• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tom982

tom982

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

I am thinking about buying 1 kg of KNO3 from Aqua Essentials on amazon, they assure me that it is 100% purity and there are no fire retardant chemicals in it. If there is, is there any way to extract them from KNO3 powder.

And my main question: Is it legal to have pure KNO3 in the UK (england)??

#2 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

Yes. And I wouldn't worry about fire retardants.

There's a 'buying chemicals' thread which has plenty info on this kind of stuff you might want to read through.

#3 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

I am thinking about buying 1 kg of KNO3 from Aqua Essentials on amazon, they assure me that it is 100% purity and there are no fire retardant chemicals in it. If there is, is there any way to extract them from KNO3 powder.

By the way, there is no such thing as 100% purity. There are some very high quality grades at over 99.9%. There are no grades I know of with fire depressant in them. Yes it is legal to have, it is only a common fertiliser after all.
Phew that was close.

#4 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

It's cheaper here.

http://www.hobbychem...itrate-kno3.php
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#5 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

Motartube that is rip off pricing, I got my 25kg bag for 20 quid and even that is expensive.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#6 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:32 AM

Motartube that is rip off pricing, I got my 25kg bag for 20 quid and even that is expensive.

If you can buy it as a fertilizer it's pretty cheap. Unfortunately the companies selling fertilizers restrict it more and more. In Sweden you can't buy it as a fertilizer anymore if you don't own a farm or at least a plant house, although it's in legal terms not even is an age limit on it...
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#7 plastics

plastics

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

I know there is a certain reluctance to reveal ones sources but this bragging about how cheap one can obtain x y and z annoys me intensely. If you can get it that cheap tell us where from and those of us that can will do so keeping the price low. If you're not prepared to reveal your source (either to preserve their anonymity or some perverse paternalistic idea of keeping us safe from the uninducted masses) then keep quiet. If a supplier is concerned about the integrity of the person they're supplying to they can always say no.

Sorry about the rant but all this talk of my car can go faster than yours doesn't really help anyone

#8 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

No need to hide the supplier really, just type krista-K potassium nitrate in google and its like third link down, simple as that!
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#9 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

Typically suppliers will send out big loads at good prices but the odd kilo will come from a retailer at higher prices.

Until you have actually done it it doesn't seem difficult to weigh out 1000kilo pallets into 100g packages!!! Even getting the labels stuck on, takes time! If you don't huy a tonne then you don't get the good prices.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#10 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

No need to hide the supplier really, just type krista-K potassium nitrate in google and its like third link down, simple as that!

Kind of ironic. That's exactly the fertilizer that is now only sold to farmers and professional gardeners in Sweden. It's of very high quality.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#11 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

Typically suppliers will send out big loads at good prices but the odd kilo will come from a retailer at higher prices.

Until you have actually done it it doesn't seem difficult to weigh out 1000kilo pallets into 100g packages!!! Even getting the labels stuck on, takes time! If you don't huy a tonne then you don't get the good prices.

NitroParis in Spain have good prices, especially since they sell KNO3 already milled, which spares your ball mill a bit, but they only sell to persons with a VAT number.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#12 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

The big UK suppliers will usually only ship to business addresses and only in pallet loads, preferably several pallets at once (not many homes have fork lift trucks!!). This of course brings the load into ADR regulations (5.1) and hence can only travel within the compatibility requirements of the rest of the load. In the UK there are suppliers who will dispatch K nitrate under the small quantity exemptions, BUT not at truck load prices!

#13 PyroSkitz

PyroSkitz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

hey, i bought the same krista-K potassium nitrate online, ended up that it cost me £56, yes its £22.50 to buy online, which is perfect :), but it was another £26 to ship, then added vat, ended up being alot, although very fine stuff, smaller mesh than sugar :)
and ive heard its very pure such as 99.8-99.9% but dont know for sure, hope you can all get it easily enough and cheaply :)

#14 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Yes, it's very pure. I still have some kilos of it, and it makes very good BP. I mill it separately for 1 hour before I mill it for 3 hours together with the sulfur and coarse grained charcoal.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#15 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

Regarding purity! In the days when Black Powder was an essential military materiel, the purity or the nitrate was appalling probably 80 - 90% it has always been possible to recrystalise the raw product to a better purity but IMO the "commercial" purity of pot nitrate will have risen into the high 90%s after BP ceased to be militarily useful.

So almost any modern trade purity will be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users