9 replies to this topic

#1 FaithlessRock

FaithlessRock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hi all,

I'm just about to start up a Display Company, but am struggling to find the answer to one question in amongst all of the regs, etc.

Hopefully some of you have some advice to share on this....

How to dispose of spent material.

What are the "acceptable" and "legal" ways to dispose of spent material after a display?
When we return from a venue with a van load of spent stuff, what do I need to do with it - segregate it, destroy it immediately, soak it, burn it, etc etc.
Can I store it a while and then dispose of a job lot?
Do I have to deal with it myself or are there facilities or companies available especially for this?

Many thanks in advance,
Mark

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

Can we assume safely that you are in the UK? Legal obviously depends on the place where you live and work.

First you must check the live components are all gone.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:13 PM

By spent material are you referring to the remnants such as cardboard tubes, or to misfires which still contain live material?

Disposing of the inert waste is no problem, as it is treated as any other waste. It can be stored as long as you like. If you intend to burn the waste, ensure that when it is lit, there is no one within a hundred metres or so. This is in case a cake tube has failed to fire and you have not noticed. The risk from live material can also be reduced by stacking cakes, candles and other items that project stars or bombettes over a large distance in such a way that they will fire either upwards or downwards, and not sideways towards property or people. You must check each cake tube has fired, but have to be aware that any item you burn could contain live material that has escaped your scrutiny.

Burning waste should not be done at the display site, it should be done in a remote location as far from people or property as possible. Also be aware that some items will not completely burn - for example clay plugs in cakes and ematch wires.

I'm not sure on the legalities of all this, but this is the way many display companies I have seen do things.

Live material is a different matter, and I can't really answer that one.

Hope this is useful,
Paul
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#4 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

By spent material are you referring to the remnants such as cardboard tubes, or to misfires which still contain live material?

Disposing of the inert waste is no problem, as it is treated as any other waste. It can be stored as long as you like. If you intend to burn the waste, ensure that when it is lit, there is no one within a hundred metres or so. This is in case a cake tube has failed to fire and you have not noticed. The risk from live material can also be reduced by stacking cakes, candles and other items that project stars or bombettes over a large distance in such a way that they will fire either upwards or downwards, and not sideways towards property or people. You must check each cake tube has fired, but have to be aware that any item you burn could contain live material that has escaped your scrutiny.

Burning waste should not be done at the display site, it should be done in a remote location as far from people or property as possible. Also be aware that some items will not completely burn - for example clay plugs in cakes and ematch wires.

I'm not sure on the legalities of all this, but this is the way many display companies I have seen do things.

Live material is a different matter, and I can't really answer that one.

Hope this is useful,
Paul

mmmm Not legal.

You are sadly no longer allowed to just burn commercial waste (well you are, but it needs licencing under WID (waste incineration directive, not easy and very expensive to implement)).

Technically you would need to speak to a waste handling company who have a valid waste transfer licence for the type of material that you are proposing.

However I guess most will still bend the rules and just burn it off. However I guess this will become more difficult as time goes by.
Phew that was close.

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

As you can't reduce or reuse, then recycling is an option. Assuming that you have some space to separate things, any wires can be reused or recycled for copper, and most of the cake tubes can be checked clear of live material and then recycled as paper. If you get things that burn badly those become commercial waste when clear of lives.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#6 Rick

Rick

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:17 AM

http://www.hse.gov.u...on/disposal.htm

If I were you I would find a suitable burn site, produce a risk assessment, document a procedure and just get on with it.

If you draw too much attention things become very costly.

Rick

#7 FaithlessRock

FaithlessRock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Thanks all for your replies. In answer to some of the questions yes I am in the UK. I am also interested in both the disposal of spent material and also misfires. I am not licensed or insured to be deconstructing or remanufacturing firework components - just for using trade supplies in displays so I don't think recycling would be an answer. It seems many companies seem to burn off their waste in a remote location, and I think this is the safest and most cost-effective solution.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how and when to do this? Ie, I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to store the duds etc at my storage site since they would no longer be classified as 1.3/1.4G. However, I cannot instantly make it disappear the second I get back from a display....

In addition to this, what are the thoughts around transporting the misfires to a burning site. Because the material is no longer intact it is no longer "classified" and so cannot be transported!

So many questions, I'm guessing it's a grey area! Thanks once again.

Edited by FaithlessRock, 10 May 2010 - 08:11 PM.

#8 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

There's a small bit on the EIG website which mentions disposing of damaged (leaking powder etc) fireworks at retail premises.

The advice is to drown it and return to supplier, I know this is not the same as a dud, but they do mention this

......"seal these in a plastic bag and return to the supplier for disposal, any concerns over the legality of transportation of the remains could be dealt with by an HSE Authorisation."

Whatever a HSE authorisation is? perhaps it would also cover transport of duds.

Link

#9 Rick

Rick

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

Unfortunately the law does not have scope for transportation or storage of mis-fired material without dispensation from the HSE; which is obviously impracticable.

It is wise to segregate returns, monitor quantity and dispose of, as to guidance, when your pre-determined 'reasonable' quantity is reached.

If you take this up with the authorities you will end up digging a very large and expensive hole for yourself.

Just do everything a reasonable and prudent man would do and you will not go far wrong.

Good luck!

Rick

Just to murk the waters further http://www.cfoa.org.uk/download/15305

#10 FaithlessRock

FaithlessRock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Great, thanks all for your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users