10 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hi All

I know these are rare, so thought I'd share this info. Standard NiCad battery for Shrike exploder. NSN 1375-99-207-8992 but they want £150 for including the VAT...Ouch!

http://www.thexmod.c...il.asp?id=11571

Edited by Pyro-centric, 01 February 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#2 scjb

scjb

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

You can buy them brand-new direct from the manufacturer (BDL Systems) for about that.

EDIT: Just realized it's been a few years since I bought any... anyone know current list price?

Edited by scjb, 01 February 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#3 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for that info. I wasn't sure if BDL would deal with civvies. E-bay price for a battery is £20 to £35( with a pouch), but you don't know it's history. The picture in the link is of a used item I'm sure.

I now just have to find a mains charger!

#4 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

If you have one but its dead then why not simply rebuild it!

I purchased the new cells and rebuilt mine for about £40, so it was better than new?

Not sure if they are ALL rebuild-able but if you say hi I can say from a picture, help do it or do it for you.

#5 scjb

scjb

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yes, BDL will deal with civvies, though they do tend to be somewhat patronizing. Cooperman is quite right about opening them up of course (dremel job or did you find a more elegant method Cooperman?), and I also seem to recall that Steve M had made up some AA-powered battery packs that fit the standard Shrike too.

#6 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Cooperman, as luck would have it I have 2 ( I know , bloody show off). I'll charge them up and see if the work. If not I'll be in touch.

scjb, thank you too. I had heard he'd done that. Patronising..oh dear.......erm....I say, why do civvies chaps want to blow things up??

#7 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Yep, i managed to carefully prize the case off with some ingenious thinking so it went back asorigionally intended,

Haven't made a "proper" charger for it yet though. Physically remaking it was my area of expertises but a charger needs a bit of thought, ill do it one day.

Ive also made "spare" battery packs yep, aa, aaa and D cell are all fine as the input voltage is pretty variable. It can be a bit easier to replace cells that way btu if your like me you want it to look origional :-)

#8 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

That's a silly price but someone will pay it! There is a mod to a shrike to access the power connections on the PCB then they work from 12 - 18volts, ( a small 12v SLA is slow but two high grade NiMH PP3s work well )

Mods to the battery can be from the connector side or the outside, both ways use a "dremel" or the like and need 12 NiCD or NiMH cells. Keep the connector position very carefully.

Getting the charger is the harder bit especially the proper desk top charger, now they are usefull and rare as Rocking horse p... Unless you know better.

It was the lack of availability of the proper cycling charger that encouraged me to use the "wre to the pcb" mod and it works well and the two NiMH PP3s go in a plugtop charger and take a couple of hours.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#9 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'd love a desk top charger...I did see one on ebay, but I was 3 months to late...it went for about £10 plus postage...doh!!

#10 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

But as the connector on the back is so easy to connect to I made a simple plastic block with contacts to use instead of the battery when I wanted an external power source other than the origional battery, why damage them in the first place?

#11 kettenkrad

kettenkrad

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hi if someone is interested I have a Shrike 4x new batterys and a mains charger for sale brought a year ago but never used ,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users