Photo

Legality of storing/selling magnesium blocks?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Boffin

Boffin

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

I've been looking into buying 1 - 2 metric tonnes of >99.8% magnesium from my metal suppliers I use for my day-to-day business. I only need a fraction of it but it is difficult to find high purity magnesium except for niche applications like fire starters, and even very small quantities cost exorbitant rates. The magnesium will come in substantial, solid blocks about 4 litres in volume each on a pallet.

What are the laws pertaining to the storage of such materials in residential premises (I work from home) or does common sense just apply?

If sufficiently wide open space (e.g. a farm of a relative) could be found, is it OK to store the magnesium in a 20" container away from inhabited buildings?

Also, how many people would be interested in buying blocks of magnesium blocks in kg-quantities? I estimate the price to be between £5 - £10 per kg, depending on how much I have to pay for shipping and storage.

What laws relate to the sale of such large blocks and not in powder form?

Thanks.

#2 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

I think common sense applies with this one.

I don't believe that the sale of magnesium ingots is restricted in any way. They are not classed as hazardous as far as I am aware.

However, storing that quantity at home may be another issue. Just think what would happen if there was a major fire, I would guess your insurance company would try not to pay out.

I would guess the best option would be in a shipping container somewhere away from buildings. There are rules on what you can an can't store. However these rules normally kick in at higher masses than 1- 2 tonnes. The best place for information on the storage of this sort of thing is the HSE website. There is a great deal of legislation, but as I have already said with such a small volume I think you will fall outside of it, but it is your responsibility to check. As the say ignorance is no defence.

G
Phew that was close.

#3 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

Sacrificial anodes are essentially 1-2kg blocks of Mg. You can get them from boatyards/chandlers for about £15-£20.

Not sure about the purity but they are good enough for Pyro, and certainly legal.

Getting them into powdered form can be a pain (you may find a better method than filing them down by hand), but you will have that issue anyway

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users