• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 sharplight

sharplight

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

hi, i have just got into pyro and have been using a bit of bp and trying it out in different ways, also i have tried some white stars but have not turned out too well.
i just need some ideas of what i could do with these chemicals please:

iron oxide
kno3
magnesium carbonate
red gum
dextrin
copper oxide
antimony trisulphide
sulfur
willow charcoal

any ideas are much appreciated :)

#2 vaslop2005

vaslop2005

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

The problem with the chemicals you have is that, BP is the only pyro thing that I can see could be done, but that is no issue.

There is lots that can be done with just KNO3, charcoal, sulfur and dextrin, like making rockets, fountains and wheels (maybe with a few additional metal powders like titanium, or iron). Once you perfect these you will be ready and skilled enough to start using perchlorates and metals safely, and that is how you progress.

Have a look at what other people have done and learn from other professional websites (pyroguide and skylighter both have good info)

#3 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

Find some aluminum - someone here on UK Pyro will certainly be willing to sell you some. Then you have plenty of effects to work with.

#4 sharplight

sharplight

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

cheers for the fountain and rocket ideas, i'll try them soon :)
any ideas of chemicals i should get for some more basic pyro?

#5 vaslop2005

vaslop2005

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

some very beautiful effects can be created with obtaining sodium bicarbonate, and magnalium (look up Winokur #20)

my personal favourite is a small shell (2"), on the top of a black powder rocket, filled with either Winokur #20 or chrysanthemum 8 stars and about 5g of fast granular black powder. Even after seeing countless rockets of my own go up, I'm still incredibly happy when they do, also perfecting your design will take years, at the moment I'm getting 2kg of force from 8g of rocket propellant, and when they don't have a header you can just hear a huge whoosh and when you look its gone... No idea where...

you'll soon find your own style and techniques...

#6 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

I'm getting 2kg of force from 8g of rocket propellant

Capacity in Newton Seconds?

APCP?
Phew that was close.

#7 vaslop2005

vaslop2005

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

I wish it was APCP. I'm making a spindle for that soon though, but its actually 60:30:10 black powder, and sustained for under 0.2 seconds (if I remember rightly,) this is on a home-made spindle. I can send you the video of the scales if you want to see...

#8 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:17 PM

I wish it was APCP. I'm making a spindle for that soon though, but its actually 60:30:10 black powder, and sustained for under 0.2 seconds (if I remember rightly,) this is on a home-made spindle. I can send you the video of the scales if you want to see...

Just interested. Very short impulse. I believe your results. APCP has some interesting issues, such as getting the chamber pressure up (never done it myself, just read about what the rocket boys do to initiate the motors).
Phew that was close.

#9 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

Has anybody here had any experience of using Ammonium perchlorate composite propellant, how does it compare to Nitrous Oxide hybrids?
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#10 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

cheers for the fountain and rocket ideas, i'll try them soon :)
any ideas of chemicals i should get for some more basic pyro?

hi, id forget the extra chems for a while and invest in a few pyro books, so you fully understand the chemicals before you start to use them, ie any possible incompatibilities mixing, dry or wet ie "stars"
you need to approach this hobby in a professional manner after you have reserched the chems you have, and any future chems on your wish list, you'll be ready to try some basic formula (usally in the same book) ie THOMAS KENTISH, WEINGART ect
there's not much point collecting chems at random at asking "what do i do with them?" regards chris

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

The older books, while wonderful reading that ALL should have, contain some formulae that have been superceded dramatically on safety and performance grounds. Weingart especially has lots of mention of chlorate mixes -this was the industrial standard at the time- which introduce all sorts of hazards that we now appreciate more than before.

Lancaster's and Shimizu's books and their collaborative works are more up to date with materials and techniques.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:36 PM

agreed,the older books do contain a lot dangerous chlorate based formula, but the price of lancaster's book may be restrictive to the "newbie".
there a great resource of techniques that at least get you going in the right direction as opposed to " i got chems what now?".
the kentish book is a good read,have you seen it?

Edited by chris m, 03 July 2010 - 11:38 PM.

#13 sharplight

sharplight

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

any good lift powder formulas?

#14 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Stop whatever you are doing and read the whole of Lancaster's book and possibly Weingart as well. Weingart will give you some history (cheaper than A StH Brock's books) and some old comps. Lancaster's book will give you the most modern formulae published with in most cases the best safety advice.

You stand a chance of safely making something pretty IF you have read some books, otherwise you stand a chance of making a blood covered mess (your blood :( )
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#15 sharplight

sharplight

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

the books are all so expensive :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users