20 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:17 PM

I know this is lamer than a speeding donkey that's gone over a stinger and got three flat hooves, but I have to say it anyway.

Having got a Passifre subscription for my birthday, I've been reading through the archives. I just read the article "Color to Report Cake," and have concluded: Mr Kepley does make exceedingly good cakes!

#2 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:10 PM

Maybe you should submit that to him. Doubt it would register anything over there though...
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 10:43 PM

:lol: Passfire puts my little site to shame, I'm going to get something more swish online soon :)

#4 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 12:06 AM

The term 'swish' sure has a different meaning over there.

#5 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:27 PM

Apart from it's usual whippy sort of meaning:

Swish; Offensive Slang. Used as a disparaging term for a homosexual man.

Swish; Informal. Fashionable; posh: ?a swish pastry shop on the Rue du Bac? (Julia Child).

Swish; Slang. Effeminate.

PS; Adam, feel free to submit the cake thing to Mr Kepley if you want/were serious. I won't as I don't know him or anything.

Edited by Phoenix, 03 March 2004 - 05:21 PM.

#6 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 09:46 PM

Next time I have a chat with him maybe I'll pop it in.

Again, to all - Don't be tight. Subscribe to Passfire. It's worth it for the formulae alone.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#7 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:11 AM

And its got lots of pictures!!!!!

c'mon fella's, support the scene. Give generously.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:10 PM

I was going to buy a copy of the Westech Fireworks Manual from Skylighter as a source of all round firworks info, as but after I took a guest account I found there was far more high quality how-to there, and of course you get more every month. And you get to mess about with ShellSim :)

Whilst a lot the projects are beyond the scope of me and probably most hobbyists in the UK (like this issue's 6" by about 36" long compartment shell) it's all great reading and there are also a lot of projects that can be done more covertly (like BigG's saxons).

Books are great, and you can take them to your workshop, and read them in bed, and I'm not dissing them at all, but if you're trying to build up some pyro literature on a limited budget (like me), you should probably take a ?25.00 Passfire subscription before you spend ?60 a piece on Shimizu's books (I wish I could afford FAST :( ).

#9 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:52 PM

I was going to buy a copy of the Westech Fireworks Manual from Skylighter as a source of all round firworks info, as but after I took a guest account I found there was far more high quality how-to there, and of course you get more every month. And you get to mess about with ShellSim :)

Whilst a lot the projects are beyond the scope of me and probably most hobbyists in the UK (like this issue's 6" by about 36" long compartment shell) it's all great reading and there are also a lot of projects that can be done more covertly (like BigG's saxons).

Books are great, and you can take them to your workshop, and read them in bed, and I'm not dissing them at all, but if you're trying to build up some pyro literature on a limited budget (like me), you should probably take a ?25.00 Passfire subscription before you spend ?60 a piece on Shimizu's books (I wish I could afford FAST :( ).

I couldn?t agree more. Passfire is an excellent builders site that aim at getting you building fast without the need for all that complicated chemistry. However, while Kyle is very careful about mixing beginners and advance material, a basic understanding of pyrotechnic technique and chemical reaction is still very important. I would still go with tom?s perigrin ?Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics? before trying to construct anything. It explains the real basics and gives good and valuable info about working safely.

It is also important to say that some of the things on the site are beyond the building abilities of USA members. Some of those compartment shells weight between 3.5-5 kilos! That?s a lot of chemicals and a lot of money in every shell. Consider the fact that Kyle flowerpot a few of those before getting it right?. Then again, not many are as serious about the art. Let?s not forget that Kyle hold a ?grandmaster constructor? title.

#10 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:23 PM

It's always good to know that you've done something right. By sheer coincidence I signed up to Passfire at around midday today.

Passfire must now be held responsible for the fact that my company got no work out of me at all this afternoon. What a well written resource!

My wife however saw me on the site this evening and noting the title, remarked that she thought it was a self help group for those who had had too much curry the night before...

#11 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:49 PM

My wife however saw me on the site this evening and noting the title, remarked that she thought it was a self help group for those who had had too much curry the night before...

That occured to me too ;)

Yes BigG, IPP is definately good for beginners, and there's a lot of useful info for intermediate pyro's in there too. I got it a while back, and at the time the shipping was only a few dollars less than the book itself, which was a pain, but it was still worth it.

In my humble eyes, this discussion seems to be getting to a point where it would be better suited to another topic. Perhaps any further replies about IPP would be better in "Books" in General Chat and Discussion?

Edited by Phoenix, 15 January 2004 - 09:03 PM.

#12 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 06:26 PM

Honestly I don?t think Passfire is particulary good. I don?t need to get instructions how to build pyro projekts. Maby because I can afford the books I like to have (Pyro is my only "money demanding" hobby). The reason I am here is to share experience, tips, find inspiration and because it?s fun to share my hobby with other people. And for that reason I don?t like to pay.
If you folks are going to leave this forum I?m leaving UK-rocketry to get back to my hermit hobby -_- <_<

#13 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 10:15 PM

All I can say is that I hope that the pyro gods don't strike you down where you stand.

I like books too, especially the ones with lots of pictures but Passfire does have certain advantages.

#14 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:07 AM

And the certain advantages are?

#15 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:52 AM

Who said we were leaving?

I was a passfire member before I joined here, actually I tried a few times to join here for the discussion, but only got my account in December. Having both is good IMO. Kyle's pictures and explinations are great, but the passfire forums are pretty low volume compared to here or rec.pyrotechnics.

I must admit this month's compartment shell on passfire is pretty much a rehash of the previous maltese shells, just with different spolettes. Honestly I was pretty disappointed with that, but I am sure Kyle is pretty busy at the moment. Seeing that tray of side-fused salutes was kinda cool though. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users