• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 vaslop2005

vaslop2005

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have been experimenting with small, coloured tailed rockets, and had reasonable success with wide nozzled and nozzle-less KClO4 fuelled rockets (if anyone's interested I can find out the formulas/dimensions). I am just curious as to whether anyone else has tried any experimentation in this field, as mine often CATO or burn without thrust.

I am looking to make some fuels that burn in a reasonably slow manner, so can be used in cored rockets. I suspect AP to be needed for this...

Please post your ideas and/or experience...

Thanks

#2 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

i did some experimentation on perc fueled rockets, mostly perc/willow charcoal, and the take off was slow to say the least!, the full blah is in the nozzle-less rocket thread,the rockets where very bright indeed, the vid is here perc bp rockets
and here

Edited by chris m, 04 August 2010 - 05:11 PM.

#3 vaslop2005

vaslop2005

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

I have tried nozzle-less, and when made well, they look AWESOME, its just that I haven't the machinery or the money to make my own tools here. (only able to use a metal lathe when I occasionally get access to one) so I am hoping to be able to make some coloured fuel that is able to be used in nozzled coreburners.

Thanks

#4 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

then, maybe try the magnalium fueled motors, they use standard bp tooling, alternatively why not attach a coloured comet on top,or fixed to the back of the stick as suggested by other forum members

#5 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

This was made on a standard core burner tool set: Green metal fueled rocket

It also had a normal clay nozzle. I thought from the lift sound that it had blown the nozzle out but on examining it afterwards it was still intact.

One thing you'll find is that they will not light from visco fuse at all! I had to use a small amount of BP+silicon to get the core lit, which contributes to the fast takeoff.

Personally I prefer the tiny 6mm ones, as they use hardly any fuel and are quite capable of lifting up to 15g or so to a decent height: 6mm green metal fueled rocket

The formula was as follows:
Barium nitrate 60% (substitute strontium nitrate if required - but it changes the characteristics slightly)
Magnalium 250# 20%
PVC 15%
Parlon 5%

These were pressed on a drill press.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#6 vaslop2005

vaslop2005

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

I have heard the magnalium rockets are good, but (like i said in the subtitle) I'm not to fond of them, as I also would like to make some blue... and have been looking at some formulas along the lines of my own AP coloured stars

blue
NH4ClO4 70
copper sorbate 10
hexamine 20

red
NH4ClO4 45
Sr(NO3)2 25
red gum 12
hexamine 18

green
NH4ClO4 35
Ba(NO3)2 35
red gum 14
hexamine 16
copper sorbate 10

but the blue one exploded, and the green burned without any colour (strangely) so maybe some more work needed...

I have thought of attaching a coloured comet, but i like this as a technical exercise.

on a side note, the colours are fantastic as stars, with a huge flame envelope and good colour...

Edited by vaslop2005, 04 August 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#7 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

Oh sorry didn't notice the subtitle!

You could try adding Parlon or PVC to the green rocket... perhaps the AP combustion products change inside the rocket at a higher pressure and produce less free chlorine to create barium chloride in the flame.

You could always try something like the folowing:

Strontium Nitrate 9 (47%)
Potassium Perchlorate 3 (16%)
Potassium Benzoate 3 (16%)
Parlon 4 (21%)

It burns with a large flame and decent colour, and is also very low cost. You may want to change the perchlorate to nitrate ratio to get more thrust, as I have only tested this pressed into open ended tubes with no core.

#8 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

there's a few colored rocket formula on the skylighter page click me

Edited by chris m, 07 August 2010 - 12:13 AM.

#9 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

This mix I posted a while back has a nice blue flame:

http://www.pyrosocie...h__1#entry62988
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#10 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

How about whistle mix using KClO4 and strontium/barium benzoate? Simple and I would have through good power and colour. Not sure how hydroscopic they are?

#11 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

I think that the oscillation speed of whistles with different metals varies, so certain benzoates will whistle but at a frequency greater than human ears can detect. I did see an article a while back about coloured whistles using Barium 3- nitrobenzoate but it didn't go into great detail, and my chemistry is not great so I have no idea if its possible to make this with standard pyro chemicals.

Of course if you don't care whether it whistles, I'm sure they would work fine.

#12 vaslop2005

vaslop2005

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

I have tried all the benzoates and even sorbates, but the barium and strintium are very strange, the just burn with a large smokey flame, or not at all... i guess that copper works so well because of Cu's catalytic effects.

recently I looked at using some large diameter, short core rockets, that use a KClO4 fuel, and you can get good results with 10mm ID rockets, 5mm core dia, and 50mm core length, (ill find the formula if anyones interested.)

#13 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

What kind of ratios were you using for the barium and strontium benzoate/sorbates? It sounds incredibly over fueled, which would actually be hard to do.

#14 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

Agreed. Recently I tried small quantities of strontium lactate derived from drug grade lactic acid. Combined with potassium chlorate it produces quite a nice red flame. By your logic it should not at all.

#15 vaslop2005

vaslop2005

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

Agreed. Recently I tried small quantities of strontium lactate derived from drug grade lactic acid. Combined with potassium chlorate it produces quite a nice red flame. By your logic it should not at all.

When the benzoates and sorbates are combined with KClO3 they burn well and produce good colour, but in any ratio with KClO4 they just refuse, and if they do burn, it just results in a bright yellow tarry flame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users