72 replies to this topic

#16 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 01:52 PM

Regarding Charcoal cooking

The mooring field I'm thinking of has a common "BBQ" area which features [surprise, surprise] a brick BBQ, and also an oildrum with some holes punched in which serves as a brazier. It's this oildrum I'm thinking of for our charcoal cooker.

What we need is
  • A bunch of wood for firing the brazier
  • Whatever woods we want to cook into charcoal [I'd quite like to see balsa!]
  • A bunch of biscuit tins
  • Some sort of arrangement whereby tins can be safely inserted/removed from the fire
Now then. Whilst there are a bunch of waterloving trees nearby, we should remember that people *live* here and would not be too happy seeing a bunch of smokeblackened pyronauts [love that word] descending on what is effectively their garden with acquisitive looks on their faces, axes in their hands, and vegetative murder in their hearts. Nor would they be too happy to see their woodpiles diminish either.

What this means is that you would have to get your own wood

[Insert punchline here!]

So - To recap. Best behaiviour would be required. Leave the site in better condition to which we found it [if poss - it's pretty nice already]. If we get this right we might be able to make this a regular thing...

#17 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 02:41 PM

Bring our own wood ? :S Hmm, wonder what ryan air will say lol

When making charcoal, you could always just scavange all the dead and dry wood lying about... dig a big pit in the ground and burn it in the pit with it covered over the top. I know thats not very clear but I will do my research later...

Aulder/Elder is a weed tree anyway, I hate it and it stinks :( burn em all I say :P

Fraser
"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#18 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 05:19 PM

I would love it to meet up but the problem is I live in Sweden... :-/
The ferry is the most economical way to get there (?20) but takes something like 24h. And when I get there I have no Id? where to go or how!

I have rigged one of the largest fireworks here ( the show included 12" shells / the shock wave feels great :-) ) and I would like it a lot to see how it?s done in the UK.

/Unsure

#19 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 11:16 AM

What this means is that you would have to get your own wood

I would like to refine this to the following

What this means is that you would have to cut your wood in a responsible and socially careful manner.

Clear enough? Nuff said....

Yugen, If you want I can give you some travel directions and/or rail timetables to aid you getting to Shugborough. Just let me know where in the UK you'd be landing...

#20 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:45 PM

Newcastle. but I don?t know if I can come... The school starts in august... I don?t know if any of my friens would like to tag along... I don?t like traveling alone... hmmm... it would be fun to come... <_<

#21 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:16 AM

I would love to come to shugnoboroughie this year. I've been looking at some slo-mo video from a previous shoot - great stuff. Does camping mean I don't need a ticket?, or will we be going on-site? If so, how do I get a ticket, as the website was not much help. Will be sure to bring along my lithium-fire Bo staff.

Can't wait!

#22 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:48 AM

You will be unable to camp within Shugborough itself. Now as with any firework display, there are always going to be places where you can view the display without paying.

However...
  • You will lose all the choreographing effort that has been put into the display as the sounds will not match up to the sights. Last years opening sequence by Sandling was one of the finest examples of Music/Pyro choreography you will ever see. I'll try and post the a video of this later so you can see what I mean...
  • The display is shot to maximise the effect to the paying audience. You lose some of that also.
  • If you don't go onsite, you will be unable to get a tour of the firing site
  • My final point on this matter is most certainly a personal opinion. I do not want to deprive these firework companies of their reward. They put a lot of work into this, and I *really* look forward to them. The Rev.Ron Lancaster owns Kimbolton fer chrissakes - I never want anyone to be able to say I gypped him out of ?15.
Instructions on how to get a ticket are detailed on the bottom of the webpage I linked to earlier.

PS: What's your "Lithium-Fire Bo staff"?

#23 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:00 AM

I see....... :lol: Good Ol' telephone ordering.... will be sure to buy some tickets.

My interests include martial arts weapons, and I've been using nunchaku, poi, 3-section staff, and staff for a while. A while back I discovered staffs equipped with kevlar wicks at both ends. Usually they are dipped in paraffin and burnt - nice yellow flames. Then remembered the skylighter article on coloured fire........... Hence the Lithium. Aah, the wonders of pyrotechnic chemistry.

Look forward to meeting y'all :D

#24 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:06 AM

Sounds pretty cool

#25 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:42 AM

Well the Shugborough shoot is now less than four weeks away and my tickets have just arrived. I am looking forward to seeing a lot of you guys there - Along with the prospect of seeing some fairly awesome pyro of course! [Wonder what Kimbolton will be treating us with!]

However I am currently having a bit of trouble with getting us access to a suitable secluded area for charcoal cooking etc. The original field I had in mind is planted with corn is likely to be extremely flammable right about then. [Boo!] I'll work on getting us another location but there is a chance that this meetup might not be too "active".

On the assumption that there are no objections to this then I would like to put the following plan forward.

I shall be in the beer garden of the pub in Great Haywood from about 3pm onwards. This is accessible without having to go into the pub, and is viewable from the road also. If anyone wants to come for a natter I'd be pleased to stand them an appropriate beverage

The gates open at 5pm. My wife and I shall be taking a picnic [in through the back entrance to Shugborough] soon after this and scoffing this on the lawn in front of the house. We'd welcome the opportunity to swap sarnies/porkpies with anyone who wants to join us! [NB: Finding us on the lawn may be difficult as there are usually loadsa people there. If anybody wants my mobile no, then PM me. I'll then be able to direct you to our location].

(Adam would you be able to organise a tour of the firing site at this point?)

Fireworks start at 8:30-8:45 usually, There are four 15-20 min displays [one from each of the exhibitors] with a 10 min break inbetween each one. Should be finished by 10:15.

Repair to the pub/beergarden for last orders and a discussion of the shoot.

Website with all the details

http://www.jubileefi....co.uk/shug.htm

Staying over:
There is a Campsite in CannockChase about 3-4 miles from Shugborough. Details available on request
I can also provide details of B&B's / Hotels etc should that be required

Public transport:
Stafford is the nearest town with good train links. If you're hitting Stafford on the Saturday then PM me as I can give you a lift out Shugborough [and probably back to Stafford also]

#26 chemicalwazi

chemicalwazi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:42 PM

All sounds good to me, just need clearance! :D

Hope to see you there!
"The Saltpeter is the Soule, the Sulphur the Life, and the Coales the Body of it"

#27 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:04 PM

Here is the opening sequence to last years show. [Advise broadband owners only - It's 10Mb!]

Click here to download

As you can see the choreography is beyond excellent. Those booms aren't lift charges [although they sound like they are] - they are the drumbeats at the start of the music!

#28 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:45 PM

I shall be there! Luckily I'll be taking a tour of the Kimbolton setup and having a chat with Ron. Maybe we should arrange a meet-up at a location on the field?

#29 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:22 AM

That's a good plan. Shall we say directly in front of the steps up to the big house, whilst still being on the field.

Just name the time.

#30 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 05:25 PM

RegimentalPyro,
Whithout giving anything away.... Kimboltons show will... well.... put it this way, well worth the trip to see.
Hope to catch up with a few of you there as well... Richard, No doubt I will see you on the site with Ron.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users