• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

I am looking into starting a retail firework business,my idea is to get a converted shipping container,half storage/half sales outlet.I am looking to get some 1.3 registered storage of which the max my council will register is 100kg NEQ which i figure should be enough to be going on with,my thinking being it would be nice to offer some 1.3g material like large rockets and noisy sibs etc,(unless people think i should be able to have a good range with 1.4G?)I have a suitable site with safety distances etc,its insurable as i have quotes etc.

But what i am not totally sure of is,will i be able to have my storage and sales in the same building?

#2 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

I am looking into starting a retail firework business,my idea is to get a converted shipping container,half storage/half sales outlet.I am looking to get some 1.3 registered storage of which the max my council will register is 100kg NEQ which i figure should be enough to be going on with,my thinking being it would be nice to offer some 1.3g material like large rockets and noisy sibs etc,(unless people think i should be able to have a good range with 1.4G?)I have a suitable site with safety distances etc,its insurable as i have quotes etc.

But what i am not totally sure of is,will i be able to have my storage and sales in the same building?

I would think you need your sales area separate from your storage and just pull out what you need for each sale then lock up again, though you can have some fireworks on show in your sales area if they are in cabinets.
But I am sure others will know far more.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#3 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:53 PM

should be ok in the same building as long as they are separated with a wall with suitable fire protection.

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

The definitive guide would be MSER and then the opinion of the TSO responsible in your area. Usually you are only allowed a small amount in the shop (which is why shops have dummies or fired cases on display) The lives may have to be collected by staff from a store and passed directly to the customer after payment is made.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

It should be achievable but you need to read the Approved Code Of Practice (ACOP) to the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 before you commit to the venture. The ACOP specifies the requirements for storage in retail premises and sets out the limits of explosives that may be kept in display units.

You mention that you would want to stock HT3 ( always use the term HT when talking about storage - and HD for transport). Please bear in mind that when HT3 and 4 are stored together then the entire explosive content is treated as the highest hazard. As an extreme example, if you had 99kg of HT4 items and just 1 kg of HT3 the whole amount becomes HT3 for the purposes of establishing separation distances etc.

When you plan your storage/retail unit also consider that although you may have a registration for 100kg of HT3 can you physically fit it all in? Generally we work to the Net Explosive Content (NEC) of fireworks being one quarter of the gross weight.

#6 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

What i should have mentioned is that i will have a half hour fire wall between the two areas.

Reading through the various regs i think its a max of 12kg nec per cabinet,and as for storing 400kg gross of goods,i am planning on a 20ft container,half storage,half sales,i thought it would be better to go for the maximum and then see if i have to accept less,I think it would be better to have to much than not enough.

But in priciple ,this should be possible?

#7 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

What i should have mentioned is that i will have a half hour fire wall between the two areas.

Reading through the various regs i think its a max of 12kg nec per cabinet,and as for storing 400kg gross of goods,i am planning on a 20ft container,half storage,half sales,i thought it would be better to go for the maximum and then see if i have to accept less,I think it would be better to have to much than not enough.

But in priciple ,this should be possible?

provided that you can meet the separation distances and that you can comply with the requirements of the ACOP in respect of preventing fire and explosion then no problems. dont forget that each display unit quantity is subtracted from the ammount that you have in storeage.

#8 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:39 PM

provided that you can meet the separation distances and that you can comply with the requirements of the ACOP in respect of preventing fire and explosion then no problems. dont forget that each display unit quantity is subtracted from the ammount that you have in storeage.

Thanks for your input Danny,

i will read through Acop and see what the requirements are.

#9 ToFe

ToFe

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

Even though the MSER is the definitive guide, it all comes down to the TSO, they can interpret or totally ignore it (even though they can't, they can).

Best bet is to ask them, as even if you follow the MSER have your seperation distances and fire ratings and even have suppression systems etc they can still turn around and say no.

#10 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

In my experience TSO's are very good at making up things that are not listed in regulation. My advice is to know the regulations and have a copy on hand. If they try to make you comply with something that obviously is not in the regs or made up. Ask them to provide a copy of the relevant legislation. They usually walk away sheepishly and you hear no more about it. I must point out that I am not suggesting that you go against written regs, but TSO's often have scant knowledge about firework regs and make things up. After all fireworks occupy a small amount of their yearly work.

Most people naturally assume TSO's know the law inside out. Often they do not.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

Remember that a TSO has fireworks as a SMALL part of their total job. They have to cover food health and lots of other things too.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 scjb

scjb

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

I'd always assumed food safety came under Environmental Health?

#13 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

Here`s a page from cheshire east councils website on retail firework storage that may help clarify your needs, although do check with your own local authority -

http://www.cheshiree..._fireworks.aspx

#14 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

Here`s a page from cheshire east councils website on retail firework storage that may help clarify your needs, although do check with your own local authority -

http://www.cheshiree..._fireworks.aspx

Thanks for providing the link,i must addmit that i have spent a good few evenings trawling through the web reading different authoritys websites on the matter.

#15 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for providing the link,i must addmit that i have spent a good few evenings trawling through the web reading different authoritys websites on the matter.

Your welcome,

Starseeker, out of curiosity, can you tell us a little bit more about your proposed set up? Is this a farm shop or garden centre type set up? or seasonal shop (short lease) in a shopping centre area? are you going down the all year round shop route?

I can see some of the attractions of a shipping container storage/sales type retail outlet, but as others have indicated, having sufficient storage within a shipping container is one thing, but also having enough room within that container to sort out stock/orders is another?

Depending on where your trading from and If the regs allow, I personally would go for a seperate sales area (portakabin or exhibition trailer with perhaps a canopy that opens out) = this will make browsing from a public perspective much easier/roomier & enjoyable, I would have firework dummies in tall display cabinets, but also have a few locked feeder storage cabinet within the sales area to keep live firework in = otherwise you will keep trapsing back & forward to the main storage area too often = saves time = more customer get served quicker = overall better security.

You also have to consider any new/existing regulations with regard to public access in your retail sales area - for example, will it meet fire regs in terms of alternative fire escape routes in your risk assesment?, disabled access?

For what its worth and In my humble opinion as a first chioce option (providing leasing rates are reasonable) and if your going for a seasonal shop, I would look at vacant retail outlets in August/September within shopping centres = large exisitng footfall = less spending on costly advertising (which often does not work)

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users