6 replies to this topic

#1 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

hi,

a simple question, may not be a simple answer......

what press size would i need to compress a cylindrical pellet, 48mm in diameter and 35mm in length ?

10ton, 20ton, or larger?

any ideas

dave

#2 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

It really depends on what you are compressing....I'm assuming you are making BP pucks for corning from the description.

Good BP should be a density of 1.7g / cm3. I've had no problems using a 2 tonne press for this, although the puck was about a third the volume of that you mention.

A 10 tonne press should easily suffice.....

#3 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

It really depends on what you are compressing....I'm assuming you are making BP pucks for corning from the description.

Good BP should be a density of 1.7g / cm3. I've had no problems using a 2 tonne press for this, although the puck was about a third the volume of that you mention.

A 10 tonne press should easily suffice.....

hi,
no, its not for blackpowder, its for a smoke pellet with central core

it may or may not be granulated (which aids compression), dont want to get a 10 ton if i really need a 20ton press or more

dave

#4 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

Smoke pellet or canister. Obviously a canister will have a much larger surface area so will need more tonnage for the same compression.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#5 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Smoke pellet or canister. Obviously a canister will have a much larger surface area so will need more tonnage for the same compression.

hi,

canister ??
it will be a raw pellet 48mm diameter(compacted cylinder) with central hole16mm diameter, cylinder length 35mm
which will be ejected from the die

dave

#6 dan100

dan100

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

how much do you want/need said pellet to weigh? its almost impossible to give an answer without all the figures.
how much does the loose or granulated comp weigh in grams per cc? this is relative to how heavy the finished pellet can be and how much force you need to apply.
and whether or not you would need to omit the use of a binder higher pressure would be needed without lower pressure with.

dan.

#7 drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Dear Pyro-Friend:

Calculate, whatever you press, upon the base of the surface of your product, where you apply pression: s = 3,14 x r2.

cilindrical stars : about 300 Kg / cm2
spollets for shells, rockets, charged with moistened powder: about 400 Kg x cm2
rockets, charged with dry powder: about 600 Kg x cm2 (if youy apply more, generally paper case does not resist any more.)

Yours truly;
greetings from Brazil:

Dr. Toivo Willmann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users