• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Thought I'd do a little write up of last night with the forum being a bit slow.

We went to a friends house last night to let the new year in and everyone asked me to sort a small display, yesterday afternoon (talk about short notice). Well I had about a dozen decent consumer fireworks in stock but no rockets.

On my hands and knees,head to the back of the pyro cupboard, arse stickin' out, muttering "I know I've got some somewhere". Aha gotya, a ziplock bag with silica gel and 8 rocket motors.

The only thing I had for headers was 16 homemade 3" hemi's.

Then I went for the stars, Damn, barely enough for 3 headers, just yellow and blue left.

I had no choice but to make some flash for the remaining 5, I'm going to end 2013 with a bang.

No pasting today I thought, so out came the masking tape and duck tape.

I had plenty of bp coated buddleia husks for the break.

Now then, how much flash shall I make. I concluded on a 15 gram baggy for each. :wacko: . 10 grams  makes me sweat.

75 grams it is then, it felt like forever mixing that little lot.

Masking tape for the star shells and 4 layers of very sticky duck tape for the flash shells.

Headers and sticks hot glued on, fused together and loaded into their launch tubes.

Wow, just enough time for a shower and we're off.

The consumers were ok, the star shells were ok, but the flash shells, well talk about rattling windows. The ground shook and they thumped you right in the chest.

We stayed for another half hour and all the talk was about them there bangs.

I will be making some more of them. :P

Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#2 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Well they had no business being asleep anyway...

Just some consumer stuff for me - quite good though.

Hopefully this year will see my experimental facilities up and running - & then watch out!

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#3 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Wish I had been there Deano, I ended up just looking at other peoples stuff from the garden at a friends house and then took a long walk home in the pitch black.

It is amazing how many people you pass by doing the same thing on new year, all very friendly and jovial.

One person jumped out of there skin when I said happy new year, asking me were are you in the darkness.

Edited by Vic, 01 January 2014 - 11:18 PM.

Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#4 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:13 AM

I was away skiing with my son for NYE which is most people's books is an awesome way to spend NYE. Is it sad of me that my one biggest regrets for being away is not having the night to fire some homebrew?

Edited by Sparky, 05 January 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#5 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Not sad at all Sparky

Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#6 nihc

nihc

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

I was in Saalbach in Austria skiing for New Year, so couldn't do my normal display.

This is the 4th time in Austria for New Year and I love it. They either don't have the same Firework laws or they simply ignore them :)

Kids setting off cakes in the streets, bottle rockets flying around, hotel staff throwing bangers. Now, I'm not condoning any of this, but it shows what a nanny state we live in :)

Regards.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

I will never forget being handed a rocket (not a small one either) told to hold it in my gloved hand and then watch as the crazy norwegian guy lit it. They were all doing it. Totally bonkers. It was a good 25 years ago though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users