13 replies to this topic

#1 FaithlessRock

FaithlessRock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Hi again!

Can anyone shed any light on the issue of van insurance for carrying fireworks?

To carry <50kg NEQ can be done by pretty much anyone since it does not fall in the realsm of ADR, etc. However, every van insurance policy I look at specifies that the policy will be void if there are any "hazardous goods" carried.

Can anyone advise of how they go about obtaining van insurance for transporting fireworks to displays?

Many thanks once again

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Talk first to your fireworks insurer!
At Insurance Experts, Roy Musk does fireworks and his wife Angela does the motor insurance to carry fireworks. Other companies may be similarly competent.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 FaithlessRock

FaithlessRock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Talk first to your fireworks insurer!
At Insurance Experts, Roy Musk does fireworks and his wife Angela does the motor insurance to carry fireworks. Other companies may be similarly competent.

Thanks Arthur.

I've spoken to my insurer but the cost has come back as quite significant!

I've been reading around quite a lot and found that many people have had luck with other van insurance companies, with them being able to provide them with a policy which includes the occasional carriage of fireworks for their business activity.

Can anyone share any companies that are willing o do this... I'm starting to hit-head-against-brick-wall!

Many thanks

#4 NickC

NickC

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I was looking at this and couldn't get a £4000 van insured for anything of a reasonable price with many in the £2k mark. I could get it for about £800 at the cheapest if I was only carrying fieworks, but as soon as you declare you are visiting storage sites, which one has to assume you may well be the price goes up. I didn't continue to look.

#5 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

I was looking at this and couldn't get a £4000 van insured for anything of a reasonable price with many in the £2k mark. I could get it for about £800 at the cheapest if I was only carrying fieworks, but as soon as you declare you are visiting storage sites, which one has to assume you may well be the price goes up. I didn't continue to look.

Seems like as usual, people are taking advantage.

Insurance is surely based on the likelyhood of a claim being made, and how often has carrying fireworks actually caused a claim I wonder?
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#6 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

Seems like as usual, people are taking advantage.

Insurance is surely based on the likelyhood of a claim being made, and how often has carrying fireworks actually caused a claim I wonder?

I had this of sort problem when I trying to find reasonable insurance premiums when I was a black cab driver (without any convictions or accidents),.... as soon you run a business (carrying paying passengers) they want to charge on average 4 times the cost of normal car insurance, and yet we were quite highly trained in terms of knowlege and vehicle handling.

Try `Tradex` www.tradexinsurance.co.uk

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 24 May 2010 - 01:42 PM.

#7 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:27 AM

Our vans are insured with Direct Line and our policy specifically states that we are a firework company and that we transport fireworks for business, they spoke to the underwriters and they we're fine with it. Costs us about £450 a year.
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#8 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

Our vans are insured with Direct Line and our policy specifically states that we are a firework company and that we transport fireworks for business, they spoke to the underwriters and they we're fine with it. Costs us about £450 a year.

That seems a fair quote,......are you limited on classification (1.1 or 1.3 etc) and the amount of fireworks you can transport? and is that £450 per vehicle?

#9 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

Did anybody find out what class of fireworks this insurance company allows?

#10 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

Also if you wish to carry cat4 material to and from the display site in your van do you have to do a special driving course? done a search but not found anything relevant.

Cheers Jay

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Carrying fireworks in the course of trade or business starts to involve the Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act (CDG ) which is the UK enactment of the UN ADR regs.

You will only get to know the detail of the regs by doing an ADR driving course and/or paying for the professional services of a DGSA (dangerous goods safety advisor). The regs refer to the UN classification category 1.1 - 1.4 and use the letters - which determine which can travel together.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

Our van insurance with Direct Line was £397 last year, this year they want £497! 25% increase!
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#13 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

Our van insurance with Direct Line was £397 last year, this year they want £497! 25% increase!

Is this to carry cat 4?

#14 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Is this to carry cat 4?

Don't think it will make any difference: once you get that little orange diamond on ANYTHING it's hazardous and all are treated much alike by insurance companies. There are of course separate legal requirements about how much of different hazard categories you can carry in a vehicle of a certain type.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users