49 Barium nitrate
18 Sulfur
11 MgAl, Granular, -60 mesh
9 MgAl, Granular, -200 mesh
6 Hexachloroethane
5 Dextrin
2 Potassium dichromate
0.5 Boric acid

. . . and wondering if it's assumed this is a water or water/alcohol binder--or is it kosher to bind with NC lacquer?

Also going way out on a limb with this one and subbing PVC for the Hexa- at a ratio of about half (3 or 4 parts instead of 6).

Any advice ye maestros?

Gratefully,
s

#2 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

Since it's dextrine these stars would have been bound using water - if you're making strobe pots though you'd do better not to try binding the comp - just gently press into the tube, you could maybe omit the dextrin, worth a try. I'd be doubtful about subbing PVC for HCE, as it contains a LOT less chlorine and has a higher fuel value; Parlon might be better, though I suspect that a compound that contains little or no hydrogen might be necessary.

Edited by pyrotrev, 15 March 2011 - 02:26 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#3 sagoraMundy

sagoraMundy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

Yeah I realized soon as I posted that note that I'm really expecting a miracle, playing with so many variables. Have read elsewhere of successful substitutions of PVC for HCB--but not for HCE--so that one's a real long shot.

Just trying to get a little color here. I'm brand new at strobe pots and have gotten some successful builds yielding brilliant (downright blinding) flashes--but no real color yet.

(They either just burn with the desired color and don't strobe or else they strobe white).

Thanx trev for advising me,
s

#4 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 08 October 2011 - 10:10 PM.

#5 sagoraMundy

sagoraMundy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

Friend sent me this strobe he shot with his cell phone. Ignited by wire with a 9v battery. Thinking it must be an AP formula. (He has no idea of the comp as someone gave it to him; claims they sell for ten US dollars each. Choke). Wouldn't give one US dollar--but I do love that red color.

http://tinyurl.com/4kc45t2

#6 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

If you're going to replace the HCE, I would do it in a reasonable way. Either replace it 1:1 based on chlorine content, or 1:1 based on fuel value. I wouldn't expect much by replacing the HCE with PVC. You're in the US too, HCE is not that hard to come by. Let us know how it goes. The replacement you've proposed probably isn't too off from the fuel replacement, but you're clearly losing a lot of chlorine. I do agree that parlon would be a better choice. Even the parlon strobes I've seen leave something to be desired.

#7 sagoraMundy

sagoraMundy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

Can't recall where I read it but there was a discussion of substituting PVC for HCB and the ratio was stated as "from slightly less to slightly more than half" of the percentage of HCB. (And hey, where to do get off thinking HCE and HCB are interchangeable?).

Anyway examining the formulae it would seem more and not less PVC would be in order--considering as you say the obvious reduction of Chlorine atoms in the PVC.

Till my HCE arrives I may try again with Parlon and water as binder instead of NC lacquer.

Did a test burn of the first try and as suggested, it only burned; no strobe.

Also may try a small (very small considering the sensitivity) test batch subbing Ba(ClO3)2 for the Ba(NO3)2. There's chlorine there . . .

#8 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:13 AM

Barium chlorate doesn't burn vibrationally with MgAl like Barium nitrate does, so that'd be a quick test to no where.

I'd go with Parlon. I've never seen a strobe with PVC or Saran. They're too good of fuels. You need something much less willing to burn like HCE, HCB, parlon, or perhaps dechlorane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users