• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:13 AM

There's been another post about meeting up on the forum. This is an old chestnut, but worthy of consideration I feel. Now apologies if this is a bit forward but here goes anyway....

On Sat 4th September, there's the Festival of Fireworks at Shugborough. It's run by Jubilee fireworks and is reason alone to make the journey as it's *very* impressive. This year features displays by Kimbolton, Spitfire, Merlin, and Jubilee

It's in the Midlands so is *fairly* central to a large number of people. For persons who live further away there are a few campsites in nearby cannock chase [v.pretty!], along with a number of B&B's / Hotels in the area for those who like their creature comforts.

In addition I have a mate who has his boat moored about a mile away from Shugborough next to a big [huge actually] field. The owner of said field has given permission to camp and fire/display there in the past and I see no reason why we he should not give permission again. [He actually does clay pigeon shooting there so loud bangs are no problem]

Proposed plan

Arrive in field about midday
Afternoon spent doing pyro stuff - to be decided but thoughts so far are
  • BP lift competition
  • charcoal making
  • tube rolling
  • ritual hiding of Adam's big stick
  • etc
BBQ at about 6
Shugborough firework display
Beer in the pub at GtHayward, or back at the field

Any takers? Fine idea or fowl?

#2 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:38 AM

This sounds like a marvellous idea! Count me in!

:D
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 12:34 PM

I could go for that...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#4 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 04:41 PM

What you mean.. ritual hiding of Adam's big stick ?
isnt that being used in the charcoal making ?

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#5 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 05:30 PM

Oh If you go to the pub afterwards that means no under 18's and a lot of this forum are under 18. Please take this into consideration.

Kyle

#6 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 05:52 PM

I'll certainly be at Shugborough again, so I might see a few of you chaps around! :)

#7 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:31 PM

Please remember that the stick is indestrutable and answers only to me.
I concur, as from what I have deduced from the proposed schedule, that things are kept 'legal' - i.e. no 'Live' making etc etc. Charcoal cooking sounds a great idea though. Please be aware that you will absolutely reek afterwards. I have fired with one of the competitors; Spirfire, before, so probably this time too (hint hint: opportunity for a site visit maybe? I will ask)
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#8 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:23 PM

Quick note for the under 18's - Pub in question has a handy beer garden which is open to those who are wise in attitude, but young in years.

Shugborough generally ends about 10-10:30, so any "drinkeninginging" at the pub will not be extended.

I generally get a few down me just before firing time [all the better to cheer the fireworks on I find]. It's so rare that I get to do this. Usually when there is any pyro around I'm firing and therefore of a sober disposition

Adam - I would bloody LOVE a tour of the firing site, as would any one of us attending I suspect. I also suspect that reeking of smoke/charcoal amongst fellow pyro nuts would not be the faux-pas it would in "normal" social circles.

#9 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:43 PM

I've asked my parents, and they seem pretty receptive to the idea. I know I haven't been around here very long, but I'd like to meet you guys, and a tour of the firing site would be really, really great. Plus seeing the show would make up nicely for not being able to get to Plymouth. I can bring you all some cuttings from my Magical Willow of Power too. I look forward to it!

#10 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:57 PM

Sounds like a good laugh :) and I would love to go, just have to see about getting there, might be a bit of a treck from Central Scotland :P

Fraser

Edited by Loci, 02 March 2004 - 11:18 PM.

"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#11 StfuStuf

StfuStuf

Hardcore

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:29 PM

Yeah I'll fly over there and... *sniff* I wish there were more Canadian pyro events :(. Damn stupid.. blah!

Edited by StfuStuf, 02 March 2004 - 11:29 PM.

the best bands to hear while making fireworks:exploited,distillers,rancid,billy talent, refused,sexpistols,unseen,sublime

#12 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:43 AM

Sounds like a great idea!
As to the charcoal making, are there lots of different tree types nearbye?

#13 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 11:49 AM

I should think so, and since their is a canal near by, there should lots of water loving trees around like Salix, alder, Downy birch to use :lol:

Anyway, there will also be the usual array of hard wood trees about, oak, beech, sycamore and softwoods like pines, maple and larch...

Edited by Loci, 03 March 2004 - 12:04 PM.

#14 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:19 PM

You don't mess with adam’s stick. I personally saw the stick pick up a person and drop him into a 42inch mortar, just before the shell was about to take off.

I usually lark somewhere in the park during the shoot. I’ll try to drop in if I have the time.

#15 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 12:53 PM

:o ouchies

Fraser

0 user(s) are reading this topic