1 reply to this topic

#1 organic_chemist

organic_chemist

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Hi all,
just getting back into fun chemistry after a very long time. Ok, bit of background before I ask the question (mods please bear with me!). Been into chemistry since age 10, where my first pyro experience was a mix of KIO3+S from a 1976 Thomas Salter Chem Set (oh how times have changed..).!

Anyway spent nearly all my working life (so far) in various fields of Chemistry, including acadeamia where I was a research associate/lecturer for about a decade. I'm fully genned up on COSHH, REACH etc. and of course safety. Been doing a fair bit of searching and I'm still a bit unclear as to what exactly the law is now regarding what can and cannot be made at home, so any clarification would be greatly appreciated. I know you can't make 'fireworks' (legally), but what about very small (open) mixtures for garden displays etc? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

Basically, the law says that you can make up to 100g of explosive composition for the purposes of research and experimentation, as long as it is not sold, stored or put to practical use.

If you stick to this, I am sure that you would be required to show that you are doing experimentation if you had a visit by the authorities. So my advice is, keep detailed notes of everything. This also helps in keeping consistency if you need to re-create anything for further "Research".

Edited by Mortartube, 06 October 2011 - 12:32 PM.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users