG

This is the spindle I made.

The base is 18mm, spindle height 30mm tapering from 4.5mm to 4mm after the flared part.
Posted Imagethegreenman

#13 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

I have a set for 3/4" stingers, 3" long. What does 1lb motor stand for? That it is capable of lifting 1lb?

The naming of rockets by seemingly unrelated imperial weights has it's roots in the weight of lead balls of the diameter of the tube, and is best to forget about.

Just remember that 1 lb rockets = 3/4" ID tube, or 19mm, and that 3lb is 1" or 25mm ID tubes, in popular pyro jargon.

To make matters worse, you may come across people from other places that use the word '3lb' ect to mean some other size of rocket, though fortunately this is rare.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#14 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

OK. Once I get my rockets work with a payload, it'd be nice making bigger ones. :)
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#15 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

again a big thank you for everybody's answers, pictures and "walking down to shed to measure"
I'll be able to turn some tooling now, :), phil I'm afraid i can only give you 2 out of ten for surface finish on yer spindle :)

Edited by chris m, 07 May 2010 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users