20 replies to this topic

#1 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:35 PM

hi,

i am tentatively considering investing in some kind of press.

for pressing comps. such as whistles would an arbour press do ? if so what size ......2ton ?
can you press rockets on an arbour press ?

any points to look out for on a run of the mill, 10 ton hydraulic bench press ?

obvious no nos etc.

i am aware an arbour may need to be slightly modified to increase the ram length and i've seen pics on the forum showing this.

thanks .....dave

#2 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

I will pop up some pics of my presses later, there are options other than standard Arbor presses
Phew that was close.

#3 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

Here is a picture of my setup bear in mind it's normally bolted to 2” work top on trestles with lots of counter weights.

Posted Image
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#4 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

I will pop up some pics of my presses later, there are options other than standard Arbor presses

digger,

i would appreciate that, thanks

dave

#5 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

Here is a picture of my setup bear in mind it's normally bolted to 2” work top on trestles with lots of counter weights.

fflack,

is that a 2 ton press ? how do find it ...........does it produce "solid " compacts as it were, that is, would it produce a solid unsuported cylindrical powder pellet ?
say 1/2 inch or 1 inch in diameter?

dave

#6 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

Yes it's a pretty old 2 ton I picked up on ebay for 35 pounds including postage, it cost about 40 pound to convert including the Lexan shield,
the bars are actually threaded into the cast iron base with nuts as well.

If you mean by cylindrical powder pellet something comparable to a comet with a binder, then no problem at all in your size range.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#7 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

Yes it's a pretty old 2 ton I picked up on ebay for 35 pounds including postage, it cost about 40 pound to convert including the Lexan shield,
the bars are actually threaded into the cast iron base with nuts as well.

If you mean by cylindrical powder pellet something comparable to a comet with a binder, then no problem at all in your size range.

Nice press fflach, they don`t make heavy duty arbors like that anymore.

Whats the ram length?

#8 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:07 PM

The ram travel is 8 1/2 '' anybody know exactly what pressure I can get if I hang off the end of a17'' bar with my 12 stone of weight?
I believe it to be over 2 tons pressure but there is some confusion here ...perhaps someone can give me the calculation and answer.

#9 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

nice press,whats the biggest motor you've pressed on it?
as for which is best ? id say both is best ^_^ the arbor press for its speed of stroke ideal for small motors, fountains, rains etc.
where as the hydraulic comes into its own, on bigger motors 18mm + ?, but has a down side of being extremely slow unless you have a double pump or powerpac fitted

#10 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:10 PM

...perhaps someone can give me the calculation and answer.

I'm sure someone will when he post his pictures :)

#11 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:05 AM

Very nice press there fflach

There are a couple of other types of press that are useful.

I have a hydraulic overclocked 30 tonner ( 40 - 50 tonne if you stand back) I also have a hydraulic pump for it to speed things up, but I have never attached it. It is a relatively expensive setup, which is now pretty redundant as I have a gear arbor press now which I picked up for £70. I don't know how much force it can apply as I don't have gauge for it yet, however if I put a piece of 1.5" dairy pipe under it I can easy just press it straight through 1" thick MDF without having to sharpen it.

So here ya go have a look at this, similar types do come up on the bay from time to time, but it is a bit of a pick up only item as it weighs about 70kg - 80kg.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Phew that was close.

#12 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:08 AM

I'm sure someone will when he post his pictures :)

mmmm too late to think about it, maybe tomorrow.
Phew that was close.

#13 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

thats a nice press you have there digger :)
nice ram length

dave

#14 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

nice press,whats the biggest motor you've pressed on it?
as for which is best ? id say both is best ^_^ the arbor press for its speed of stroke ideal for small motors, fountains, rains etc.
where as the hydraulic comes into its own, on bigger motors 18mm + ?, but has a down side of being extremely slow unless you have a double pump or powerpac fitted

In a corner of my garden I have a sort it out tomorrow pile.
Rusting away there is a nice little Sunnen BP10 - 10 ton hydraullic press.
I got as far as replacing the seal and changing the oil - tested ok with some bp pucks.
I think I am too much of an old woman to play with whistle though which is why I bought it - gives me the willies a bit.
I will get it up and running come the revolution
Posted Image

#15 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

mmmm too late to think about it, maybe tomorrow.

I've had a go at the calculations and this is what I got:

12 inches movement on the end of the handle resulted in a quarter of an inch movement on the end of the ram. 12/0.25=48, leading me to believe that the press gives an advantage of 48x the force put in at the handle end.

Then, to work out the force on the end of the ram I multiplied my body weight of 168lbs by 48, which came out as 8064. This leads me to believe that there is 8064lbs of force on the end of the ram.

The formula for calculating the pressure is pressure=force/area. The area of a 3/4inch tube is 0.4418 square inches, so I did the calculation for the pressure of 8064/0.4418 and got the answer of 18,252.602psi.

I am unsure of my maths on this and it would be very helpful if someone could confirm of correct them. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users