17 replies to this topic

#1 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Under statutory instrument 2004 no 1836 - The Firework Regulations 2004 - section; Prohibition of use of certain fireworks at night - © = "night hours".

It basically states that Diwali firework celebrations can last until 1.00am, but bonfire night celebration only till midnight.

Is this fair? culturally justified?

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 24 August 2010 - 01:19 PM.

#2 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Well, I never realised that, thought the only >12am pyro was allowed on new years'...

Is there any official justification for the extra allowance for Diwali?

#3 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Well, I never realised that, thought the only >12am pyro was allowed on new years'...

Is there any official justification for the extra allowance for Diwali?

Ive contacted the MP for Bradford South for a reply, but I ve recieved no answer as of yet!

Here`s an example the legislation/statute;

http://www.legislati...gulation/7/made

Have I interpreted the above correctly?

#4 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

I just let a few maroons and salutes off each year at 00.59 just becuase i can ;o)

#5 darkfang77

darkfang77

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Wow. I never knew any of these laws.
What does it state about any other night??
And what days/nights are you actually allowed to light fireworks?

How do they class "certain fireworks"? So confusing :blink:

I suppose Christmas is but once a year, Diwali rather, we should actually take advantage of this and light the loudest fireworks we can on Diwali outside our MP's houses at 00:59 just because we can.

I don't suppose there's a law forbidding people who don't follow a religion to light fireworks on religious events?

Edited by darkfang77, 31 August 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#6 chrismdunford

chrismdunford

UKPS Treasurer

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:51 AM

As November 5th ends at midnight I guess it make sense that fireworks should end at midnight, but for Diwali and New Year celebrations the situation is different.

This year however I gather that Diwali falls on 5th November so I suppose everyone can carry on an hour later!

#7 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Wow. I never knew any of these laws.
What does it state about any other night??
And what days/nights are you actually allowed to light fireworks?

As long as you don`t let off fireworks between the hours of 11.00pm and 7.00am.

How do they class "certain fireworks"? So confusing :blink:

Cat 1 = indoor fireworks, for example sparklers for cakes
2 = garden fireworks, minimum safety firing distance of 5 metres
3 = larger fireworks, minimum safety firing distance of 25 metres
4 = for professionals, not for use by the public.

I suppose Christmas is but once a year, Diwali rather, we should actually take advantage of this and light the loudest fireworks we can on Diwali outside our MP's houses at 00:59 just because we can.

Its illegal to let-off fireworks on or within 50 ft of the public highway, although if your back garden (private property) happens to be close to your MP`s property, then you are within the law as far as Im concerned, although again clarity on this matter is up for interpretation.

I don't suppose there's a law forbidding people who don't follow a religion to light fireworks on religious events?

According to my interpretation, chinese new year and diwali are celebrations for anyone to enjoy as part of our multi-cultural diversity (don`t ask), and as such are not confined to persons who follow a particular religion, therefore I see no reason as to why others can not let-off fireworks under the guise of these celebrations when the dates for a particular year are confirmed.

#8 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

As November 5th ends at midnight I guess it make sense that fireworks should end at midnight, but for Diwali and New Year celebrations the situation is different.

This year however I gather that Diwali falls on 5th November so I suppose everyone can carry on an hour later!

I can understand traditional and chinese new year, to the point whereby the celebration is about the passing of one year into another = fireworks until 1.00am, but I can`t understand the Diwali festival being allowed to let-off fireworks until 1.00am, when I believe this celebration is about the warning off of evil spirits via light, and not a new year celebration in itself.

To me, there should be equality/parity with bonfire night every year = 12.00pm, and not a one off until 1.00am for a particular year.

Why is Diwali celebrated at a diferent time within a given year?,...I would hate the fact that our traditional bonfire celebrations are being hijacted or appeased = danger of losing our british celebration.

#9 darkfang77

darkfang77

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

I can understand traditional and chinese new year, to the point whereby the celebration is about the passing of one year into another = fireworks until 1.00am, but I can`t understand the Diwali festival being allowed to let-off fireworks until 1.00am, when I believe this celebration is about the warning off of evil spirits via light, and not a new year celebration in itself.

To me, there should be equality/parity with bonfire night every year = 12.00pm, and not a one off until 1.00am for a particular year.

Why is Diwali celebrated at a diferent time within a given year?,...I would hate the fact that our traditional bonfire celebrations are being hijacted or appeased = danger of losing our british celebration.

I learnt this in RE, Diwali is celebrated at different times each year because they follow a different calandar to us, I think it is called the lunar calandar, the Chinese have a similar thing, hence Chinese's New Year is not celebrated on the 1st Jan, but 2 months later!

Can I just ask everyone? What exactly is a bonfire? A read in a few books that this is just a big massive fire, but I've heard some people say it is a barrage of fireworks.

#10 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

I know that quite recently an MP was trying to get bonfire night recognised as 'intangible cultural heritage' to make sure it stays one of our important traditional days.

I don't know how far he got.

Of course the best way to do it is organise lots of firework parties...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#11 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

I know that quite recently an MP was trying to get bonfire night recognised as 'intangible cultural heritage' to make sure it stays one of our important traditional days.

I don't know how far he got.

Of course the best way to do it is organise lots of firework parties...

Interesting, do we know who the MP is? is it the Rev`s son? I would certainly write to my MP (conservative) to back the cause!

P.S; Phil, please check your personal message on the display cabinets!

#12 johnheritage

johnheritage

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:29 AM

Why do you want to light them at 1am anyway?

Maybe you can chalk it up 0:0, they get to light fireworks a bit later, you don't get the constant racist remarks and ass kickings for being brown.

Why not bother about say... circumcision, and Jewish people being able to permanently, surgically mutilate their kids for absolutely no reason outside of what their religion says, as opposed to, setting some fireworks off 60 minutes later?

If you read into it, I suspect you may find they're allowed to set them off until 1 as something to do with passing into the next day - that's A GUESS. Same with New Years. Bonfire night has nothing to do with passing between days / years.

There are also very few guys celebrating Diwali in the UK, so the disturbance level is right down. Their kids are usually brought up to SHUT UP when dad says SHUT UP and that acting like a gimp is entirely unacceptable, along with forgetting to say please and thank you. They're not out running around blowing telephone boxes up weeks before bonfire night with illegal fireworks.

Bonfire;

"The English term bonfire is attested from the 15th century, as banefire "bone-fire", originally of fires in which the bones of slaughtered animals were burned, allegedly a Gaelic tradition of the slaughter season in autumn (Samhain).[1]"

Pro-Tip, pissing in the faces of those in charge is almost universally not a good idea. If you can't sort a VAT code for suppliers and licenses out, you do not have a powerful enough piss stream to deal with the authorities. Their reply will be, go to jail, do some community service, pay a fine for all those illegal explosives you're making.

Edited by johnheritage, 30 September 2010 - 04:33 AM.

#13 GoldenGarms

GoldenGarms

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hi there

As someone who celebrates Diwali, just thought I'd say that DarkFang77 is right we do follow a Lunar calendar which is why we celebrate at different times of the year (according to the gregorian calendar). The Diwali celebration spans over 5 days, the fourth day being Diwali and the fifth our New Year, I assume this is why we're allowed to fire till 1am (which I think should be extended to cover all 5 days. Who's with me???).

I never saw the fact that both Bonfire night and Diwali falling on the same night this year would be a bad thing, I was looking forward to putting the two displays into one bigger display

#14 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hi there

As someone who celebrates Diwali, just thought I'd say that DarkFang77 is right we do follow a Lunar calendar which is why we celebrate at different times of the year (according to the gregorian calendar). The Diwali celebration spans over 5 days, the fourth day being Diwali and the fifth our New Year, I assume this is why we're allowed to fire till 1am (which I think should be extended to cover all 5 days. Who's with me???).

I never saw the fact that both Bonfire night and Diwali falling on the same night this year would be a bad thing, I was looking forward to putting the two displays into one bigger display

Hi GoldenGarms and thank you for replying to this post.

This year (2010) diwali official celebration date falls on 5th november, with the 26th october for 2011, 13th november for 2012, 3rd november for 2013 - all depending on the hindu lunar calendar in the western hemisphere.

According to my interpretation after some further readings, rightly or wrongly I believe the third day is Diwali, and the forth day being `New Years Day` in the hindu calendar, this also co-incides with your financial new year!

It looks like my initial concerns regarding justification for 1,00am finish for Diwali firework celebrations are or maybe unfounded, although a 1,00am finsh on all five days surely can`t be justified on the grounds that the ending and beginning of one year into another technically falls on two days!

Also, are there any listings for Diwali events around the UK that you know of?

"Saal Mubarak" for next month

#15 GoldenGarms

GoldenGarms

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

Hi GoldenGarms and thank you for replying to this post.

This year (2010) diwali official celebration date falls on 5th november, with the 26th october for 2011, 13th november for 2012, 3rd november for 2013 - all depending on the hindu lunar calendar in the western hemisphere.

According to my interpretation after some further readings, rightly or wrongly I believe the third day is Diwali, and the forth day being `New Years Day` in the hindu calendar, this also co-incides with your financial new year!

It looks like my initial concerns regarding justification for 1,00am finish for Diwali firework celebrations are or maybe unfounded, although a 1,00am finsh on all five days surely can`t be justified on the grounds that the ending and beginning of one year into another technically falls on two days!

Also, are there any listings for Diwali events around the UK that you know of?

"Saal Mubarak" for next month

Thanks crystal palace fireworks

It depends on where you're from, actually a mistake in my post is that I celebrate 6 days (there's an extra day before the 5 you read about), so it is the fourth and fifth day for Diwali and New Year's respectively for me, but third and fourth for others.

Don't worry, I was only joking about having the firework legislation amended to cover all the days of Diwali, although I wouldn't complain if it was

I know Neasden Temple usually has a display and i thinks there's one in the Watford temple, I'd assume Leicecster and Birmingham would have some good displays too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users