#1 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hi all

I've read a number of posts out there in the interweb that seem to suggest SGRS makes far harder stars than dextrin and is preferred by the Japanese and Chinese manufacturers.

Other benefits include less propensity to hold water (driven in moisture) and it's easier to activate the binder with less water etc etc.

If it is this great then why do most formula state dextrin? Is it worth replacing dextrin and making a large batch?

#2 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

I suspect it is more a case of what is readily available. In the Far East and areas where rice growing and consumption are more prevalent they can turn the excess into SGRS, whereas we are more likely to have corn flour available to make dextrin.

I haven't experimented much with SGRS, as dextrin seems to work just fine to me. It would be interesting to do a comparison of how it affected flame colour, and see which one causes the most discolouration. I would guess that they would be fairly similar though, and the winner of the test would be the stronger of the two binders as you can add less to the composition to achieve the same results.

With the hotter coloured stars (red/green/amber etc) then you are in theory better using a parlon-based binding method, as starches are fairly cool burning fuels in comparison to the metals used, so any cooling is likely to reduce their brightness.

I'll see if I can dig an SGRS sample out and experiment with it in my week off over Christmas.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#3 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Forgive my ignorance but what is SGRS?

#4 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Forgive my ignorance but what is SGRS?

http://www.skylighte...ice-starch.html

#5 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Whoever told you that SGRS is easier to activate or needs less water probably has never worked with it. Many will agree that SGRS takes its sweet time in activating, and generally is quite a bit "thirstier" than dextrin. It also allegedly isn't as tolerant to alcohol in the binding water. That really isn't that big of a deal though. I prefer SGRS for cutting. About as close I've gotten to rolling with it is slurry priming stars. SGRS is ideal for the toro method of rolling, but can be harder to work with if using the spray and dust method. I really don't like it for pressing. I probably just don't have a handle on the optimal wetness, but I've always gotten better and more predictable results with dextrin.

I really don't think that the use of a starch binder is going to affect the star color much. I'm not a big fan of the use of parlon as a binder. It regularly leaves an ugly distracting luminous tail, and increases the burn rate too much.

#6 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Thanks all, I've just tried making some and it's a pita so if I'm not going to get big gains I may give up :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users