• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Fantastic Fireworks (Luton) run a 2 day Cat 4 training course three times a year. They have a couple of places left for the course this weekend (30th June and 1st July) and have dropped the cost to half price at £197.50.
I did the Cat 4 training with UKPS a few years back but have only done a couple of shows since, so have signed up for this weekend to refresh my knowledge and get back into it.
If anyone is interested have a look while the price is good: http://www.fantastic...ory-4-training/

#2 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

No disrespect to FF intended, I know they are very highly regarded, but it seems a bit of a rip off to me. You can't blame businesses for doing what they can to make a shilling though.
I would have thought that any decent professionally run firework company would be keen to provide this training for free providing they are satisfied you will show a bit of commitment and loyalty during the season.
Any company I have had dealings with has adopted this line.
I know Stuart at Spyrotechnics (He's on here but I can't remember his name) recently had a fee paying training day whereby if the attendee went on to work for him satisfactorily, the cost was refunded.
The IC course is a bit different as it is sort of semi accredited, if 'only' by an insurer.
Come the revolution I think you will need to be able to show you are a person with appropriate training or whatever the term will be. I think that BPA or IC will / might satisfy this requirement.
Having said all that, 200 quid for a couple of days fun with grub thrown in ain't too bad.

EDIT
Fortunately I still seem to be able to edit this.
Re-reading it, I may have been a bit harsh calling it a rip off!
200 or even 400 quid for good training is probably good value.
My point was rather, that it probably isn't necessary to pay for training if you are interested in becoming a seasonal rigger / firer for a firework display company.
Most will train you for free if you are reliable, loyal and hard working.
I have done IC and BPA courses and I probably only work on less than 10 shows a year, I paid for these courses so I'm just as big a mug as the next bloke when it comes to paying for training.
Cheers.

Edited by martyn, 25 June 2012 - 03:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users