11 replies to this topic

#1 Farnet

Farnet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hi Guys,

One thing I've been thinking about is having one of those screens they seem to use in Mythbusters, that they can run behind when they are about to set something off.

They seem to be heavy duty and explosive resistant, but I'd imagine finantially resistant as well... what are the best options for a normal enthusiast.

The safer and better for a price, as I'd rather spend a bit more than regret it on the day...so to speak.

doesn't neccessarily need to be portable, as I could build it into something.... when my wife isn't looking ;-)

Cheers

Simon
Everything is poisonous if taken in the extreme.

Take time for example, have too much of it and you will eventually die....

#2 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

At the pyro shoots I go to, we just have sheets of 3/4" plywood with bracing around the outsides, and some legs to angle them a bit. They'd work for probably all but a direct large whistle rocket strike. There are a few with plexiglass or polycarbonate built in to view through. Those get heavy quickly though. Something with a window may keep the prices down while maintaining functionality over using full sheet polycarbonate.

#3 Farnet

Farnet

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Must admit I am for the full polycarbonate screen, as I have a new toy in the guise of a high speed camera (300fps), but I have noticed you have to be very close to the action to get anything of quality.

so the shield need to be able to protect me, and be be clear so I can use it with a camera on tripod behind it.

so how good would a polycarbonate one be? and how expensive, i'd like to be in the position that paying less doesn't then limit the use of my apendages and eyes etc if something does go wrong..... Mortar proof, bullet proof :-) ?

anyway, it's be easy with a better quality camera, but the cost exponentially goes mad for HS cameras as soon as you want something vaguely tv quality.
Everything is poisonous if taken in the extreme.

Take time for example, have too much of it and you will eventually die....

#4 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Must admit I am for the full polycarbonate screen, as I have a new toy in the guise of a high speed camera (300fps), but I have noticed you have to be very close to the action to get anything of quality.

so the shield need to be able to protect me, and be be clear so I can use it with a camera on tripod behind it.

so how good would a polycarbonate one be? and how expensive, i'd like to be in the position that paying less doesn't then limit the use of my apendages and eyes etc if something does go wrong..... Mortar proof, bullet proof :-) ?

anyway, it's be easy with a better quality camera, but the cost exponentially goes mad for HS cameras as soon as you want something vaguely tv quality.

Thins makes me think of detonationfilms...

If you can remote control the cam something like this might be suitable?

http://www.detonatio...m/dangercam.htm

#5 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

MIExpE & Director - Illusion Fireworks Ltd

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

I can get you a 1830 x 1220mm 10mm PolyCarb sheet for about £100, will stop a 2.2 round

www.illusionfireworks.com - A SKY FULL OF MAGIC!

#6 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Can you get 25mm thick ? Looking for about 40 cm sq.

#7 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

MIExpE & Director - Illusion Fireworks Ltd

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Sadly not our supplier only holds up to 10mm apparently it gets super expensive :(

www.illusionfireworks.com - A SKY FULL OF MAGIC!

#8 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Sadly not our supplier only holds up to 10mm apparently it gets super expensive :(

protodezine@gmail.com

#9 icarus

icarus

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

anchor surplus at nottingham has some police riot shields for sale I can check the price and bring to agm if they are suitable -some used ones have missing corners but good to cut up for a screen
protodezine@gmail.com

#10 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:27 AM

I'll see if I can find the website I'm thinking of where they tested things like this. However you may be able to double or triple up sheets to meet your protective requirements.

#11 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'll see if I can find the website I'm thinking of where they tested things like this. However you may be able to double or triple up sheets to meet your protective requirements.

i agree, it was my understanding multiple sheets with air space betwen each,
are better than one thick sheet,

cant find the reference though

dave

#12 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Its for a new lid for my vacuum chamber so i think a solid piece would be required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users