3 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

I have been looking at some glitter formulas in particular Win 39J.
But after reading up on it I find that if you are using boric acid to stop the Magnalium water reaction that it will neutralize the effects of the Barium carbonate for the delay.
I'm talking comets here with only 6.5 moisture, using distilled water but I have read that distilled water makes matters worse is this the case, I thought it was the other way round?
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#2 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

Not sure using boric acid with magnalium is correct. I'm prety sure thats for aluminium only. I think its harmful to magnalium. Maybe someone else could chime in??

Maxman

#3 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

I think boric acid reacts with the magnesium,unless your mixing large qauntities, boric acid is liable to do more harm than good,ive always used de ionised water or even tap water at a push and coudnt realy tell of a difference,i have found overwetting a mixture can ruin a good glitter comp though and type/grade of ali/mag can alter the effect dramatically aswell.

#4 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:05 AM

I have personally experienced MgAl based comps being harmed by boric acid. I don't use it anymore unless I really need it. That is particularly for comps using aluminum (flake more so) and sodium oxalate specifically. Sodium bicarbonate to a lesser degree.

I am of the belief that boric acid cannot neutralize carbonates. This is specifically with regard to sodium bicarbonate, but barium carbonate should be the same. Carbonic acid is stronger than boric acid, so it will not form, and thus the carbonates will not be neutralized. It's the same reason you can mix vinegar and salt to pickle things, and not produce clouds of HCl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users