• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

I wonder if someone has time to give me the pros and cons and requirements(space, type of unit,cost) for being licensed to use Cat 4 fireworks. I would also wish to use stage/outdoor Pyro.

I have freelance experience in the FX industry, having done lots of interesting things from big firework displays to rain, fire, snow, and explosions of various type. etc oh and a flamethrower!. As a worker I had no need to buy or store any thing.
In my private life I have done small firework displays, plus some bangs and smoke effects for a laser paintball game for a week, once a year and for the last 2 years the village November 5th display, using cat 3 fireworks.

People like the displays, but they do lack the WOW of Cat 4 shells. So I started thinking would it be cost effect/practical to be in a position to be able to use Cat 4 products. I know all the info is out there on the web, but can anyone give be a beginners guide please.? My Thanks in advance.

Edited by Pyro-centric, 13 November 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#2 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

My advice would be simply to get in with a local cat 4 display company and in return for helping them out see if they will return the favour. Off the tope of my head you will need some form of secure storage i.e a shipping container. Finding one of those for less than £1000 including delivery will be hard then you have got to find a farmer or similar to let you use there land, then licencing etc......

Jay

#3 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, you will also need insurance cover for cat4 which alone will be £1000+ for the bare minimum and thats if you can prove to the insurer you are competant. I am not trying to put you off just giving you an insight.

Jay

#4 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hi Jay Thank you for that, just the sort of info I was looking for. Already on the "not really practical" list. Cheers Al

#5 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Your storage licence will cost £178 for one year upon granting it ( for up to 2000kg) If you want to work under a registration for your storage ( max 100kg HT3 or 250kg HT4 ) then the cost will be £105 for the grant of a 1 year registration.

#6 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thank you Exat. Can you explain what "work under a registration" means please.

#7 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Thank you Exat. Can you explain what "work under a registration" means please.

Your storage container (or similar) needs to be either "registered" or "licenced" to store explosives. Registering has lower cost (as exat stated), but the limits on how much you can store are a lot lower. Licenced storage costs a bit more and allows for (potentially) a lot more storage capacity. The exact quantities of what you can store however will depend on the type of storage unit and distance from roads and houses etc. The MSER 2005 regulations have all the tables of data on that: http://www.legislati...schedule/2/made

#8 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

In response to your overall question, moving up to Cat 4 is something I'm sure every Pyro considers at some point. It is perfectly feasible, as I'm sure many on here can testify, but is is by no means a simple task. The money involved means you will need to be doing a number of shows a year just to cover the costs, so it really depends on your long term plans. If you are doing it just to improve one or two shows you currently do, then the costs will probably make it impractical.
Basically, to buy Cat 4 pyro you will need to prove to the supplier you have the following three things, or they cannot legally supply to you:
1) Training (something recognised and provable such as the UKPS Cat 4 course, BPA, or documented in-house training from a display company).
2) Registered or licensed storage (note that I have seen one or two suppliers who say they won't supply to registered storage holders, only licensed).
3) Year-round insurance for storage and use of the pyro.

#9 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Many thanks Bob, a very concise answer, very helpful..thank you again to all who have taken time to answer my question. Right when is the next roll over??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users