7 replies to this topic

#1 roddilla

roddilla

Roderick Abdilla

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

I am a new member in this society and I actually live in Malta.

Is there a way to make coloured stars with Potassium Nitrate or Potassium Permanganate? Those are the only oxidizers which I have. In addition I have PVC, BaO, CuO, SrCO3, Zinc, Dextrin, aluminium powder, Sulfur and Charcoal.

Thanks for your help

#2 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Ypur permanganate wants to be gotten rid of as theres realistically no use for it in safe pyro, Pot nit there are a few but your limited. Search online theres loads of info or glitters may be a good starting point.

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

The history of fireworks includes a lot of work before the Chlorates and perchlorates were available as oxidisers, but prior to these fireworks were very much based on gunpowder and charcoal effects. The Chlor compounds were the oxidisers that made colours strong and viable.

However there are huge pyro genres that are still basically BP based and have shape and form but little colour and they tend to use KNO3.

Personally I advise AGAINST using KMnO4 in pyro.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Personally I like granite stars 

Zinc Powder 61
Potassium nitrate 22
Charcoal (Airfloat) 11
Sulfur 4
Dextrin 2

Or pearl streamer (very similar to granite)

Zinc powder 40

Potassium nitrate 35
Charcoal (airfloat) 15
Sulfur 5
Dextrin 5

Both are a very simple formulae, easy to make, great as cut stars and easy to light and prime with a basic BP even green mix. I think they look really nice too.

They will look very much like this one I fired earlier this year: http://www.youtube.c...?v=VF7rU87GHNA 

Edited by Sparky, 10 March 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#5 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

I have just watched a couple of your videos Sparky, you friends and family are awesome! Its seems thay are as much into this as you my friend :)

Jay

#6 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Hi Jay

Ah yes the long suffering in-laws with a big garden. The only family I know who actually enjoy me terrorising their neighbours with various fireworks.

To be fair, I think the 4 inch shells are a thing of the past, their garden is not quite long enough to be safe for them :-(

#7 Atom Fireworks

Atom Fireworks

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ha Ha, 3" is plenty though!

#8 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

Nitrates will only really give enough heat for coloured flame with magnesium as a fuel, you should be able to make some kind of reddish flame with KNO3, Mg, SrCO3 and PVC, though it would be better using Sr(NO3)2. As you're on Malta why not join one of the clubs or factories, there all the chems will be available and you'll get the chance to help make some of the world's best fireworks - I envy you! 

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Permanganate, Coloured stars, Blue star, Red Star

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users