7 replies to this topic

#1 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

Has anybody been watching channel 4s ` Blitz Street` series?,.....looks like the testing was carried by event horizons!

#2 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

Has anybody been watching channel 4s ` Blitz Street` series?,.....looks like the testing was carried by event horizons!

really enjoyed it, though i did wonder since aparart from the 1st b*mb the others used unconfined powder, would this make much diffence ?, i would have thought if they were in a thick metal casing would have made a difference?

#3 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

really enjoyed it, though i did wonder since aparart from the 1st b*mb the others used unconfined powder, would this make much diffence ?, i would have thought if they were in a thick metal casing would have made a difference?

Yeah I found it really enjoyable too,.....my guess is I think they deliberately did not encase the compositions in metal shell casings for reasons of long distant fragmentation = danger, and yes I guess the dynamics of the force would have been slightly different in a confined structure, but the effects were still there to see in terms of what could be achieved by volume.

I missed the first episode.

#4 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

I missed the first episode.

all 4 episodes are still on 4od to watch
http://www.channel4....-guide/series-1

i found it interesting on the 1st one because they said you could be under a staircase 3Meters away from a 50Kg bomb and yet you will still survive :blink:

Edited by PyroPDC, 11 May 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#5 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

hmmm,the tests weren't that accurate in my eyes as a carpenter!
they set out to recreate 1940's era housing stock, doors, windows even down to the interior deco, but then put a modern style computer designed "trussed roof" heavily wind braced on top of it!
in stead of a "traditional roof" , ie timber rafters sat on timber purlins.
so when the structure was subjected to the blasts it acted in a different manner, basically the roof structure was still mostly complete and together like a large spine laid out in the rubble, if it had been a traditional roof thered be bits of wood everywhere like matchsticks! so not an accurate test in my eyes.
also! the house's party walls were constructed of concrete block to save time/cost? instead of 9" brick walls usually found in houses of this type/era, so there

#6 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

all 4 episodes are still on 4od to watch
http://www.channel4....-guide/series-1

i found it interesting on the 1st one because they said you could be under a staircase 3Meters away from a 50Kg bomb and yet you will still survive :blink:

Thanks PyroPDC,

I can`t seem to get the program running (timed out), will try later.

Yes many people headed for the staircase if they had not got round to building an anderson shelter in the garden, even so, many still prefered the stair case option because I guess of the shape and tying-in of the structure which made it relatively strong.

#7 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

hmmm,the tests weren't that accurate in my eyes as a carpenter!
they set out to recreate 1940's era housing stock, doors, windows even down to the interior deco, but then put a modern style computer designed "trussed roof" heavily wind braced on top of it!
in stead of a "traditional roof" , ie timber rafters sat on timber purlins.
so when the structure was subjected to the blasts it acted in a different manner, basically the roof structure was still mostly complete and together like a large spine laid out in the rubble, if it had been a traditional roof thered be bits of wood everywhere like matchsticks! so not an accurate test in my eyes.
also! the house's party walls were constructed of concrete block to save time/cost? instead of 9" brick walls usually found in houses of this type/era, so there

Can`t comment on the structure or period of the house in detail (not seen first episode yet), and yet going by the other episodes I ve watched, the houses seem to represent the late victorian or edwardian period,..... but was this type of housing design relevent to housing built up north in the 1940`s stock?

#8 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

They did said after the 1st device was fired, that they couldn't use casing due to risk to other buildings on the site. Loved the slow motion shots of the pressure waves. As for the final big blast , I don't think many landed in fields, they dropped right into the middle of a street and all the rubble came down to do the damage. Still very intersting though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users