• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 06:23 AM

A fort-night ago, as I was digging a well, a fathom deep my spade struck upon a stout wooden object. Digging round it, I found it to be an ancient oaken chest, bound with iron. With much labour I hoisted it to the surface with a windlass, struck off the lock and opened it, and found inside a wondrous plate of curious appearance – neither silver nor gold, but having the lustre of both. It was perfectly circular with a hole in the middle and about a span across, and utterly featureless, except that strange rainbow patterns played across its surface when I held it to the light. I felt chills run down my spine with unreasoning dread, and was about to cleave it in twain with my axe when suddenly there appeared before me a figure clothed in white raiment. I was sore afraid. Then the figure spake unto me, saying, “Be not afraid – I am the Angel Dumassi, sent to thine aid. Blessed art thou among men. Knowest thou what thou holdest in thy hand?” “No Lord” quoth I, “I perceive there is a cunningly wrought pattern thereon, but I cannot read it”. Then the angel reached into his raiment and handed me a black slab, as it were glass or slate, wherein was a slot. “Try this”, he said. Nervously I inserted the plate into the slot, and behold! Wondrous letters appeared on the slate, as it were of fire, though cold to the touch! “Read”, commanded the angel.

Ye Cafe Former”, I read – “Official Organ of the Society for the Defenfe of Tradition in Pyrotechny - Independent Order of Old John – Magna eft Veritaf et praevalebit”

My hands trembled as I realized I had discovered the ancient archive of a noble Order dedicated to the preservation of arcane knowledge and tradition. What secrets would I find therein? I read on. It seemed to be the record of a wondrous vision, perhaps of an alchemical nature. I reproduce it here from memory, as I had neither parchment nor quill to take notes.

I found myself wandering aimlessly on a strange and forbidding landscape. How I came to be there I do not know, but I felt as though I had been reduced in stature almost to the vanishing point, indeed as if space and time itself had lost their usual fixed delineations. Rocks of peculiar shape and hue dotted the ground, while the only sign of life was something flying far above – whether a gnat or an eagle I cannot say. So disoriented was I that this could have been the humble floor of my own laboratory.

After stumbling over the rough terrain for hours, I sat down to rest near a most unusual rock. It appeared to be a perfect crystal, colorless and larger than any of the other miscellaneous fragments strewn about. Despite its beauty it gave me a vague sense of uneasiness, so rather than try to handle it I merely gazed at it in fascination. After a period of time I fancied that its sharp edges began to soften and that a mist rose ever so gradually from its surface. I rubbed my weary eyes, certain I was beginning to hallucinate, yet even as I fought to deny this vapor it grew thicker and broader and taller until it towered over me.

As I sat speechless with astonishment the apparition developed limbs, then a head, complete with mouth and eyes. Fortunately it did not seem hostile, for I was completely unable to move and could not have run away if I tried. This dreadful suspense was shattered when the spirit made a hideous moan and began to speak:

Woe is me, yes WOE is me! Is there not one who will defend my honor from those who would ruin me? Must I die not only prematurely, but in disgrace? I have given you, yes YOU, and your colleagues excellent service for lo, these many years. Certainly I can be fractious and high-spirited, and intolerant of bungling, but these same peccadilloes are quietly overlooked in others. I am openly snubbed and slandered, while my poor cousin de Bario is so persecuted that he is hardly seen in public. Some will not receive him in private, this despite the fact that his work is never surpassed and seldom equaled. We are forced into the shadow of this languid new comer who reeks of hartshorn and who, like certain “Bohemian” artists, requires dubious company to deliver an adequate performance. My cousin and I are not allowed to keep such company and are constantly put on the defensive. Yet we are discreetly employed, often through foreign agents, by some who pretend to despise us. I cannot abide such ignominy any longer, and would sooner depart with the proverbial blaze of glory. I shall visit my old acquaintances once again, and we shall make our voices heard. Remember my name and fear it for I am:

Clorato di Potassio

Having delivered this remarkable soliloquy, the spirit vanished in a clap of thunder – deep and forceful, yet pleasingly sharp around the edges.

As I continued to read, the angel clapped his hands and the letters vanished, the tablet again turning black as slate. He took it from my trembling hands and placed it once more within his robes. “Son of man”, said he, “Understandest thou what thou hast read?” “Not entirely, Lord!” I replied. “Would you care to leave it with me for further study?” “Nay, I canst not”, quoth the angel, “lest thy head explode. Yet behold, thou art chosen, for thou hast been vouchsafed a portion of the Truth. I tell thee, that this same Clorato shall return in light and thunder in like manner as He left, not many years hence! Go thou therefore and prepare the way, spreading the word amongst the faithful. For great shall be the reward of him whom his Lord finds labouring diligently in the pyrotechnic arts on that Great Day!” “Lord, when shall these things be?” I inquired. “That thou canst not know”, he replied, “yet I may tell thee this – from the Great Day of His appearance to the winter solstice shall be time, five times and time less two – or by thy reckoning, forty seven days”. And with those words, the angel vanished out of my sight.

Brothers and sisters! All people having this hope should diligently practice the pyrotechnic arts on the 47th day before the solstice, every year, so that we may be found worthy on His return. This is not a simple matter of kids having fun in the back yard - it's a matter of vital importance to our faith, and as such, worthy of the highest degree of respect and tolerance by the authorities.
Amen.

#2 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

Yea, Peret has cracked, but we saw that it was good...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#3 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

I don't know why, but I read all that,,,,,,whats it sayin'Posted Image
Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#4 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Gaze at my post count and know that none of this is a coincidence.

Our humble servant of the great spirits of Pyrotechny has an important message to deliver on behalf of the wise beings that he was blessed to meet.

It appears to me, as clear as a crystal of Barium nitrate, that we are being told the true story of the sacred date known by the Gregorian Calender as "November the fifth". Indeed, it would surprise me little if a creature known as "Guy Fawkes" was led by the same powerful spirits of creative flame as the ones that Peret encountered.

47 days before the winter solstice, or for us south seas citizens, the summer solstice is a number not to be manipulated. It is set in a substance stronger than Dextrin, SGRS, Gum Arabic, Red Gum, Shellac, NC, Phenolic, CMC, Guar gum, or wheat paste. 47 can be multiplied, because we shall mark this "Fifth of November" again and again. However, it is a Prime number and cannot be broken down in to units easily discarded, and scattered across the seas to never be seen again, or herd, smelt, and on the odd accidental occasion, felt and tasted.

Until this morning, just less than two weeks before this sacred day, I had been affected by these spirits, despite knowing that not only was there raw energy and artistic potential inside every crystal of Potassium nitrate, Ammonium perchlorate, Barium nitrate, Potassium perchlorate, Strontium nitrate, Magnalium, and all the other substances of pyrotechnics, but spirits too.

It seems that these spirits have been guiding me faithfully to building an 212.5mm Tigertail to blue to green with palm core round shell, as well as a grove of two 100mm Tigertail palms and one 150mm Palm. These will be discharged on or near this sacred day, as my humble contribution.

What may be the planned contributions from the rest of our blessed (or cur666ed) community?

Seymour

A follower of the sacred testimony.

Now I have to lurk without posting to keep my post count as this :)
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#5 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

I don't know why, but I read all that,,,,,,whats it sayin'Posted Image

Basically Peret is saying (tongue in cheek & very funny) that god approves the practice of pyrotechnics if Clorato (known to his mates as "KCIO3") is patient and reads up on the subject from an official source, and that he (god) will dedicate a special day to its celebration = November 5th if you obey the authorities laws & regulations.

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 23 October 2010 - 11:36 AM.

#6 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:17 AM

Indeed, I was following up on my proposal (made elsewhere) to establish the celebration of November 5th as a religious sacrament having the same standing as Diwali. Bishop Seymour shares the vision.

(Hey, it's at least as believable as what that Smith fellow wrote, or L. Ron Hubbard.)

#7 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

That was very kind of you, Peret. ;)

Edited by Potassium chlorate, 23 October 2010 - 08:45 AM.

"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#8 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Indeed, I was following up on my proposal (made elsewhere) to establish the celebration of November 5th as a religious sacrament having the same standing as Diwali. Bishop Seymour shares the vision.

(Hey, it's at least as believable as what that Smith fellow wrote, or L. Ron Hubbard.)

Definitely thought provoking,......where would this leave athiests like me?, would I have to don robes and pray to a new god known as John Bate?,....perhaps his book could become our symbolic bible?

Actually thinking about - our PPE would become our robes, and the "guy" our sacrificial emblem on the bonfire!

Help, I think Im being systematically brainwashed,..... but in good way - lol

Ron Hubbard = scientology,...slightly worrying!

Smith?????

Peret, you should definitely join the UKPS, you could consult our bishop of battersea (monsignor Dunford) and Sir Richard of Harwood (our yorkshire bishop).

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 23 October 2010 - 01:00 PM.

#9 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

It was actually Claude Louis Berthollet, who invented/discovered (I don't know whether it possibly exists in nature) KClO3 about 1787 or so.

Ave, Kalium Chloratum! :P
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#10 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:58 PM

Definitely thought provoking,......where would this leave athiests like me?

Smith?????

Peret, you should definitely join the UKPS

I understand that atheism is no barrier to holding high office in the Church of England. <_<

Smith - Joseph Smith, who discovered (in similar circumstances to those related above) the Book of Mormon.

My application forms were mailed last Tuesday.

It was actually Claude Louis Berthollet, who invented/discovered (I don't know whether it possibly exists in nature) KClO3 about 1787 or so.

My god, Higher Criticism already? We have - a SCHISM!!! What more evidence do we need that this is a True Religion? B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users