• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

i am sure i have read somewhere on this forum (not apc) that years ago, schermuly (which later became pains wessex) used a copper oxide / aluminium thermite composition for their
lifeboat harbour maroons.

as a collector of all bits of pyro info i am curious why they picked this composition, (which correct me if wrong, may be even more hazardous than the usual 70:30) as opposed to traditional 70:30 al/perch.

economics ? nature of the noise, deep boom? availability of materials? stability ?

i am NOT interested in making flash, pechlorate or other, this is purely an academic interest question.

anyone know the answer?

dave

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

I cannot tell you the flash comp but I can tell you that they also ejected two green stars. The quickmatch was covered in a bitumen like coating and the delay was a cardboard tube with a brass thread on one end. This screwed into a thread on the end of the match and could be ignited by a striker.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:10 AM

dangerous compositions are sometimes made with the binary method, the ingredients are added to the shell unmixed taking much of the danger away from the maker handling alone mixes the chems, a single star is sometimes added to aggitate the contents and help mixing, maybe this explains the two green stars, unless im missing something.
dan

#4 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:22 PM

not quite what i asked, but thanks for trying

dave

#5 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

not quite what i asked, but thanks for trying

dave

Have you thought about contacting Chemring Defence who now own PW Defence which used to be Pains Wessex and Schermuly. They may have archive material.
Details here -

Chemring Defence UK

Wilne Mill, Draycott, Derbyshire, DE72 3QJ, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1332 871100 Fax: +44 (0)1332 873046

#6 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

Have you thought about contacting Chemring Defence who now own PW Defence which used to be Pains Wessex and Schermuly. They may have archive material.
Details here -

Chemring Defence UK

Wilne Mill, Draycott, Derbyshire, DE72 3QJ, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1332 871100 Fax: +44 (0)1332 873046

i might just do that ,.........i had a tour of the site many years ago when it used to be hayley and weller

dave321

#7 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

i might just do that ,.........i had a tour of the site many years ago when it used to be hayley and weller

dave321

I was offered a job there in the 80's as Production Manager when I left the Army. Decided against it and took a different career path!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users