5 replies to this topic

#1 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

In my first post in a very long time here, I've found an interesting document that someone may want to see from the UKPS. I occasionally read contents of this journal but not too often.

http://onlinelibrary...300033/abstract

A bit of research shows ferrates would probably be limited in application for a few reasons. One, they oxidize all the primary alcohols, which severely limits its application. I hesitate to think of what would happen if it came in contact with acetone by accident. Secondly, they suffer greater issues with water than perchlorates do.

But it looks - without having purchased the article, I admit - that they believe ferrates still have potential.

#2 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Decomposes in water though! Lots of things would change if the Chinese couldn't roll stars with water spray

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#3 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

I believe the water has to be warm in order for it to decompose. That does, of course, stop any drying methods from incorporating heat. Strike 3 against ferrates. I wonder if any of the other ferrates have potential.

Edited by MDH, 09 November 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

While I like "new" we must be careful to ensure that it's better and safer to use.

Years ago someone tried to make BP with Chlorate which was new but not better or safer and a whole town in Kent was destroyed by a spontaneous explosion.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Acetone, a ketone, is the most highly oxidized form of secondary alcohols, so it might actually be an ideal solvent.  All the potentiall applications they describe in the paper are also solvent-less.  They're all powder based, or dry pressed effects.  It might have applications in military things, but probably not for us.

#6 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

I was thinking more of trace quantities decomposing in warmth in a wet star and forming acetone peroxide.

This makes me wonder... Does anyone in this day and age still produce pillbox stars? Or drier/dry pressed stars and comets?

Edited by MDH, 18 November 2013 - 07:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users