#1 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hi all

I've got a few comps for various flashing effect stars but they all tend to be a bit erratic and when I make strobe pots the burn gets too vigorous and you really lose the flashing.

I've heard that the only way to get really good blinkers is using AP. The barium nitrate ones are good for stars but no luck with a bengal blinker.

Any suggestions?

#2 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

Nitrate based strobes are never very regular in their flashing frequency. As far as I've seen if you want a very regular strobe pot, it needs to be AP. I've honestly never really had much of a problem with barium nitrate strobe pots, but haven't made a ton of them. They've always been about as wide as they are tall, and have pretty minimal confinement. They will generally increase in frequency the longer they burn, but I've never really had too much continuous burning.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thanks Mumbles. That's my problem if I make the Barium Nitrate pots taller for longer burns they don't work as well.

#4 bangkokpyro

bangkokpyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Maybe your Magnalium is a little too fine or the amount of fine Mg/Al is too great. If you reduce use more of a coarse Mg/Al say 60 mesh you should get a more pronounced flashing effect.

Nitrate strobe comps work just fine if you get the metal mesh ratios right.

#5 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Maybe your Magnalium is a little too fine or the amount of fine Mg/Al is too great. If you reduce use more of a coarse Mg/Al say 60 mesh you should get a more pronounced flashing effect.

Nitrate strobe comps work just fine if you get the metal mesh ratios right.

I've made some red nitrate strobe pots that had a very regular 1hz flash, but the colour wasn't nearly as good or bright as an AP strobe.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#6 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

All food for thought. The Barium Nitrate formula I have is really bright and flashes really nicely at first but once it gets going to just turns into a very bright, slightly erratic flare. I will definitely try a large mesh and less MgAl to see if that helps. I wonder whether something to inhibit the reaction might help?

I have a sample of AP I am also going to try so I can compare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users