• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I've just stumbled on this post.

http://spitalfieldsl...work-collector/

I'm not even sure how I got there, but I thought it may interest one or two.

If he has still got them he may donate them to the museum.

Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I know Maurice (although I haven't spoken to him in a few years) and he has probably the largest collection of firework memorabilia in the country. He has exhibited his collection at Waltham Abbey gunpowder mills and elsewhere. I know that at one time he was looking for a permanent home to exhibit it. This is not just a few items. This collection would require a dedicated building to house it all. I have been to his house and seen a small percentage of it. Richard H is aware of Maurice and will possibly be contacting him for his research on Standard.

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I believe Maurice has donated some or all of his collection to the new folklaw museum - not sure if it ever got going.

I spoke to him in the early days of Amberley, but he did not seem very keen on donating anything - it is an amazing collection. Hope it ends up somewhere.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#4 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

I believe Maurice has donated some or all of his collection to the new folklaw museum - not sure if it ever got going.

I spoke to him in the early days of Amberley, but he did not seem very keen on donating anything - it is an amazing collection. Hope it ends up somewhere.

Phil,

Given the Amberley project is as yet on hold for the time being, maybe the answer is try and encourage him to at least donate them in his will to say a bonifide organisation like the Museum of London for safe keeping/storage/display reasons = as a society we could perhaps then negotiate with the museum to use them for future AGM displays etc for helping them aquire the collection?

#5 Monocle

Monocle

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Wonderful! But what on earth are those fruit fireworks? Presents for unpopular hospital patients?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users