• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Olly12uk

Olly12uk

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hi, firstly I would just like to apologise for the placement of this post, I was unsure as to where I should put this topic, secondly, I am aware that Flash Powder seems to be a bit of a sensitive subject which has been attributed to it being a bit of a grey area in terms of classification. However, I like to make Flash Powder at home and I am looking for a few answers on:
1. Is my FP a High Explosive?
2. Is the FP detonating as opposed to deflagrating?
3. Are there any more safety precautions I should be taking?
4. What other applications are there for FP?
5. General info and advice
Here are a few points;
-My FP is 2:1 Magnalium:Potassium Perchlorate
-It self-confined and exploded with a distinct bang in an open 2-3g pile but in small amounts it has just gone poof as well
-I only mix batches under 10g, usually 3g and always use the diaper method
-I wear a dust mask and make it outside
Right I think that's about it!

#2 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hi Olly

I'm reasonably new to this hobby but have had a long long interest in Pyro and in particular fireworks since my youth. This is not a hobby to get into without careful thought and consideration for the risks. Of all the things you can do, making flash is one of the more risky. It really should be something you try to avoid until you've got more experience with safer stuff.

I would really like to know why you just want to make loud bangs as that is all it is really good for (except boosting breaks on shells and bombettes). Surely there is more fun to be had trying other far more impressive things first? I made my first end burner rocket last week, it actually flew to a good height and didn't cato. I got a huge sense of satisfaction from that. It's taken me a long time to get my BP good enough and my construction just right so the motor generates enough lift but doesn't cato.

It takes 5 minutes and no skill to make a 3g flash based salute.

Advice:

If you must make it then swap your composition to 7-3 flash which is potassium perchlorate 7 (parts) / dark aluminium 3 (parts). It's far safer!!!!
This flash composition needs more to self contain so you are less likely to lose bits of your hands. Also if you are gloved, body covered in cotton and have eye protection you're less likely to get burned too.

As I said I'm new to this and many here have far more experience so don't only take my advice. I'm sure this post will get a few comments! :-)

#3 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

I have to say that the diference between 33.3/66.6% FP and 70/30 is negliable and both are as sensative realistically.

Mgal Is more sensative and powefull as it has sharper edges than ali (like for like particle sizes) so swapping to ali would be better yep.

Bangs are part of the display but JUST bangs are just a recipie for trouble :-(

#4 bangkokpyro

bangkokpyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

I have to say that the diference between 33.3/66.6% FP and 70/30 is negliable and both are as sensative realistically.

Mgal Is more sensative and powefull as it has sharper edges than ali (like for like particle sizes) so swapping to ali would be better yep.

Bangs are part of the display but JUST bangs are just a recipie for trouble :-(

My God! talk about massacring the English language. :)

Mg/Al is not more sensitive and powerful than Aluminium because it has sharp edges. It is more sensitive because it is an alloy containing 50% Magnesium which is more sensitive than plain Aluminium.
Aluminiums used in flash powder are generally flake shaped particles and as such are not sharp unlike granular material. It is the large surface are of the particles that give it it's sensitivity.

Olly.
Is flash powder a 'high explosive ? No and as such does not detonate but this is academic really as even a few grams of any kind of flash will in the right circumstances remove your fingers with ease;
Just a hundred grams will kill you if ignited in an unconfined pile in front of you. No flash powder is safe. 70/30 Perchlorate and Aluminium is probably the 'least dangerous' and exotic mixtures containing
Magnesium, Sulphur, Permanganate, Antimony etc will one day lead you to disaster.

Making bangs is a small part of pyrotechnics and perhaps the easiest way to get hurt or bring unwanted attention to yourself. Far more gratifying and difficult is being able to make other devices
such as fountains wheels, shells, mines etc to a high standard.
My advise would be that if you have to ask the kind of questions that you did in your post you should not be even thinking about making flash powder.
Get some books or look up some information on the internet before you attempt anything else. When you can make a 'hot' Black Powder and put it to use in various devices then maybe
you would be ready to use flash powder wisely in a crossette shell or as a booster in a small shells etc.
A good place to find some safe reliable information would be somewhere like skylighter.com which has a wealth of step by step articles on how to make a multitude of devices safely.

Edited by bangkokpyro, 17 September 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#5 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

My apologies for the lack of spellchecker on my PC at the moment. Also an 11:30pm post after 6 hours in the soaking rain firing a display obviously took its toll.

I agree that I did not even consider the Mg content, but I stand my ground that the particle shape alters the sensitivity and also the power. "Pointy" and cracked-up material will offer somewhere close to the surface area of some flakes, albeit still short of the overall surface to mass ratio.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Bangkok, great point about mines. I think on the road to making great shells they are a perfect starting point. You get the opportunity to test your BP and to get practice making really beautiful star effects. And they are relatively safe devices as they don't involve flying projectiles and as long as you have a good area for fallout then you should be ok.

I layered mine (no pun intended!) with white and blue parlon based stars and the result was fantastic.The blue ones came out slightly ahead of the white which worked very nicely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users